XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

Hotrod X6 Testing in the Desert

A little different pic's of hopped up X6 testing in Death Valley.Thanks! PalBay
Attached Images

07-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I have seen this car in lots of articles with it being called everything from an "MX6" ( because of the cowling on the front and the different mufflers) to a hybrid ( because there's a plug port on the rear bumper).
oh and it has a yellow strip on the mirror.

Guess my criteria is just a little different than other folks, like pop the hood and show me the motor ( ya know , jerry mcguire style).

remember ford use to put after market flaring on pinto's and paint a blue cobra on it and say it was a performance car.

I'm old school , show me the engine or the that you can smoke the tires.
      07-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I have seen this car in lots of articles with it being called everything from an "MX6" ( because of the cowling on the front and the different mufflers) to a hybrid ( because there's a plug port on the rear bumper).
oh and it has a yellow strip on the mirror.

Guess my criteria is just a little different than other folks, like pop the hood and show me the motor ( ya know , jerry mcguire style).

remember ford use to put after market flaring on pinto's and paint a blue cobra on it and say it was a performance car.

I'm old school , show me the engine or the that you can smoke the tires.
Yep..... the proof is in the pudding.All I know is that my contacts at the plant have said for two or more years there would be "M" models for the X5 and X6.They never vary when they refer to the cars as "Motorsports" versions...which is the proper BMW name for the "M" brand.Whatever engine goes in the X5 "M".....the X6"M" has gotta jump it by 50-100hp to remain "the" performance leader of the "X" brand.It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds!!!! Thanks! PalBay
      07-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I'm not doubting you or your contacts , its just every article I've seen with the pictures of this car folks say it "obviously an M version" , I'm just not seeing how they get that out of these pictures.

Oh I just learn from the dealer today that my 5.0 is starting production ( even shows up in my owners circle) , can your friends at the plant bump it up the line for me.... just kidding.

would be interested if you get more info on M version of X6.
cheers
      07-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

wonder what they would do if you peel off all the tape? lol
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not doubting you or your contacts , its just every article I've seen with the pictures of this car folks say it "obviously an M version" , I'm just not seeing how they get that out of these pictures.

Oh I just learn from the dealer today that my 5.0 is starting production ( even shows up in my owners circle) , can your friends at the plant bump it up the line for me.... just kidding.

would be interested if you get more info on M version of X6.
cheers
Congrats on your order starting production! I know you will love your new 50i! Had one of my contacts cornered in the neighborhood.....but he had to go in and take a phone call.I'm going to ask about "M"s and other new things when I catch him again.Thanks! PalBay
      07-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
wonder what they would do if you peel off all the tape? lol
+1 im thinking the repercussions would be close to the top gear episode when they went to the gas station with the paint on their cars
      07-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
Fitzla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

What ever happened to BMW saying that they would never put an M badge on an X vehicle. That is what leads me to believe that this is NOT an M.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 10:33 PM   #9
PLAYON
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 550i

Garage List
2008 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2003 Audi A4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzla View Post
What ever happened to BMW saying that they would never put an M badge on an X vehicle. That is what leads me to believe that this is NOT an M.
No it's not an M. . .I'm sure some people from the M side of things had some input but there's no way this is badged with an ///M. That would be too AMG. . .
      07-18-2008, 02:44 AM   #10
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

maybe it's a big diesel!!! ha ha ha
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 05:51 AM   #11
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzla View Post
Yup, I remember that too. I still believe they will never put a M-badge on a suv or what you want to call the X6. The damn thing weighs 5200+ lbs.

If they put a M badge on a X5 or X6. Thats it I am done 100%. They will have gone way overboard with "selling out". It is already getting out of hand.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #12
slipknot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: omega 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Yup, I remember that too. I still believe they will never put a M-badge on a suv or what you want to call the X6. The damn thing weighs 5200+ lbs.

If they put a M badge on a X5 or X6. Thats it I am done 100%. They will have gone way overboard with "selling out". It is already getting out of hand.
wow.....selling out , then u should leave right away , one fella said that if X6 M then its too AMG....well umm thats just the point , they should DO what Merc does , because like it or not Mercedes is always one step ahead...you can chose whatever u want there , I wanna regular R..or AMG R...same for every other model and thats just fine with me , thats the way it should be
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #13
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:

BMW sold out the M badge a long time ago. It started with the M5/6, cars that never would see a track.

