XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
_Geri_
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 & a very old e53

PLEASE HELP ME - Used x5 purchase!!!!

Hi everybody! First off, I'm new here so glad to kinda meet you! =) Alright, so I really need some advice. I thought it would be best to get it from a large group of people who I yet know. I'm in the market for a used X5. I just found one yesterday and I'm doing this all by myself. It's just me, my 3 children, and my very large choc lab doing this buy and I really don't have anybody to help me. Out of all the cars I have purchased, only two were used and both had very very low miles. Now here's the kicker on this one im 50/50 about. It has 140,000mi with a REBUILT tranny. It's a 2001 X5 4.4 and I did test drive it, and it actually drove nice for an old car with a gajillion miles. Here's my thing. Don't older/higher mileage X5's tranny start to slip? If they've been serviced always on time, should I not worry about the engine? I really need help here before I go back today. Anybody??
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
m3the01
Private
Rep
Drives: '12 AW-CI 35d aka Snow White

U have to realize this is going to be an expensive vehicle to own, i would seriously really reconsider this purchase.

BMW is very expensive for out of warranty work,

Good luck but i would stay away,
      04-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

I 2nd that response. If you're single with 3 kids, an X5 with that many miles isn't very practical. Not only that, but I would be worried about reliability as well as the enormous amount of costs involved. There's better used SUV's that are more reliable to purchase.
      04-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
_Geri_
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys! However, lol, I already bought the car on Friday. So far the car's been driving good considering its age. I just HOPE AND PRAY it lasts long enough! I do still drive around my e90, so there's backup. Thanks again peeps!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
ChilliWilli
Chillin' like a villain
Rep
Drives: Like i stole it

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Geri_
...HOPE AND PRAY...
You'll need it...good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
_Geri_
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilliWilli View Post
You'll need it...good luck.
HAHAHA! I know right! So, I had to replace the front shocks, but hay, it's nothing like a motor....yet. lol Oh and hay, I see by the picture you have up, we have the same ride. If so, what problems (if any) have you experienced with this fine automobile? :P
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
ChilliWilli
Chillin' like a villain
Rep
Drives: Like i stole it

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Geri_
HAHAHA! I know right! So, I had to replace the front shocks, but hay, it's nothing like a motor....yet. lol Oh and hay, I see by the picture you have up, we have the same ride. If so, what problems (if any) have you experienced with this fine automobile? :P
The pic is a 4.6iS...sold it last year to an enthusiast. Have had experience with every E53 model. The problems experienced are far too many to list (both in & out of warranty). The inline 6 (3.0i) was def' the most dependable. The E53 V8's were far too problematic, in my experience...although i expected as much, being a first gen' model.

Again, good luck and hope you're somewhat mechanically inclined.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
ibnu_wbsde
M5 Post Beginner
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: '02 E39 M5, '12 F02 750Li

Garage List
2012 BMW 750Li  [0.00]
2002 BMW M5  [0.00]
congratulatios on your E53 ! I've always wanted to buy the 4.4 E53 but just never had the chance. What kind of options you got ? what color ? and its good to hear that the car's been doing good.. enjoy your X5!! i keep my fingers crossed for the wellbeing of your M62TU!!
Appreciate 0