XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-28-2022, 01:43 PM   #1
mrkhm
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5 e70

Lightbulb Resolved - Malfunctioning iDrive Scroller

Hello all,

I write this in good spirit particularly for those based in UK.

The problem I had for my e70 2007 was that after replacing the iDrive head unit (ccc) due to sound output issues, the iDrive scroller stopped performing as expected.

Symptom: To toggle to the next option, which historically only required one clockwise (or counter-clockwise) 'rotation click', was not possible. Actual button depression (to select an option) and cardinal directional movements (i.e. up down left right) was all working ok, only scroll rotation was failing.

I should add that I also have the SnapDragon Android screen upgrade for youtube and android apps galore etc. This was still working fine with the scroller, no issues, only iDrive had issues.

By stroke of luck i discovered that if i keep rotating the iDrive knob at fast speed, almost like a wind up toy, it jumps to the next option, forward but not backwards.

I did a lot of offline efforts with my local indie, most suggestions were hardware replacements. I also did a lot of online research with lots of votes for resetting the 'CAPPL' module. No joy.

However, one forum such as this, mentioned a highly decorated coding garage in Grampound, which is close to where I am in Cornwall. The garage is called JMW Autotechnic (PL26 8LX). So this is me returning the favour to anyone scratching their scalps and about to spend a fortune on new hardware. I'm grateful they managed to sort it, the key terms used in resolution, was "MOST bus levels being all over the place...". I was told it would be whole day so settled myself at a nearby Costa, but then got the call after 2 hours, happy days! So I am well pleased. It cost £120ish, but after trying my lappie with obd, and then Carlie on phone via bluetooth to obd, as well as local indie with autologic and countless hours online, it was worth it.

And it's always nice to recommend fellow bimmers to friendly and reliable problem solvers...so here it is.

Best wishes,

K
Appreciate 0