XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Valve Cover Gasket

Hello fellas,

Does anyone have an idea what the cost is parts and labor for a valve cover gasket job on X5 2011 LCI N55?

I got quoted $380 parts and labor and just wanted to know if it's in the neighborhood.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by e70msportmia View Post
Hello fellas,

Does anyone have an idea what the cost is parts and labor for a valve cover gasket job on X5 2011 LCI N55?

I got quoted $380 parts and labor and just wanted to know if it's in the neighborhood.

Thanks,
My extended warranty paid $2100 for a valve cover gasket job for my 2012 X5 50i at my dealer. I think they charged around 14 hours labor. I don't know if the N55 is different, but $380 sounds too little, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by e70msportmia View Post
Hello fellas,

Thanks,
My extended warranty paid $2100 for a valve cover gasket job for my 2012 X5 50i at my dealer. I think they charged around 14 hours labor. I don't know if the N55 is different, but $380 sounds too little, IMO.
Thanks for the reply! The stealership always has higher prices than an indy mechanic. My mechanic was tech for 15 years at a local BMW dealership. He is on his own now, a one man shop in a warehouse district and all he does is BMW and Benz.

He had gone through with me how much work it is on the N55 engine, removing all the fuel lines, removing all plastic in the engine bay etc... also doing an oil change.

I guess I got a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Yep had mine done at 100k miles.

The parts was around 400 something and about 450 labor at an Indy shop for the job.

The gasket is cheap the reason it was around 400 for parts is because it's recommended to replace the valve cover as well and spark plugs while it's out.

The PCV valve is built into the cover and can't be replaced so if you replace with the same part and it fails you'll be pulling it again plus the part is known to fail and crack over time.... and leak.

I checked with the Indy and he recommended it as well.

Also you should change spark plugs as well while it's out. The Indy didn't even charge for the spark plug install as the cover was out and easy to swap. That alone is a 400 dollar job.

So I'd recommend not only the gasket but the cover as it comes with the gasket and the spark plugs. Then you'll be set for another 100k
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #5
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Yep had mine done at 100k miles.

The parts was around 400 something and about 450 labor at an Indy shop for the job.

The gasket is cheap the reason it was around 400 for parts is because it's recommended to replace the valve cover as well and spark plugs while it's out.

The PCV valve is built into the cover and can't be replaced so if you replace with the same part and it fails you'll be pulling it again plus the part is known to fail and crack over time.... and leak.

I checked with the Indy and he recommended it as well.

Also you should change spark plugs as well while it's out. The Indy didn't even charge for the spark plug install as the cover was out and easy to swap. That alone is a 400 dollar job.

So I'd recommend not only the gasket but the cover as it comes with the gasket and the spark plugs. Then you'll be set for another 100k
Thanks for the reply.

I actually did the spark plugs about a month ago which were pretty bad when I removed them.

Since doing the spark plugs I stoped getting the message "reduced power".

I got another 100k to go hopefully nothing else! Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0