XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Hoo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue e92 zcp 6mt

Tires for X35d

I have 2011 X5 35d. Need new tires--I bought spare in case I'd like to get away from run flats--ride is quite harsh. Origninal Michelins were poor in snow. Any recommendations, considering Non run-flat tires such as Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S as well as Bridgestone Dueler HL422 Ecopia, Dunlop Signature CS, Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenzas based on checking in at Tire Rack--Their first recommendation was the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes. By the way the size is 255/55R/18. Are those that replaced their Run flats with non run flats happy?

Last edited by Hoo; 11-30-2012 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

I've used the Continental ExtremeContact DWS on my 330Ci and am very pleased with their performance. I intend to put them on my '12 X5d.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
JJunkins
M3GAHTZ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 S4

I've read a lot of good things about the Conti's and plan to use them on my X5d as well. Great price, good tread rating, and probably close to the same performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo View Post
I have 2011 X5 35d. Need new tires--I bought spare in case I'd like to get away from run flats--ride is quite harsh. Origninal Michelins were poor in snow. Any recommendations, considering Non run-flat tires such as Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S as well as Bridgestone Dueler HL422 Ecopia, Dunlop Signature CS, Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenzas based on checking in at Tire Rack--Their first recommendation was the Pirelli Scorpion Verdes. By the way the size is 255/55R/18. Are those that replaced their Run flats with non run flats happy?
The Pirelli Scorpion Verde is THE tire for your car. I have the Verdes on my 2012 X5 35d with AD and they are heaven - smooth riding, quiet, great traction on all surfaces and good turn-in feel. I have the Dueler on my Toyota 4x4 pick up and they are good too but not even close to the overall performance of the PSV. BTW, I have 15K miles on the PSVs and they look like new - no discernable wear yet
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

Same question, same answer as this and about 200 other threads...
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...8#post13088028

The Conti DWS's are pretty much the dominant choice for All Season tires on SAVs these days and here is why..

http://www.consumersearch.com/tires/...emecontact-dws
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=124

The ONLY apparent downside to these is that they are in such high demand that many are not able to find them in stock in their sizes.

Last edited by ndabunka; 12-03-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
The Pirelli Scorpion Verde is THE tire for your car. I have the Verdes on my 2012 X5 35d with AD and they are heaven - smooth riding, quiet, great traction on all surfaces and good turn-in feel. I have the Dueler on my Toyota 4x4 pick up and they are good too but not even close to the overall performance of the PSV. BTW, I have 15K miles on the PSVs and they look like new - no discernable wear yet
The Tire Rack survey rates these pretty high. I'm definitely going to check these out. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
sunnygps
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5d

I used Yokohama AVID ENVigor non-RFTs on my 2010. I plan to use the same on my new 2012 X5d as soon as I get some mileage on the RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
howiedds
D.D.S.
Rep
Drives: 12 AW E70 X5d

get the conti DWS or toyo proxes STII...both have good reviews
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

After much consideration and research, I purchased Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow this winter. This is a non RFT tire. I live at 6 700 feet and while our snow has been limited this year, we had 2 feet during a storm a few weeks ago. I drove my X5 everywhere, up to about 8 800 feet on snow packed roads, at speeds up to 65 miles per hour. The vehicle performed beautifully, with a great deal of traction (though you are never going to beat the laws of physics, and I am an experienced driver in bad weather and snow). I have used Blizzak's for years, but decided to go with a tire that would last longer (based on the reviews). I rate this tire 9/10, while Blizzak's are at 7.7/10 (for me). Hope this helps with your decision.

PS: I carry one of these in my trunk in case of emergency (Conti Tire Comfort Kit):

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
ndabunka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d Sport Black/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
After much consideration and research, I purchased Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow this winter. This is a non RFT tire. I live at 6 700 feet and while our snow has been limited this year, we had 2 feet during a storm a few weeks ago. I drove my X5 everywhere, up to about 8 800 feet on snow packed roads, at speeds up to 65 miles per hour. The vehicle performed beautifully, with a great deal of traction (though you are never going to beat the laws of physics, and I am an experienced driver in bad weather and snow). I have used Blizzak's for years, but decided to go with a tire that would last longer (based on the reviews). I rate this tire 9/10, while Blizzak's are at 7.7/10 (for me). Hope this helps with your decision.

PS: I carry one of these in my trunk in case of emergency (Conti Tire Comfort Kit):

Interesting to hear that you rate the WINTER Pirelli over the Blizzacks but since the list of potential tires were ONLY ALL-SEASON tires, it leaves an impression that he is not seeking WINTER TIREs but rather implies that he wanted feedback on an All Season tire, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post

I for one, appreciate your comments on the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow . I just put together a winter set for my X5 and I also chose the PS I&S after reading reviews and other reports by users - your comments confirm the impressions I had of the possible performance I can expect from these. I'll be doing some 4K miles in winter conditions next month and I'm looking forward to testing these tires. What air pressure are you using?

