XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
timmya
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport

Dilemma between X6's and need your opinion...

Hey guys after reading and test driving X6's, i have come to the conclusion that this will be my next car. it was between this and a range rover sport, but i think in the long run sportier handling will override toughness and offroad capability for me.

the big question is, over the past months i have read and read you guys loving adaptive drive suspension and the sport package. however, i will not be able to afford 2010 with adaptive drive and the other options that are a must have for me. premium, cold, and technology. i will be getting the 35i.

i could get a 2009 with everything i want plus adaptive drive, but i will be losing the new idrive.

my question is, what would you guys consider more important, the new idrive and getting a 2010, or skipping that and getting a 2009 with adaptive drive.

this will be my first suv purchase, i have had 2 s4's in the past and i am currently driving a beater envoy till i find the car and im ready to buy. handling is importat but so is technology.

im just curious to hear what you guys think..

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
imposss
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 Comprtetion

no questions get 2010 you won't regret, jandling is still good withou adaptive drive and new idrive is much much better
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

What u want vs. what u need.

If u value handling the most get adaptive drive,
if u carry passengers in the back get adaptive,
U can give up rear climate/heated seats as the engine warms up very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
tjl18
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 35i

I received my X6 35i about one month ago. I was able to test drive a X6 with the Sport Package, which has the Adaptive Drive, but I did not realize it until I ordered mine with the sport activity package, which does not have the Adaptive Drive and the handling is just not the same. I wish I would have ordered it with the Adaptive Drive it makes such a difference. It feels like you are driving in a Corvette in terms of handling. That may be an slight over exaggeration, but you get the idea. Now on the other side I heard nothing but negative things about the pre 2010 X drive systems. I have nothing but praise for the 2010 X drive system. They are both critical, but it will be based on which one you value the most. I read in a previous post that without the Adaptive Drive you are basically driving a X6 with a X5 suspension. I never drove a X5 so I can not comment on that. I even got the 20" tires and it does not make up for the lack of the Adaptive Drive in terms of handling. I hope this helps! I would go for the 2010 X6. See this post: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316326

Last edited by tjl18; 02-27-2010 at 10:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
sean_b
Serial car switcher
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
You need the Adaptive Drive. I originally said to skip the Adaptive Drive and go for the iDrive. Nothing could be more important in my x6 than the Adaptive Drive. To me, it gives the car it's soul. When I am merging onto the highway around a corner at 60 miles an hour, you can really feel the vehicle pushing you through the turn.

With that said, I really enjoy the new iDrive (having used both) but if you absolutely have to choose, go for the Adaptive Drive.

Last edited by sean_b; 02-28-2010 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Got Learned
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #6
sean_b
Serial car switcher
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
My Car Config

Your X6 xDrive35i Selected Options
Swatches & Colors
See all standard features
Comfort Access keyless entry
Running boards
Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
Premium Package
Auto-dimming rearview mirror
Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors
Digital compass mirror
Storage package
Universal garage-door opener
Ambiance lighting
BMW Assist with Bluetooth
Lumbar support
Premium Sound Package
iPod and USB adapter
Premium hi-fi system
6-Disc DVD Changer
Rear Climate Package
Privacy glass
Rear manual side window shades
4-zone automatic climate control
Sport Package
Adaptive Drive
20" Light-alloy wheels Y-Spoke (style 214) with mixed run-flat performance tires
Shadowline exterior trim
Anthracite headliner
Sport seats
Technology Package
Voice-command
Navigation system
Online Information Services
Real Time Traffic Information
Rear View Camera with Top View
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
BigBobDeuce
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6M

Garage List
2012 BMW X6M  [0.00]
I have a 2009 50i with the old iDrive and also Adaptive Drive. On balance, I'm much happier with the Adaptive Drive and don't mind the old iDrive. To me, the biggest difference between the two iDrives is speed--the new one boots faster, and finds navigation routes quicker. It also has built-in music storage, but that's not really necessary to me with my iPod, and a few other things (like the ability to add navigation points of interest) that aren't interesting for me. I compensate for the iDrive boot speed by simply unlocking the car remotely before I get to it, which triggers the boot up process, and by the the time I get in and turn the car on, it's usually fully booted and ready to go (this impacts the speed with which the rear camera turns on, which is the chief complaint of the slower iDrive). As for finding nav routes quicker, well, I'm patient, and I figure the X6 will make up for the delay in driving time. Adaptive Drive, on the other hand, makes the car really fun to drive--hard corners, cloverleafs on the interstate, mountain roads are all awesome to take in a 5000+ pound car. If there's a 2009 that has your other options, is affordable for you, and has Adaptive Drive, I'd have no qualms taking it with the old iDrive. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmya View Post
Hey guys after reading and test driving X6's, i have come to the conclusion that this will be my next car. it was between this and a range rover sport, but i think in the long run sportier handling will override toughness and offroad capability for me.

im just curious to hear what you guys think..

thanks
Range Rover's Sport, Range Rover or Discovery are one of the less reliable car brands in the premium market, they have a long and never ending history of electrical defects and engine troubles, this brand has change ownership like 3 times in the past 15 years....now it is own by the indian Tata I believe, many people make the BIG mistake of buying for looks, I have driven all and I can tell you that suspension of the Range Rover ( the big and most expensive one) is one of a kind, you can leave a glass of wine in your dash while driving on a bad road without dropping it, impressive, but thats not all that matters here, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Land Rover is just a brand that will not give you trouble free enjoyment, if you really want off road capabilities, by a Toyota Land Cruiser or Lexus GX....
Check out what this European magazine has to say about the 10 biggest "lemons" and this is a common comment about Range Rover's over the past years ( once again 2 Land Rovers at the top of the list , or bottom >>?? .......)
Good luck with your choice

http://issue.imotormag.co.uk/car-rev...12.cde/page/27
Appreciate 0