XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-26-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
rdk
Rep
Drives: 09 X6 50i VR Blk Nappa

Telephone Volume

The default setting for the telephone volume (ringer and voice) is extremely low. This causes me to have to turn the volume up each time I make or receive a call. Is it possible to adjust the default setting?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 05:53 AM   #2
rockmed
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdk View Post
The default setting for the telephone volume (ringer and voice) is extremely low. This causes me to have to turn the volume up each time I make or receive a call. Is it possible to adjust the default setting?
Are you turning the car knob volume of the phone volume? You need to turn up the car knob volume and it should memorize the settings. To adjust the ring volume, do so from the phone itself.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 08:38 AM   #3
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I find myself having to do this everytime as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

The volume control knob is multi-function.

When you are listening to the radio/CD/iPOD, adjust the knob for the ideal volume setting.

When the Nav voice is speaking, the knob is used for its volume level.

When the phone is in use, the knob is for the phone.

Each of the various functions that have audio out, have separate audio volume levels controlled by the same knob and is stored in memory.

Use another phone to call the phone in your car and adjust the volume knob as the phone is ringing.
      11-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
The volume control knob is multi-function.

When you are listening to the radio/CD/iPOD, adjust the knob for the ideal volume setting.

When the Nav voice is speaking, the knob is used for its volume level.

When the phone is in use, the knob is for the phone.

Each of the various functions that have audio out, have separate audio volume levels controlled by the same knob and is stored in memory.

Use another phone to call the phone in your car and adjust the volume knob as the phone is ringing.
I think the OP understands all of this but what I think he was asking is if there is a way to set the default volume and not have to adjust it higher everytime he turns car off and gets back in and another call comes through. I know my default setting is very low and I always have to turn the volume up everytime I get into the car
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
I think the OP understands all of this but what I think he was asking is if there is a way to set the default volume and not have to adjust it higher everytime he turns car off and gets back in and another call comes through. I know my default setting is very low and I always have to turn the volume up everytime I get into the car
I have never had that issue. The volume stays wherever I leave it.

Maybe it is the phone you folks are using?

I use a Blackberry Pearl.
      11-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I have never had that issue. The volume stays wherever I leave it.

Maybe it is the phone you folks are using?

I use a Blackberry Pearl.
Once you get into your X6 the next time is the volume already at the same level you set it to during the last time you used the X6 or do you have to readjust and turn it up and then it stays at whatever volume you set it to?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
Once you get into your X6 the next time is the volume already at the same level you set it to during the last time you used the X6 or do you have to readjust and turn it up and then it stays at whatever volume you set it to?
Yes. did you set your speed volume? If it is too sensitive that will adjust volume down when there is not a lot of cabin noise.
      11-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #9
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes. did you set your speed volume? If it is too sensitive that will adjust volume down when there is not a lot of cabin noise.
That may be the problem. I may have that turned up too much. I will have to check when I get back in town.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
rdk
Rep
Drives: 09 X6 50i VR Blk Nappa

I have confirmed speed sensitivity is set to the lowest setting. My car does not retain the volume setting after the ignition is turned off. It reverts back to the low default setting. Why would this be a problem with some X6s and not others?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have confirmed speed sensitivity is set to the lowest setting. My car does not retain the volume setting after the ignition is turned off. It reverts back to the low default setting. Why would this be a problem with some X6s and not others?
I have the 35, you have the 50. I suspect there is a different iDrive software version. Could be the issue. A bug of some kind.

Last edited by chuck92103; 11-30-2008 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 02:44 AM   #12
dimitrik
Private
France
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Hey chuck, don't feel alone, I have the 50i and have the same issue. It seems to remember the CD/Radio/AUX setting but as for the telephone and nav system, no luck. Every time I start up the car it is at the absolute minimum volume level.

It's starting to get on my nerves so much that I'm thinking of taking her in but I know iDrive updates to sooooooooooo lond they have to keep her there for a while!

Plus I'm worried they'll try and pass it off as a "feature"! I used to have the speed dependant volume all the way to the top, then after reading here I tried lowering it and still nothing. It makes the beginning of a phone conversation really hard and it's tricky when you're listening to music to shoot up the volume of the nav for the brief seconds she actually says something.

My only guess is it's a bug in this version of the iDrive on the X6. If you have any luck fixing it at the dealer let me know. I might try to pop by late this week to see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #13
chuck92103
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrik View Post
Hey chuck, don't feel alone, I have the 50i and have the same issue. It seems to remember the CD/Radio/AUX setting but as for the telephone and nav system, no luck. Every time I start up the car it is at the absolute minimum volume level.

It's starting to get on my nerves so much that I'm thinking of taking her in but I know iDrive updates to sooooooooooo lond they have to keep her there for a while!

