XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-09-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Just Curious what does Dynan mod ?

I'm posting this here as it's a friendly forum and most seem to know about BMW's in general . What does a Dynan modification entail , ie what do they change ? I can image they mess with the software to
make the turbos spin faster or something ? do they mod exhaust ? etc. Is gas mileage cut in half ? is end result equal or better than M version ?
what does this do to your warranty ? If it breaks down and has to go to
dealer, how does dealer know what the software settings are ?

I know the name Dynan as being premiere tuners but don't know what actually happens to a car they mod.

I'm just curious.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I'm posting this here as it's a friendly forum and most seem to know about BMW's in general . What does a Dynan modification entail , ie what do they change ? I can image they mess with the software to
make the turbos spin faster or something ? do they mod exhaust ? etc. Is gas mileage cut in half ? is end result equal or better than M version ?
what does this do to your warranty ? If it breaks down and has to go to
dealer, how does dealer know what the software settings are ?

I know the name Dynan as being premiere tuners but don't know what actually happens to a car they mod.

I'm just curious.
http://www.dinancars.com/
      10-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Ok checked that out , sort of gather they just do software mods.
I will ask the guys at my dealer about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Steve Dinan is probably the most highly respected BMW tuner in the nation. They will reflash your ECU and reprogram everything from boost pressure to air to fuel mixture ratios. I would definitely trust them more than most other tuners as they are the only ones that stand behind what they do with full 4yr 50k mile warranty matching your original warranty. You should call them and let them tune your car because you are located close to them and they will give you the tuning package and labor for free. Possibly even a free exhaust if they make one. I was going to let them use my X6 as their test vehicle but since I am in Dallas and it could take up to 5-6 weeks including two weeks there and two weeks back on enclosed truck I did not seem it would be practical to be without my new car for up to 6 weeks. They would only need your car for about a week since you are so close to them.

The software is probably in the neighborhood of $3K and will bump up your HP to 475ish range and torque closer to 550 range all while retaining full warranty!

I hope you decide to possibly consider this so that software will be available for the rest of us soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Ok checked that out , sort of gather they just do software mods.
I will ask the guys at my dealer about it.
Also, at my dealership and most dealerships, they only recommend Dinan for performance upgrades and you can order their products direct from the parts departments in authorized BMW dealerships that carry Dinan products.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 04:14 AM   #6
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Maybe i am missing something..guys,you have V8 with 400hp and you want more power and risk losing waranty? Not to mention,that you can destroy your engine!

Why?

I will NEVER do something like that...if you want more power you should wait and buy X6M,which is also pointless,like any other car with more than 400 hp!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

For non-turbo engines, Dinan offers a whole range of performance-enhancing accessories from modified exhausts to camshafts to remapped ECUs, plus handling stuff like springs and shocks, plus look-good stuff like shocktower braces. It is likely that for turbo engines they will do the same as everybody else and just up the boost. They don't do this by getting the turbos to spin faster, they do it by allowing boost to reach a higher pressure before opening the wastegates. The turbos already spin fast enough to generate a lot more pressure than is allowed. The way they increase boost is to intercept signals to and from the ECU (engine control unit) and modify them, thus fooling the ECU into allowing higher boost. Because BMW wants its engines to last 200,000 km and more, and because BMW has to warranty the engines no matter what conditions they are driven in, they build in a certain safety factor -- the engine can actually handle more power than it generates. The tuners -- Dinan and the rest -- take advantage of this safety zone and push a little closer to the edge. If BMW decides to make a hotter version of the engine, they not only increase the boost, they also beef up internal parts, improve cooling, strengthen the transmission (always a potential weak point in BMWs), and may make other changes.

There is no free lunch. No matter how much people on this or other boards may claim that a BMW can be made more powerful with no impact on reliability, the fact is that you are taking a chance when you play around with what BMW's engineers have designed. As shenard says, Dinan is well respected and has a long history of tuning BMWs. They also offer to take over the factory warranty if anything they do damages the engine... and they price their stuff accordingly. But if something does happen to your engine you still run the risk of having two companies pointing fingers at each other while you sit there without a car. I would only consider Dinan's warranty worthwhile if it clearly stated that they would automatically reimburse you for any engine damage and then they would fight BMW to see who ultimately paid. Dream on.

As I always say at the end of one of these rants: Don't let this stop you from having your engine tuned. Done well and within reason, tuning is usually OK. But don't fool yourself into thinking you can do it with no risk and with absolutely no adverse impacts at all. Ain't so.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
shenard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
For non-turbo engines, Dinan offers a whole range of performance-enhancing accessories from modified exhausts to camshafts to remapped ECUs, plus handling stuff like springs and shocks, plus look-good stuff like shocktower braces. It is likely that for turbo engines they will do the same as everybody else and just up the boost. They don't do this by getting the turbos to spin faster, they do it by allowing boost to reach a higher pressure before opening the wastegates. The turbos already spin fast enough to generate a lot more pressure than is allowed. The way they increase boost is to intercept signals to and from the ECU (engine control unit) and modify them, thus fooling the ECU into allowing higher boost. Because BMW wants its engines to last 200,000 km and more, and because BMW has to warranty the engines no matter what conditions they are driven in, they build in a certain safety factor -- the engine can actually handle more power than it generates. The tuners -- Dinan and the rest -- take advantage of this safety zone and push a little closer to the edge. If BMW decides to make a hotter version of the engine, they not only increase the boost, they also beef up internal parts, improve cooling, strengthen the transmission (always a potential weak point in BMWs), and may make other changes.

There is no free lunch. No matter how much people on this or other boards may claim that a BMW can be made more powerful with no impact on reliability, the fact is that you are taking a chance when you play around with what BMW's engineers have designed. As shenard says, Dinan is well respected and has a long history of tuning BMWs. They also offer to take over the factory warranty if anything they do damages the engine... and they price their stuff accordingly. But if something does happen to your engine you still run the risk of having two companies pointing fingers at each other while you sit there without a car. I would only consider Dinan's warranty worthwhile if it clearly stated that they would automatically reimburse you for any engine damage and then they would fight BMW to see who ultimately paid. Dream on.

As I always say at the end of one of these rants: Don't let this stop you from having your engine tuned. Done well and within reason, tuning is usually OK. But don't fool yourself into thinking you can do it with no risk and with absolutely no adverse impacts at all. Ain't so.
Well said!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post

Very well written and so true!!! Thanks! PalBay
      10-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I knew you folks would have the low down. The folks at the dealer pretty much said the same thing and also pointed out the possible "finger pointing issue". Since I take trips to middle of nowhere in Arizona and Nevada reliability is big concern, I will just leave the car as it is. If BMW comes out with an "M" version then I will look at that.
Thanks to all.
Appreciate 0