XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

05-30-2009, 06:15 AM   #1
Alex 888
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6 3.5i

Shock! All BMW X6 (at least in Russia) Have an error in engine work!

HI ALL
There is in BMW X6 the conflict between the active steering system and DME. You can see this problem on any car BMW X6 with active steering system. Before this test you have to switch off the air conditioner.
So, you have to start cold engine (or start engine after the car doesn’t work aprx.20min). After this you can hear that the cooling fan starts working (approximately on 35 % of the powerful). But , if you turn the steering wheel till the extreme position (it doesn’t matter to the left or to the right) – the cooling fan switches off completely. And it starts working again only when the temperature of antifreeze rise up 108 degrees.
So, if you don’t turn the steering wheel till the extreme position before you are going to start driving, the cooling fan keep working on the cold engine. As a result it will cause such problems as: 1. Increase in consumption of quantity of gasoline.- It is not good for environment.
2. The increased deterioration of details of the engine.
3. In the winter the car cannot get warm much longer that it’s expected.
4 and other ……
Also I have got the Independent expert appraisal.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I haven't seen this issue after driving mine for about a year, which X6 are you referring to ? Only time I hear fan on is after I have been driving it hard and I park it, then fan runs for a little while.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Alex 888
Registered
Rep

Hello!
Generally, I’m speaking about X6 3,5i. But recently I’ve seen several X6 5,0i and two X5 (E70), that have the same issue as mine.
Actually, it quiet difficult to hear how the fan runs on its 35% power, when you sit in the car and start engine. I bumped into this issue in my first day with X6, and I paid attention on it only because this issue was much bigger and obvious, the fan runs so loudly (on 100% its power) on the cold engine, it was so strange. So, since that day, my serves centre has installed the new program version 4 times, has replaced some sensors. As a result, the car works in another way, but still not completely correct. Now I’m waiting for next new version of program.
You can check your car in this way: The air conditioner switch off.
So, you have to start cold engine (or start engine after car doesn’t work aprx.20min), than turn the steering wheel till the extreme position and hold it on. If in several seconds you hear cooling fan runs loudly enough, and keep running so loudly while you continue to keep a steering wheel in extreme position – it could be the same issue as mine.
Also you can look my video file. The name of file is «Ðàáîòà âåíòèëÿòîðà ïîñëå ïîâîðîòà ðóëÿ.wmv» (in Russian) so where is written «ñêà÷àòü»- it means –download.
http://files.mail.ru/C8NF0B
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

This does not sound like an issue since no one drives with the steering wheel cranked all the way left ro right.

If you suspect a problem with your car take it to the dealer. But please, insisting every X6 has the problem is baseless.
      06-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
Alex 888
Registered
Rep

I’ve taken my car to the dealer during 8 month. Also, all this time I’ve had a dialogue with the general office of BMW AG about this theme. Tomorrow I’m going to the dealer in order to install the new version of program 33.3.
Sorry that my bad English doesn’t give me possibility to describe a lot of details of this issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Maybe Alex 888 lives just around the corner

That's probably why he needs to keep the steering at maximum all the time
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Alex 888
Registered
Rep

Hi, all!
You are not right about the corner, actually, I often need to swerve from bears.
This is only the way to check if you have this issue or not. The main problem is the fan cools the cold engine when in it there is not any necessity, the thermostat is opened always, It takes more time for this purpose that the engine, can reach appropriate temperature to work correctly, and so on…(the video file below shows how the fan runs on the cold engine)
I hope that you are able not only to drive by the car but still you know how the combustion engines must work.
Also, I would like to add, that if it’s not to take in account this trouble, I like my X6, and it is the best car, nothing make me change it on another one.
http://files.mail.ru/UDUH4L
Appreciate 0