Last edited by 1HOT BMR; 12-06-2012 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

I have the conti DWS on my 35d I am very impressed with them in the snow we have got a lot of snow here already they preform much better than I ever expected all seasons to do in the snow even deeper snow they did ok which I thought without deep tread blocks they would be poor.
      12-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
smalva
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 35D

I just purchased an 09 x35d and agree the runflats are rough and I am planning to go the same route. Could you let me know where you got your spare and aprox. how much it runs. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #14
zuma man
Zuma Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5 diesel no line

Replaced the worn Michelin Lattitude RFTS with Yokahama YK580 all season non RFT tires. Size 255x55x18. Ride is much improved. Already experiencing a 2 mpg gain in mileage. Tires are extra load and V-rated and come with a 60,000 mile treadware warranty. Very impressed so far. Available exclusively at America's Tire Stores.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
ElJugador
Rep
Drives: FJ

This might be a bonehead question, but I'm confused about some of the tire information. I've got the 2012 x5 diesel with the sport suspension and the 20" drug dealer wheels. I haven't even hit 10k miles yet and my rear tires are done. I had to buy the car in a bit of a hurry for tax purposes and didn't really investigate how long a set of tires last. I never dreamed they would cost so much and/or thought they would wear out quickly.

I see all these tire discussions and wonder if the fact that there is a difference for me based on the wheel size and suspension vs. an x5 with the more standard setup.

Frankly, I'd be willing to sacrifice performance for cost or longevity. Also, I'm not sure if most tire shops are equipped to change these tires based on what I've been told. Any advice would be appreciated 'cause I'm not willing to keep a car that requires $2k worth of tires every few months.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJugador View Post
This might be a bonehead question, but I'm confused about some of the tire information. I've got the 2012 x5 diesel with the sport suspension and the 20" drug dealer wheels. I haven't even hit 10k miles yet and my rear tires are done. I had to buy the car in a bit of a hurry for tax purposes and didn't really investigate how long a set of tires last. I never dreamed they would cost so much and/or thought they would wear out quickly.

I see all these tire discussions and wonder if the fact that there is a difference for me based on the wheel size and suspension vs. an x5 with the more standard setup.

Frankly, I'd be willing to sacrifice performance for cost or longevity. Also, I'm not sure if most tire shops are equipped to change these tires based on what I've been told. Any advice would be appreciated 'cause I'm not willing to keep a car that requires $2k worth of tires every few months.
There is a simple solution: get rid of the 20" wheels and all your problems will disappear I have 19" with Pirelli Scorpion Verde non-runflat tires on my '12 X5 35d and they look 1/3 to 1/2 worn with 21K miles on the car. I also recently drove about 3K miles on 18" Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tires and they proved to be phenomenal in snow and ice - they also have a very soft and quiet ride. My car has Adaptive Drive.

There are plenty of people on this forum who think that the 20"s look better and provide better performance. IMO having huge anchors at each corner does not improve performance and as far as looks I'm with you in the j/k description "drug dealer wheels". As you now know, they wear out quickly and they give you a punishing ride - sell them - you'll find plenty of buyers right here.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
doni01
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
I very much agree with the above statement. I have the Contis DWS on my S500 and was going to put those as well on the X5 but after talking to the guys at TireRack, they highly recommended the Pirelli Scorpion Verde over the DWS. Have about 5k miles on them and very happy so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
ElJugador
Rep
Drives: FJ

Quote:
There is a simple solution: get rid of the 20" wheels and all your problems will disappear I have 19" with Pirelli Scorpion Verde non-runflat tires on my '12 X5 35d and they look 1/3 to 1/2 worn with 21K miles on the car. I also recently drove about 3K miles on 18" Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tires and they proved to be phenomenal in snow and ice - they also have a very soft and quiet ride. My car has Adaptive Drive.

There are plenty of people on this forum who think that the 20"s look better and provide better performance. IMO having huge anchors at each corner does not improve performance and as far as looks I'm with you in the j/k description "drug dealer wheels". As you now know, they wear out quickly and they give you a punishing ride - sell them - you'll find plenty of buyers right here.
Thanks. Is there an issue with the sport suspension vs the standard in making this move?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJugador View Post
Thanks. Is there an issue with the sport suspension vs the standard in making this move?
It will be a BIG improvement no matter what suspension you have. It will have a more controlled and softer ride and it will not CRASH and feel like the whole suspension is coming apart when you hit a pothole - like those 20" run flat tires you have now.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJugador

It's not the 20" tires that's causing the short life. It's the fact that they're soft summer tires. I have the sport package as well. Took off the summers and put the same size all seasons on. After 10K miles. The rears still look new and the front outer edges are showing a little wear.