XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #23
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenm View Post
Minimal drone and the smell isn’t so bad I enjoy it personally like having an older carb engine
I currently have a cutout on my X5, and it sounds super loud when I step on the gas! I might do a cat delete to make it crackle and pop more. However, as we are both from California, don't we have to put the cats back on every 2 years or so? Also, did you weld your pipes on, or just clamps?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 06:48 PM   #24
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca View Post
what kind of experience u asking about?

I own X5M for about 2.5 years now and based on that I have some experience... I also used to own 3.5i X5 before but that different...

I assume u asking mostly about performance upgrades (well in that category I don't have much, Velos tuned ~635hp, air scoops, BMC Air filters and about to put custom axle-back exhaust in, there are many other upgrades as well but they not necessary for the go)
still holding off on downpipes, have kinds in the car often enough...
What is your opinion on the overall reliability? Also, do you think that it can beat a Camaro SS or Mustang GT on a rolling/red light race?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #25
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by werdn View Post
What is your opinion on the overall reliability? Also, do you think that it can beat a Camaro SS or Mustang GT on a rolling/red light race?
every car is different from another even when u talking about the same model car, so my experience was mostly pleasant and worry free (knocking on wood)
this particular car was always a dream of mine so when opportunity came up I took it, the first owner didn't take very well care of the car and was mostly 'racing" it so I had to fix some of the flows, as well it didn't come with some options u would expect from '13 model (such as LEDs, etc.) I also took care of those.

As far as beating Camaro or Mustang at the race I think stock E70 X5M won't beat them but modified very well could.

You should check with some of M owners on this forum who actually do race their Ms (I'm not one of them)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 08:33 PM   #26
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

i dont think that throwing an S85 in an X5 is a good idea.. S85 is a rev loving engine and if you combine it with X5's weight it may not be good.. S85 is a great engine but it ll be more special if you swap into a 3 series and it fits.. if you want a faster X5-X6 you need an M.. its totally different than you think probably and it ll be much cheaper for you..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 07:59 AM   #27
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

^^^ this. Having owned an E60 M5 in the past, this engine would not suit the X5 platform very well at all. Just look at a stock dyno graph and you’ll see the torque curve is clearly not suitable for a heavy suv. You’d be better off spending the money on an s63 setup.
Appreciate 1
werdn656.00
      04-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #28
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

I am an enthusiast with a good imagination that can create things in my mind accurately based on info, and I completely concur with this.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #29
omgboost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1489394
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #30
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

The feeling of boost will trump the screaming V10. BMW NA engines were tuned very well and don't leave a lot of power on the table. I suggest just doing a custom turbo on your current engine. When preparing your drivetrain for more power, it is not the HP you have to worry about...but the torque. Being that the e70 chassis can tow, it should be able to handle a lot of torque...which means you can up the boost. Just remember the tune is the most important thing.

Generally BMW swaps are very expensive and it can be hard to find information. I also suggest LS vs a BMW swap. You can find tons of info on swapping an LS. Also there are companies making LS swapping parts for BMW chassis.....engine, transmission mounts, exhaust, etc...

Engine swaps are not for the weak.....but like most situations money is very powerful and can make things happen fast.

You can find some good info here to get more familiar with engine swapping in a BMW.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ing-Start-Here!
Appreciate 1
werdn656.00
      04-26-2018, 09:14 AM   #31
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
The feeling of boost will trump the screaming V10. BMW NA engines were tuned very well and don't leave a lot of power on the table. I suggest just doing a custom turbo on your current engine. When preparing your drivetrain for more power, it is not the HP you have to worry about...but the torque. Being that the e70 chassis can tow, it should be able to handle a lot of torque...which means you can up the boost. Just remember the tune is the most important thing.

Generally BMW swaps are very expensive and it can be hard to find information. I also suggest LS vs a BMW swap. You can find tons of info on swapping an LS. Also there are companies making LS swapping parts for BMW chassis.....engine, transmission mounts, exhaust, etc...

Engine swaps are not for the weak.....but like most situations money is very powerful and can make things happen fast.

You can find some good info here to get more familiar with engine swapping in a BMW.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ing-Start-Here!
Thanks for you information! I am currently considering between buying an X5M, or putting a supercharger on the car. I feel that putting a turbo on the car would be too expensive, and would equate to getting a X5 50i. Furthermore, I worry that the stock internals would not be able to handle the added power from the turbo.

I have sadly decided that the insane V10 swap would not be practical, and would remain only a dream!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #32
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdn View Post
Thanks for you information! I am currently considering between buying an X5M, or putting a supercharger on the car. I feel that putting a turbo on the car would be too expensive, and would equate to getting a X5 50i. Furthermore, I worry that the stock internals would not be able to handle the added power from the turbo.

I have sadly decided that the insane V10 swap would not be practical, and would remain only a dream!
The sound that engine makes is intoxicating!

Can't go wrong with an X5M or F''M5
Appreciate 1
werdn656.00
      04-26-2018, 01:31 PM   #33
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
still holding off on downpipes, have kinds in the car often enough...
I don't understand how downpipes has anything to do with kids being in the car... other than setting a bad example with the 30 extra hp...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #34
greddy91
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
As far as beating Camaro or Mustang at the race I think stock E70 X5M won't beat them but modified very well could.

You should check with some of M owners on this forum who actually do race their Ms (I'm not one of them)
Walked an older GT500 and have walked from several vets... Can't speak to new gen mulletmobiles or coyote-laden mustangs. I own a '14 GT with bolt-ons and before the bent rod and not on map 3 the M still felt faster to me.

I pride myself on seeing the pissed off faces of the car owners, so the GT500 being a vert and with the top down was extra special. My fiance and I were rolling at how disturbed the guy looked.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 10:18 PM   #35
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greddy91 View Post
Walked an older GT500 and have walked from several vets... Can't speak to new gen mulletmobiles or coyote-laden mustangs. I own a '14 GT with bolt-ons and before the bent rod and not on map 3 the M still felt faster to me.

I pride myself on seeing the pissed off faces of the car owners, so the GT500 being a vert and with the top down was extra special. My fiance and I were rolling at how disturbed the guy looked.
Have you seen what Gixxer did to his X5M? Doesn't it make 700bhp with the new turbo's and the tune?
Appreciate 0