XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

is iDrive connected to internet

I watched this youtube vid

around 1 min mark, new idrive seems to connect to web. can new idrive do that? cool
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
I watched this youtube vid

around 1 min mark, new idrive seems to connect to web. can new idrive do that? cool
well to answer my own question.
according to the BMW US FAQ website it does not connect to internet. there is BMW Online is currently available in Austria, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy and the United Arab Emirates. oh well.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
well to answer my own question.
according to the BMW US FAQ website it does not connect to internet. there is BMW Online is currently available in Austria, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy and the United Arab Emirates. oh well.
In the US, it "kind of" connects to the internet. The US version does not get the web browser which allows you to surf the internet but it does have limited connectivity to give stock index quotes, search for fuel prices, limited weather information and the ability to look up business addresses and phone numbers online. To do this you are required to subscribe to the BMW Assist Convenience Plan at $199 per year.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I think the US thing has to do with restrictions on watching video while car is moving but they could allow it when it was stopped if they wanted to.

To me BMW assist (old and new idrive versions) is more of a solution to a problem no one has. Current version gets me traffic info (something very useful in California commute traffic) but it's never up to date (my iphone with Traffic! app or trafficinfo app is a lot more accurate). If I need tickets to something will have scored them online my self. The one thing I think BMW assist would be worth paying for is the locate my car and send me help if i'm broke down but if I'm in the mountains that doesn't work.

So all the other eye candy is interesting but not compelling. BMW is cutting edge when it comes to putting electronics in their cars it's just behind the times in content.

Things that I would find useful (worth paying for):
app like the aroundme app on iphone (one of the most useful).
real time traffic info like the iphone Traffic or trafficinfo app.
ability to use web browser ( ok when car is not moving - USA).
ability to read my email (again when car parked - USA).

The iphone is basically a hand-held computer with phone capabilities, why can't
BMW do this in their cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
sean_b
Serial car switcher
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
I dont need more tech in the car to distract me. Staring at the iDrive sorting through 100 artists on my iPod is bad enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekomni View Post
I dont need more tech in the car to distract me. Staring at the iDrive sorting through 100 artists on my iPod is bad enough.
ok so it's offered as an option and those that want it order it and those that don't like it don't. better to have lots of option so people can pick and choose what suits them rather than a borg mind set of one size fits all.
Appreciate 0