XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #23
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Guys unfortunately it comes down to supply and demand. There are more 35/50i models out there than M models. Tuners won't spend the money on R and D if the demand isn't there. Look at the stupid hamann or AC package that someone posted a while ago. I forget the numbers but it was something like 30-50k for a few parts! That's insane and unfortunately probably the only way that company will recoupe their developments costs.

Most of the M owners aren't on these forums and don't modify the car. In many cases bought it because its the top of line.

For example, I was next to a guy at a gas station last year with the new S65 AMG. I asked the guy how he liked the design, engine, tranny, etc. opposed to the previous. The gentleman was probably in his 50-60s.

He told me he had not interest in the performance and bought it for the safety?

I said to him you do realize all the safety features are in a 550, the bluetec, etc and he did not need to spend an extra 50-100k or whatever it is for the V12.

He responds, oh well it's the most expensive as well.

My point is, unfortunately we are limited. To the poster that asked he needs to upgrade because a tune. NO.
Appreciate 1
TTV8M113.50
      01-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #24
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabizzy View Post
Getting a tune from Velos doesn't mean I NEED to upgrade the intercooler do I?
forgive the stupid question
No, the tune itself is all you need.
      01-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #25
enzoleo
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
I have an aquamist kit that is a full standalone kit you would just tune the vehicle for it and the aquamist kit can be set off RPM or pressure ect. It also has a gauge as well as the control box and it is a bit of splicing/cutting and i guess you could use the windshield washer fluid as a tank, I have a Jaz fuel cell for a tank that i usually would install in the trunk area. I like the safety and features of an aquamist kit but i guess a cheaper kit with less features and options like Devils own or cooling mist could be used for a less intrusive install...
so who tuned your car after the meth install? I already have a stage 2 tune, do i need to ask my tuner to do another one after installing meth?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #26
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzoleo View Post
so who tuned your car after the meth install? I already have a stage 2 tune, do i need to ask my tuner to do another one after installing meth?
Different car, it was a G35 that had a standalone ECU so it's not really the same. It depends on what you are using water/meth for. It gives an octane boost and additional cooling so it can be used as a safety factor. Or it can be used to increase power, i haven't looked into tuning 335s at all so I don't know much about them but to make the most of the water/meth I would have it tuned after the meth install. The issue is if you tune to the ragged edge with water/meth if it ever gets plugged or has issues you can blow a motor.
      08-22-2015, 06:39 PM   #27
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBert View Post
Why not look at meth injection to keep the air cooler, would be less expensive than intercoolers
I've avoided meth because I don't wanna have to maintain filling yet another container on a regular basis when I was doing power adders to my Harley F150 which is pushing a little over 600HP currently. What is a popular thing that the Lightning/Harley guys do is something called a Killer Chiller where it taps inline with the A/C system (yes, you run A/C more then, but the gains outweigh the loses) and it keeps the intercooler system at 40* at almost any boost level passing throught the air-to-water intercoolers while having a quick recovery time. I may be incorrect in this, but WOT causes the compressor clutch to disengage anyways, so ultimately you'll still have the most power you'd want on tap regardless of the A/C being on.

Seems having out intercoolers mounted between the radiator and engine would be an incredibly hot location. Before I knew much about the X*M vehicles, I assumed the lower outer grill openings were being used to feed air to two small individual FMIC's much like the Cayenne Turbo.

I'm going to write Killer Chiller for the hell of it and see what it'd take to adapt one of their kits to work on our vehicles, but in the meantime I'm going to continue reading about intercooler upgrades, mostly hoping to see if anyone has done a FMIC and/or has upgraded the stock air-to-waters and documented the temp changes.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 09:53 PM   #28
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

So Killer Chiller replied and said they've only produced a few kits, but they said their few buyers never reported back as to it's gains.

I created this thread in regards to upgrading to F10 M5 parts, but it's been nothing but light reading with no replies - http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169348
Appreciate 1
TTV8M113.50
      09-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #29
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

A water/meth injection system will give you way more gains than an intercooler will. You will have to however tune for it. That means finding a tuner + dyno + custom tuning time. No mail-order tunes need apply. That pretty much limits your options there based on locale.