Plus I'm worried they'll try and pass it off as a "feature"! I used to have the speed dependant volume all the way to the top, then after reading here I tried lowering it and still nothing. It makes the beginning of a phone conversation really hard and it's tricky when you're listening to music to shoot up the volume of the nav for the brief seconds she actually says something.

My only guess is it's a bug in this version of the iDrive on the X6. If you have any luck fixing it at the dealer let me know. I might try to pop by late this week to see what they say.
RDK has the issue not me. I meant the issue may be isolated to the 50. We will see if others chime in with in the issue on a 35.
      11-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #14
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

No issue with my 35.... the volume is held at the level it was last set at, and the settings are remembered the next time a call comes in regardless of how many times the car is stopped and started.

Cheers, Anteater
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #15
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Sounds like it is something isolated to the 50i model only. I also just had every update available while my X6 was at the dealer for two weeks as well as iDrive updates and nothing changed and I still have the same problem in mine. I will probably ask about it the next time my X6 goes in for anything. If anyone else takes in for this reason before me, please let us know what the sevice department says.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #16
dimitrik
Private
France
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
So just got back from my dealer and told them about the problem with the volume for the phone and the nav system. Although they haven't heard of this before in the X6, this has apparently been a problem in 3 and 5 series in the past.

Got an appointment booked for the 7th Jan to get the iDrive updated, so I'll let you all know if they were able to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 04:05 AM   #17
dimitrik
Private
France
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Got my car back from the dealer and guess what, problem is still there. They explained to me that this is a problem that BMW is now aware of with the 50i version of the iDrive software and will be fixed by upgrading to version 2.33. He actually showed me the BMW bulletin.

The great part??? 2.33 will not be released until March 2009!!! Oh well a couple more months I guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #18
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

This is an issue with my '09 35i too. My iphone has the same problem. To clarify, I'm using it with bluetooth. Every time it has to re-establish connection with the car I have to crank up the volume. Its very annoying as you sometimes can't hear the phone on the other end ring, or you miss part of them saying hello.

Sometimes I try to compensate by over-cranking the volume, which then gives me this shrilly sound which I have to then reduce.

I ordered the iphone smartphone integration kit but the cradle is currently on back order. When this arrives I will be able to plug in the phone when in the car. This will give me the added benefit of charging the phone too!

I'll report back when I get this to see what effect if any it may have on volume. For others on this post, please clarify if you are using bluetooth or plugging in your phone.

Thanks!
ANDREW
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
dimitrik
Private
France
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollner View Post
This is an issue with my '09 35i too. My iphone has the same problem. To clarify, I'm using it with bluetooth. Every time it has to re-establish connection with the car I have to crank up the volume. Its very annoying as you sometimes can't hear the phone on the other end ring, or you miss part of them saying hello.

Sometimes I try to compensate by over-cranking the volume, which then gives me this shrilly sound which I have to then reduce.

I ordered the iphone smartphone integration kit but the cradle is currently on back order. When this arrives I will be able to plug in the phone when in the car. This will give me the added benefit of charging the phone too!

I'll report back when I get this to see what effect if any it may have on volume. For others on this post, please clarify if you are using bluetooth or plugging in your phone.

Thanks!
ANDREW

Are you talking about the original iPhone or the 3G? I use the 3G but unfortunately my problem doesn't stem from the phone. I have tried my old original iPhone and a blackberry all with the same result.

In your case, does this volume problem only occur with the phone or do you also have it with the Nav volume? For me it is both phone and nav volume are at minimum everytime I start up the car.

Even with the iPhone snap-in, your audio will still be via bluetooth so I doubt it will help it, but if you have any success please let me know. I have a nice long wait until they release the software update in March!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #20
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are you talking about the original iPhone or the 3G? I use the 3G but unfortunately my problem doesn't stem from the phone. I have tried my old original iPhone and a blackberry all with the same result.

In your case, does this volume problem only occur with the phone or do you also have it with the Nav volume? For me it is both phone and nav volume are at minimum everytime I start up the car.

Even with the iPhone snap-in, your audio will still be via bluetooth so I doubt it will help it, but if you have any success please let me know. I have a nice long wait until they release the software update in March!
Mine's the 3G. I haven't checked the Nav volume. I'll get back to you on this one.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #21
dimitrik
Private
France
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollner View Post
Mine's the 3G. I haven't checked the Nav volume. I'll get back to you on this one.
So if you have the 3G, can I ask what the smartphone inegration pack is that you have ordered? Has a snap-in adapter finally been released for the iPhone 3G?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #22
apollner
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So if you have the 3G, can I ask what the smartphone inegration pack is that you have ordered? Has a snap-in adapter finally been released for the iPhone 3G?

Thanks!
Yes, its the snap-in adapter I'm waiting for.
Appreciate 0