XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

X6 ranks 9th in automotive technology

http://www.isuppli.com/NewsDetail.aspx?ID=20073

Name:  Auto_Index_0090402.jpg
Views: 5774
Size:  57.8 KB
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

wow 6 out of 10 are bimmers ???? 4 some reason this list seems to be made by bimmer loyalists lol
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Does not make sense to me.

I can see the 7 series, but why are the X6, 5 and 6 series ranked differently?

There is more technology and options available on the X6 over the 5 and 6, more available in the 5 over the 6.

I am not sure what the criteria is.
      04-07-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Maybe just features in the cabin or things like advanced cruise control.

I don't think anyone really looked at the x6's advanced technology package of computer controlled suspension-drivetrain combination. I’ve read comparison to Acura RL’s all wheel drive, but every review I read said the car was pretty lame from a pure performance standpoint.

The x6’s v8 engine is an engineering master piece of compact design with huge hp and torque, and the modularity of putting twin turbos in the engine valley is ingenious. Basically, BMW can drop that same engine into any of the chassis that have room for a v8.

Polls like that are always amazing and make you wonder where the data came from.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Maybe just features in the cabin or things like advanced cruise control.

I don't think anyone really looked at the x6's advanced technology package of computer controlled suspension-drivetrain combination. I’ve read comparison to Acura RL’s all wheel drive, but every review I read said the car was pretty lame from a pure performance standpoint.

The x6’s v8 engine is an engineering master piece of compact design with huge hp and torque, and the modularity of putting twin turbos in the engine valley is ingenious. Basically, BMW can drop that same engine into any of the chassis that have room for a v8.

Polls like that are always amazing and make you wonder where the data came from.
It's not a poll. iSuppli usually does tear downs for OEMs. I know them from electronic gear tear downs like the Apple iPhone or the RIM Blackberry Bold, etc. They crack stuff open to figure out what is inside and do a complete write up on what parts are used, what they cost, what the assembly costs are, what the packaging costs, etc. I just recently found out that they also offer other services like the technology ranking on car electronics. If you are a manufacturer and you want an independent company to review your stuff, iSuppli is the company that pretty much everyone turns to. They have been around for quite some time.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Does not make sense to me.

I can see the 7 series, but why are the X6, 5 and 6 series ranked differently?

There is more technology and options available on the X6 over the 5 and 6, more available in the 5 over the 6.

I am not sure what the criteria is.
+1
yes how is it the other Bimmers are ranked above the X6 , it has new engine and new rear end. none of the others have this , so if they are ranking based on "advanced technology" don't see how they got there.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 02:52 AM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

strange...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 03:35 AM   #8
Nezo86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
+1
yes how is it the other Bimmers are ranked above the X6 , it has new engine and new rear end. none of the others have this , so if they are ranking based on "advanced technology" don't see how they got there.
I was wondering the same thing....
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

They are looking at the electronics package more than anything else. From the link in the original post:
About iSuppli’s Technology Availability Index
iSuppli’s Technology Availability Index is based on a global survey of planned production cars around the world and is based on automakers deployment of 35 key technology features in the areas of telematics, navigation, digital entertainment and safety. These technology features take into account various hardware, software, wireless, safety and driver assist features. Key technologies include monitored telematics and Location-Based Services (LBS), as well as Human Machine Interface (HMI) features such as touch control, head-up display, instrument cluster displays and voice recognition, which are all equally scored.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
miktrebla09
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: biped

Go BMW (and hyundai....)

hehe
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #11
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

As Kojak pointed out, they are referring to electronics and not mechanical engineering. Otherwise, I think there would also be a LOT of other cars represented in this list.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

What I found interesting is that there isn't a single MB in the top 10. But then again, they are usually about a generation behind BMW with their electronics.

e.g. Bluetooth integration, USB/iPod/iPhone integration, voice recognition, navigation system, satellite radio integration...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #13
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I don't know with this fascination for electronic gadgets I think I should just build a go cart with sticky tires, slap a fiberglass body on it and put the latest computer with wizzy bang graphics (Radeon HD 4870 X2, it's even painted red) and sell it.

To me if you're going to rate a car it should be on how fast it goes, how quick it stops and how well it corners, foot notes on comfort.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #14
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't know with this fascination for electronic gadgets I think I should just build a go cart with sticky tires, slap a fiberglass body on it and put the latest computer with wizzy bang graphics (Radeon HD 4870 X2, it's even painted red) and sell it.

To me if you're going to rate a car it should be on how fast it goes, how quick it stops and how well it corners, foot notes on comfort.
In a way you are right, but everyone (including me and you) looks at a car a different way and also looks for different things in a car. That's the beauty of having different manufacturers with different models on the market. It would be a rather dull world if there was only one car out there available in only one color with one configuration and everyone would have to drive it.

Not to mention the nightmare for some people trying to find THEIR car in a shopping mall parking lot!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
In a way you are right, but everyone (including me and you) looks at a car a different way and also looks for different things in a car. That's the beauty of having different manufacturers with different models on the market. It would be a rather dull world if there was only one car out there available in only one color with one configuration and everyone would have to drive it.

Not to mention the nightmare for some people trying to find THEIR car in a shopping mall parking lot!
Agree on lots of choices, but ranking cars based on their electronics as having the newest technology.

I like the fob beep when I come back to airport , it's handy after doing 4 cities in 3 days. never lost my car at the mall but for those that do I guess it's handy there too. So i like electronics just have a hard time ranking cars that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #16
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Agree on lots of choices, but ranking cars based on their electronics as having the newest technology.

I like the fob beep when I come back to airport , it's handy after doing 4 cities in 3 days. never lost my car at the mall but for those that do I guess it's handy there too. So i like electronics just have a hard time ranking cars that way.
I guess these guys just need something to do and to be able to justify their job
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #17
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

[QUOTE=dmlgc;4887179]go cart with sticky tires, slap a fiberglass body on it and put the latest computer with wizzy bang graphics (Radeon HD 4870 X2, it's even painted red)

I found just what you were looking for in the lobby of AMD's corporate offices in Sunnyvale. Its a Ferrari and uses AMD processors for control! Tires are just about as wide as on the X6
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #18
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

[QUOTE=Kojak;4890003]
Quote:
go cart with sticky tires, slap a fiberglass body on it and put the latest computer with wizzy bang graphics (Radeon HD 4870 X2, it's even painted red)

I found just what you were looking for in the lobby of AMD's corporate offices in Sunnyvale. Its a Ferrari and uses AMD processors for control! Tires are just about as wide as on the X6
LOL !

They even have a bar code on it so that you can scan it with your Bond style wrist watch and don't have to remember if that's your car ... or wait, is that for the gas pump to know what fuel it needs ??? I keep forgetting...

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #19
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

naw for the electronic gadget crowd way too much car and not enough gee wizz electronics. Is this at AMD at Lawrence expressway and 101 ?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #20
Christiaan
Rep
Drives: Benz E AMG, X5 2008 4.8i Loade

And No Mercedes Benz? Wtf...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #21
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiaan View Post
And No Mercedes Benz? Wtf...
well they were using electronic technology to judge and MB has always been behind in electronics (are they offering bluetooth yet ?)
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #22
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
well they were using electronic technology to judge and MB has always been behind in electronics (are they offering bluetooth yet ?)
Apparently in the latest models they finally are... and they are all very proud of it too.

When I test drove an S550 AMG 4Matic that MB loaned to me for a few days, the sales guy from the dealership was all proud and told me that you can now control the radio by means of voice instructions... I thought to myself, hmmm... I had that in my BMW for YEARS!
Appreciate 0