XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-23-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
Creamo3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White X5M

Catless Downpipes & Emissions Testing?

Background: I currently have catless downpipes and Eurocharged tune and it's time for me to get my yearly emissions test. In Illinois all this consists of is an OBD-2 scan for readiness across all emissions sensors. I was under the impression that the Eurocharged tune "tricked" the O2 sensors to be in a ready state to pass these inspections, but after going for an emissions test realized that these sensors are simply disabled to avoid a CEL popping up (confirmed by Eurocharged). Obviously, this won't allow me to pass emissions and I'm at a point where I'm playing with mechanical fixes or reverting back to stock downpipes.

Question: For those of you running catless downpipes and have to do emissions testing via OBD-2 scanning, what did you do to pass?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #2
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Interested in hearing about this as well.

Last edited by dpie; 01-02-2016 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

"R" back to stock.

gl
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
jrmccain
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

The 02 sensors are for engine management, both emissions and performance. The wand the tester sticks in your tailpipe reads actual gas emissions output, you can't trick that. Without cats you'll never pass. Sorry to say, but you'll have to go back to stock every time you test.

edit- just read you we doing OBD, maybe you could get some Volkswagen emission management software :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #5
Creamo3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain View Post
The 02 sensors are for engine management, both emissions and performance. The wand the tester sticks in your tailpipe reads actual gas emissions output, you can't trick that. Without cats you'll never pass. Sorry to say, but you'll have to go back to stock every time you test.

edit- just read you we doing OBD, maybe you could get some Volkswagen emission management software :-)
I was hoping that my tooner would be able to handle this, as it was pretty common on other platforms I used to tune. The mechanical fix to pull the sensor further back out of the exhaust stream is probably the easiest option, unless I want to wire in a resistor that simulates the sensor voltage. I'll know in the next few weeks if it fixes the issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamo3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmccain View Post

I was hoping that my tooner would be able to handle this, as it was pretty common on other platforms I used to tune. The mechanical fix to pull the sensor further back out of the exhaust stream is probably the easiest option, unless I want to wire in a resistor that simulates the sensor voltage. I'll know in the next few weeks if it fixes the issue.
Keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 09:29 PM   #7
JeST
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Im curious on this issue also. I know emissions allow for one not ready code and still pass but with a tune this causes two (the first code being read as not ready, im not 100% sure but i believe has to do with something in our hvac system thats inherent on bmw's).

I frequent a shop by my house and did the emissions (post high flow cats and tune) and he said I wouldn't have any issues passing. Maybe because the highflow cats still did enough to pass emissions?

Best of luck. Keep us in the loop.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
Creamo3
Private First Class
Rep

Alright everybody I have some good news to report. I have managed to get all my sensors to show "Available/Ready" on my catless downpipe setup. I'm currently running the stock tune on the truck so I know it's working and confirmed on my OBD-2 scanner app. The best part is that it's a cheap fix. For those of you running a tune, you'll probably want to go back to stock for emissions testing or tell your tuner that you want all O2 sensors enabled for your tune.

The fix: Pretty standard mechanical fix using spark plug non-fouler and spacers that has been used on many platforms. I modified it slightly from the thread below, but the results should be the same. I would test using the 2 non-foulers on each side below before buying the kit on Amazon that I already purchased a while ago.

Here's the thread that outlines what I did: http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-p...ight-pics.html

The only difference between the setup in the link above and what I did is instead of using 2 sparkplug non-foulers on each side, I used 1 non-fouler that was drilled out to 1/2" and used another spacer that I had purchased a while ago to attach the sensor to (see link below)

Here's a link to the spacer kit I bought, the only piece I used in conjunction to the sparkplug non-fouler was the 1" threaded portion (top left in pic): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

I hope this helps any of you in the same boat as myself, I put some pics below for reference

Non-fouler & spacer separated:

Non-fouler & spacer together:

Installed on downpipes:
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
JeST
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well done brotha! Going to have to modify my tune and do the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #10
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

did you pass?
      12-02-2015, 03:10 PM   #11
Creamo3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
did you pass?
Yessir

I'm good until October 2017
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #12
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamo3 View Post
Yessir

I'm good until October 2017
No visual inspection?... granted unless you know the car good luck finding them with out removing alot of pieces
      12-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #13
Creamo3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousdiz View Post
No visual inspection?... granted unless you know the car good luck finding them with out removing alot of pieces
No visual inspection in Illinois, I used to have a heavily modified 9 sec. Evo VIII with all emissions equipment removed that used to pass with flying colors

On the X5 it would be tough to verify that you removed your stock CATS unless they remove the engine cover and heat shield. These guys do nothing more than plug-in to your OBD-2 port, run the test, and tell you if you pass/fail with a print out.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 07:15 AM   #14
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No visual inspection in Illinois, I used to have a heavily modified 9 sec. Evo VIII with all emissions equipment removed that used to pass with flying colors

On the X5 it would be tough to verify that you removed your stock CATS unless they remove the engine cover and heat shield. These guys do nothing more than plug-in to your OBD-2 port, run the test, and tell you if you pass/fail with a print out.
there was soo much fraud in CT over emissions that now every car has to be on camera when the test is being performed
      12-03-2015, 08:48 AM   #15
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

In MD, they put a sensor in the exhaust pipe to verify the levels. No downpipe for me :-(
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #16
JeST
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm going to be doing the same thing here soon. Anyone know if the angle ones work just as well?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #17
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Going to have to do this to pass NYS emissions even though Active Autowerks assured me that upgrading to stage 2+ would pass 7 out 8 readiness codes...SURVEY SAYS XXX
      07-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #18
Creamo3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
Going to have to do this to pass NYS emissions even though Active Autowerks assured me that upgrading to stage 2+ would pass 7 out 8 readiness codes...SURVEY SAYS XXX
The marketing is deceptive from most of these tuners that they eliminate the CEL associated with catless downpipes, when all they do it turn off the O2 routine for the rear cats. That's fine and dandy until you have to go for emissions and they scan your OBD-II port. For the money spent on these tunes they should be able to do a force readiness check that tricks the ECU into thinking all is well. That's how we did it on other platforms on a FREE OpenSource tuning solution.
      07-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #19
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The marketing is deceptive from most of these tuners that they eliminate the CEL associated with catless downpipes, when all they do it turn off the O2 routine for the rear cats. That's fine and dandy until you have to go for emissions and they scan your OBD-II port. For the money spent on these tunes they should be able to do a force readiness check that tricks the ECU into thinking all is well. That's how we did it on other platforms on a FREE OpenSource tuning solution.
I recently sold my OE dp's after making a phone call to AA customer support whom assured me 100% that I would pass NYS emissions with no issues...I should of held on to them as I had a gut feeling they were full of shit and just worried about making the sale($1200 for 2 pieces of 3'' pipe)

For the amount of money we spend on these tunes and "magical" pipes, every distributor should be liable to pick up the fees($35) for all of us that fail emissions as we still end up paying pass or fail!
      07-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #20
01blacks4
Rep
Drives: nope

they are still sitting on my porch...need them back for a few days?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #21
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01blacks4 View Post
they are still sitting on my porch...need them back for a few days?
I should be good brother, thanks I appreciate it I'm pretty sure my buddy figured out a way for me to pass emissions...the fouler and spacer wouldn't work on my truck for some reason
      07-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #22
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
Thought you were Velos? I passed no problem.
Appreciate 0