XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

BMW extended protection / BMW Maintenance Program Upgrade

Hi guys,

My 2009 x5 35d is fast approaching 40,000 miles which would put it out of the new vehicle protection warranty, even though I've had it less than 3 years.

I'm looking at two plans BMW offer to extend what the new vehicle currently offers ...

BMW extended protection (extending to a total of 5,6 or 7 yrs/100,000) - Powertrain plus, gold, platinum. Covering repairs (depending on level) performed at an authorized BMW repair facility. $50 deductible.

BMW Maintenance Program Upgrade - - additional 2 years/50,000 miles. Covering all factory-recommended maintenance and specific items requiring replacement due to normal wear and tear at no charge.

Looks like the maintenance costs $2495 for the x5 35d. Does that sound like good value?

For the extended protection, not sure how much that costs.

Anyone got any feedback, or experience with both or either of these programs?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
tjank123
Geh Hau Ab
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5-35d, '08 ZM Coupe

The last time looked at maintenance program it simply prepaid for routine maintenance with roughly once service included for free. So it is worth it if you plan to keep the vehicle for the duration of the term. Of course, you only reap the benefit if you keep the X5 for the duration of the maintenance program for the additional 2 years/50,000 miles. If you drive too little or sell before the additional 50k miles, you may not receive the benefit. Of course, this analysis assumes you using the higher costs the dealership charges. Independent BMW repair shops will be cheaper.
As for the extended warranty, BMW are very costly to maintain without a warranty--but the extended warranty does not cover everything as the original warranty. check BMW website for details.

Last edited by tjank123; 07-07-2011 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
for the maintenance plan I think it depends on:
a. how you drive
b. what your condition based service indicators suggest.
c. your willingness to explore non-dealer maintenance.

I didn't opt for the extended maintenance.

I take it easy on my brakes. As of today, I have 76k miles on my car and my CBS suggests I still have at least 26k miles of wear left. I probably won't need a brake job in the first 100k miles. When I checked out the plan for my 3er, brakes seemed to be the biggest ticket item that the plan would cover.

If you do your research now, while you still have time to make a decision, you may find some trustworthy independent shops who will do maintenance for significantly less than the dealer (thus significantly less than the maintenance plan).
Appreciate 0