XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #1
jimbolambert
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 3.0L Diesel

Unhappy 3.0D Bent Rod Twice in 6 Weeks!

Hi, I’m new here and am seeking some advice about my Dad’s 2008 X5 3.0 diesel (single turbo) in Australia. He has had the car about 3 years and has just experienced his second engine failure in 2 months! Car is fully maintained by a trustworthy local ex BMW master mechanic who installed an aftermarket tune over a year ago. First engine failure occurred when car was dropped off for a service (running fine). Car had sat for little while and when the mechanic went to start it and it was making a tapping noise.
Turns out an injector was stuffed and cylinder 6 had a bent rod and a twisted crank. There was some water in the fuel, but not heaps. The mechanic suggested the injector failed open (in a big way) and flooded the cylinder with fuel after the motor was turned off. When the car was re-started the cylinder was full of fuel (and possibly some water) and caused a hydrolock.
All injectors were replaced along with the high pressure fuel pump. The motor was rebuilt with a new piston, rod, bearings and crank, and the head serviced. Huge $!

The car ran well for 6 or so weeks and then there were two sudden bangs whilst driving slowly and the car went into limp mode. There was heaps of error codes mostly related to cylinder 1. It turns out that cylinder 1 is now sitting about 0.5mm below TDC, so either has a bent rod or damaged gudgeon pin or bearing.

We don’t know yet if the new injector has also failed. Irrespective, I don’t see how that much fuel could possibly get in the combustion chamber whilst the motor is running. This leaves me thinking either too much boost or very wrong timing. I suspect either the ECU or the tune is at fault.

I believe that some cheaper "tunes" just increase the fuel rail pressure, which could well cause injector failure. However, this one is supposed to be one of the better ones that controls turbo vanes and injector cycling, etc. The tune is a Autologic one and involved the mechanic sending the ECU parameters overseas and the tuner company sending a revised tune to suit.

Car has run after tune install and then in between failures. My dad mentioned some turbo whine at slow speeds, though I don’t know if that is normal or not.

I assume that the ECU won’t allow too high boost, unless the tune overrides that. Being a diesel, I assume that the combustion is compression related only so it can’t be firing way too early. Also, there must be knock sensors.
I wonder if either the tune or ECU is experiencing an intermittent major melt down.

Does anyone have any other theories or suggestions?

There is also the question of what to do with the engine now. The mechanic suggested that it may not be necessary to replace the con rod if the piston is only 20 thou" (0.5mm) below TDC. From what I have read 10 thou” is max allowable difference.
The tune is definitely coming out and I am also thinking of getting a second-hand ECU if they aren’t too hard to match with the car.
If the motor needs to be rebuilt again, I am thinking that a wrecker motor might be a better option, though they seem to be around A$7K.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by jimbolambert; 09-03-2015 at 08:10 AM.. Reason: More info provided
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Wow, this sounds like a hassle. My first thought too was "take that tune off!"
While I can't offer much help, I suggest you also post this over at Xoutpost, there are some good knowledgeable folks over there and that forum seems somewhat more technical than this one. (not that some here aren't helpful...)

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e70-forum/

Good luck!
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
jimbolambert
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 3.0L Diesel

Thanks. I will give it a shot.
As it turns out Autologic who supplied the tune also does diagnostic equipment as well, so they are going to attempt to interpret the error codes to see if they can work out what is going wrong.
Appreciate 0