XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
XX5Monster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5M

Megan Racing Exhaust

I have seen mixed reviews on this and besides the fact that it doesn't cost as much as some others out there I dont see why its getting so much negative feedback. I obviosly understand that some may feel better that they are spending way more money and makes them feel as though it's a better product but I am a true believer in that isn't always the case. There are lots of retail products out there to prove that. From other car accessories, jeans, sunglasses ect ect. Companies love that the consumers are stupid enough to just think its the best thing cause it cost more so it must be wayyyy better but we all know thats not always true. If you are just looking to have an aftermarket exhaust to make it sound better and look better not expecting any more bs performance numbers or want to get caught up in the whole BIG performance names like Dinnan, Hamman and others, is this a good enough product to do its job for the money?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 12:40 AM   #2
TheVazha
Major
Rep
Drives: X5Mmmkay.

I bet if you weren't a member of this forum you would have already bought a Megan exhaust.

I agree with your statement almost entirely. One of my biggest beefs is with the price of down pipes. The pipes are LITERALLY exhaust pipes that cost almost nothing to manufacture. It is not a complicated part, just a pipe with a couple bends, it serves no technical mechanical function. Still, people charge thousands and people pay it.

The biggest scam on the planet however is the x pipe. I saw an ad for a GORGEOUS E60 M5 on CL and he lists all the mods in his ad. One of them is an x pipe made by some fancy company and the price of the mod is $1500. I almost shit myself. If you pay $1500 for an x pipe you are a moron, there is not an argument you can make that will justify the purchase and make me think otherwise. The x pipe, air boxes, air scoops, wheel spacers, and a dozen other parts are a big gimmick.

With all that said, there are plenty of parts that you cannot cheap out on. Electronic components, moving parts in he engine, wheels, and several others you need to be careful about cutting corners on. I haven't decided if an exhaust system fits into that category. I've seen guys put American made exhausts on their German cars, I've seen gutted exhaust systems, I've seen straight pipes, I've been fortunate enough to see them all. Still to this day, the best, most appropriate German muscle car sounding exhaust I've ever had the pleasure of owning was an Eisenmann set up on my E. There's not a system out there that sounded like it. It is the best sounding system across all platforms especially the AMG and M line.

Going back to the Megan set up, I have not had an opportunity to hear one in person but from the vids I saw on YT it seems a bit too raspy. Sort of like putting a Flowmaster on a P car. If someone here has a Megan set up and feels differently, please post a vid. I would LOVE to get my hands on a good exhaust and $3K for an Eisenmann set up is just not in the cards tonight.