The benefits are HUGE on there. But without proper failsafes, can be bad too. Good kits offer a failsafe based on clogged lines, sprayers, or failed pumps. Cheap kits with a clogged sprayer, and a tune expecting a meth injection will detonate and break things. You could probably expect 50+HP/ft-lbs if not more. Not bad for a $600 kit, assuming you can get the right tune applied.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 05:28 AM   #30
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Bumping this thread. I am thinking of installing F10 M5 intercoolers on my X5M. Does anyone have experience with this?

I have seen someone install M5 CSF intercoolers on an E70 X5M so if those fit the OE F10 M5 Intercoolers Should fit.....
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 1
TTV8M113.50
      12-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #31
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Bumping this thread. I am thinking of installing F10 M5 intercoolers on my X5M. Does anyone have experience with this?

I have seen someone install M5 CSF intercoolers on an E70 X5M so if those fit the OE F10 M5 Intercoolers Should fit.....
Can you post where you saw the other retrofit? I’ve pulled the passenger intercooler to replace a boost solenoid and it is a very tight fit just for the stock intercoolers. Hoses and wiring would need serious changes to fit anything larger. I’d be concerned about the front brace clearance also and the ability to secure the lower hoses...design change may require custom charge pipes also.

Edit: the M5 intercooler also bolt straight to throttle body...so would need M5 throttle bodies or figure out how to retrofit. Would need to see theni take manifolds also

Last edited by jandref321; 12-11-2018 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:24 AM   #32
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Quote:

Can you post where you saw the other retrofit? I’ve pulled the passenger intercooler to replace a boost solenoid and it is a very tight fit just for the stock intercoolers. Hoses and wiring would need serious changes to fit anything larger. I’d be concerned about the front brace clearance also and the ability to secure the lower hoses...design change may require custom charge pipes also.
I can't find the pic now but I'm sure I saw it somewhere. When we were replacing my alternator I was showing the pic to my tech and he seemed to think there was enough room in there for the CSF intercoolers. I'll have to have another look when I change the oil next week.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #33
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
I can't find the pic now but I'm sure I saw it somewhere. When we were replacing my alternator I was showing the pic to my tech and he seemed to think there was enough room in there for the CSF intercoolers. I'll have to have another look when I change the oil next week.
Okay, I added more to my other post too...looks difficult
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #34
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, I added more to my other post too...looks difficult
Copy. I'm going to have to physically check this out again when I do the oil change.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #35
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

When I replaced my alternator, I remember it being tight when you consider the space for the electric fan. Though with custom hoses for the intake and intercooler cooling along with addressing the electric, it may be possible.

Another way to add additional cooling is to eliminate the charged air pipe that has the diverter valve; and replace it with a small custom water-air intercooler with a port for the diverter valve. This is all possible if you're not using your stock intake. More than likely you will be adding additional piping compared to stock so expect a small increase in turbo lag.

Intercooler like this....
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/front...ers-p-226.html
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 11:13 PM   #36
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
sounds like the dinan intercoolers are just copied/remanf M intercoolers........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///SAL View Post
That sucks! How could that be, this should be the other way around they should have more options for the M than the reg bmw. Their should be a reason why their isnt upgrades for the M intercoolers
      12-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #37
Movado750
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBert View Post
Why not look at meth injection to keep the air cooler, would be less expensive than intercoolers
That's the way I'm going with. Just running all the lines now.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2022, 11:36 PM   #38
TTV8M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 AMG GLE53, '10 X6M

Garage List
2023 AMG GLE53  [0.00]
2010 BMW X6M  [0.00]
2008 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
Anyone ever try the F10 M5 intercoolers on our trucks?

Quote:

Edit: the M5 intercooler also bolt straight to throttle body...so would need M5 throttle bodies or figure out how to retrofit. Would need to see theni take manifolds also