XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
ricosan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 50i

Torque vectoring

Hey Guys,

I've had my 50i for about 6 weeks now. I'm loving it and still getting to know it. I have a question about torque distribution between front and rear wheels.

All wheel drive is great for traction but I like to ocasionally slide the rear end out in turns. Can't do it with AWD.

So I'm looking at "vehicle information" in the onboard computer and I come across torque vectoring. It's there but I can't make it do anything. It doesn't give you any information other than a very engaging diagram. I checked the owners manual - nothing. Did a search and found nothing on TV.

Anyone know the purpose of this application? Is there any way to send all the torque to the rear wheels?

ricosan
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
x6Hawkeye
911 TTS Cab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio

I think it's just a "look cool" app to highlight how it vectors the torque. The technology to put more torque to outer tires in a turn is pretty unique, this give them a way to "show" it to the driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

+1. Just something to look at only.
      09-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
ricosan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks Guys,

So there is no way to change the torque distribution from front to back.

Dissapointing.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosan
Thanks Guys,

So there is no way to change the torque distribution from front to back.

Dissapointing.
My understanding, for what it's worth, is that this technology is meant to minimize understeer, but not to the point of creating a rear-wheel slide. I believe the traction control, which works in conjunction with torque vectoring, would probably be a bigger factor in what you're looking for. You might want to check that out instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
I thought torque vectoring was only feature of M rear differential
Are you guys talking about something else?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC
I thought torque vectoring was only feature of M rear differential
Are you guys talking about something else?
Unless I'm mixing up two different concepts, my understanding is that BMW's Dynamic Performance Control ("DPC") is BMW's term for torque vectoring, and that it was first introduced in the X6 model line, and not exclusively to the M's. The M might have a more performance-oriented tuning on it, but the general feature should be standard to all X6s.

DPC is one of the main reasons why I chose the X6, as I think only Acura has something similar ("SH-AWD") for its SUVs to allow big, tall, heavy trucks to drive like much smaller vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygel XXV View Post
Unless I'm mixing up two different concepts, my understanding is that BMW's Dynamic Performance Control ("DPC") is BMW's term for torque vectoring, and that it was first introduced in the X6 model line, and not exclusively to the M's. The M might have a more performance-oriented tuning on it, but the general feature should be standard to all X6s.

DPC is one of the main reasons why I chose the X6, as I think only Acura has something similar ("SH-AWD") for its SUVs to allow big, tall, heavy trucks to drive like much smaller vehicles.
I think you are mixing up 2 different things here
Acura's SH-AWD-like system is only available on X6M and X5M
It works just a bit better since it has more bias towards rear wheels plus it works on deceleration as well, not just while accelerating in turn like on Acuras
DPS is different concept
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygel XXV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC
I think you are mixing up 2 different things here
Acura's SH-AWD-like system is only available on X6M and X5M
It works just a bit better since it has more bias towards rear wheels plus it works on deceleration as well, not just while accelerating in turn like on Acuras
DPS is different concept
Here's a quote from on old Motor Trend article previewing the X6 back in 2008:

>>>>>
The X6 also serves as the debut vehicle for BMW's new torque-vectoring system called Dynamic Performance Control (DPC). I explained it in depth during my earlier drive of the prototype X6, but basically, DPC is akin to Honda's Super Handling-All Wheel Drive -- though there is a key difference. DPC uses a "mechantronic" system of two planetary gear sets, a multiplate clutch, and an electric helper motor to divide torque between the rear wheels. And, unlike Honda's system, BMW's works in both on- and- off throttle situations.

Read more: http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/112_0806_2008_bmw_x6_first_drive/viewall.html#
>>>>>

Lol almost exactly what I said before. I'm guessing that's where I must have read about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #10
ricosan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I have the 50i with the 8 speed transmission. I can feel the gears shift down as I slow down. This is especially true in sport mode.

ricosan
Appreciate 0