Even the M3 has lost its way. It is now a consumer flashy road car. Totally lost its light weight to horsepower, wagon, sedans, convertibles and gadget wars.

M means marketing now.

I think 90% of the people driving M's are regular consumers who really don't know much about their purchase, just that it is fast and expensive.

I think the M coupe and the 135 are the closest thing to what M used to be.
      07-18-2008, 10:56 AM   #14
Palbay
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
wow.....selling out , then u should leave right away , one fella said that if X6 M then its too AMG....well umm thats just the point , they should DO what Merc does , because like it or not Mercedes is always one step ahead...you can chose whatever u want there , I wanna regular R..or AMG R...same for every other model and thats just fine with me , thats the way it should be
Very,very well said! Thanks. PalBay
      07-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Exclamation

Quote:
Well in the UK mercs have a bad reputation for brake downs, electrical problems also, I test drove the AMG 55 CLS and within 35 miles the glove box fell out!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 72K for a dust bin, took it straight back and the stealership rep said, "thats OK we can stick that back", I said you can stick the Car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #16
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Well in the UK mercs have a bad reputation for brake downs, electrical problems also, I test drove the AMG 55 CLS and within 35 miles the glove box fell out!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 72K for a dust bin, took it straight back and the stealership rep said, "thats OK we can stick that back", I said you can stick the Car.
'stealership' haha that's funny
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #17
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Quote:
I have seen this car in lots of articles with it being called everything from an "MX6"
My inside source at BMW says that the M-versions of the X5 and X6 will be called the:
MX5 Miata and MX6 (Mystere in Canada)

They will be joint ventures with Mazda similiar to what VW and Porsche did with the Toureg.

The MX5 will experience some weight savings and a convertible top.

The MX6 will have a version made by Ford as well, called the Ford Probe.

- KJ
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 05:51 AM   #18
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Tell me why BMW didn't make a X5 M already. Merc had a ML AMG with the last generation ML. BMW didn't give a crap. Because they refuse to dilute the "M" brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
BMW sold out the M badge a long time ago. It started with the M5/6, cars that never would see a track.

Even the M3 has lost its way. It is now a consumer flashy road car. Totally lost its light weight to horsepower, wagon, sedans, convertibles and gadget wars.

M means marketing now.

I think 90% of the people driving M's are regular consumers who really don't know much about their purchase, just that it is fast and expensive.

I think the M coupe and the 135 are the closest thing to what M used to be.
Hence the bolded part in my original statement:

"If they put a M badge on a X5 or X6. Thats it I am done 100%. They will have gone way overboard with "selling out". It is already getting out of hand.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palbay View Post
Very,very well said! Thanks. PalBay
Not really. He justed stated BMW should follow what ever Merc does.

That would not be the best decision.

There is a reason "M" cars are held in such high regard in the automotive industry.

Yes there will be a performance version of the X5 and X6. No they will not have a "M" badge on them.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 08:31 AM   #19
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #20
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
There is a reason "M" cars are held in such high regard in the automotive industry.

Yes there will be a performance version of the X5 and X6. No they will not have a "M" badge on them.
Obviously not that many people, other than enthusiasts, care too much about how highly regarded they are in the industry because they are not selling well. The dealer by my house has 11 or them including convertibles on the lot and the other Dallas dealership has at least 7 or 8 and the Arlington one where I drove the X6 50i had 9 and told me they are not selling nearly as well as originally anticipated and they would work a great deal on one if I was interested.

I don't have any inside contacts but if I had to guess I would guess that BMW will put the M badge on the X6. I don't think anyone is going to argue that they are making some kind of "higher" performance version of the 50i and they need to because the next Porsche Cayenne will be a Turbo S with 550hp. I can't imagine what else they would call the X6 without slapping on an M badge because if they even boost the HP on the 50i to 550-650hp then I am sure they will change the suspension, brakes, etc. and at that point they might as well make it an "M" model for marketing reasons.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #21
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:

Well maybe they could call those cars the N Series as in NOT quite an M
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #22
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:

And you will do what? Stop buying BMW's over something as dumb as that? That makes sense
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0