XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-31-2011, 06:25 AM   #1
G5day
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Child seats in X6

We had an X6 on loan from our dealer yesterday as considering replacing my M5 with it. The challenge we had was with our child seat. We have a pretty standard 3yr+ isofix child seat which clips in ok. The problem is the top of it hits the non adjustable headrests in the back seats. This meant the child seat is tilted way too far forwards. The child seat extends in height as the child gets older which means the problem will only become worse as we extend the seat (it further catches the fixed headrests). Looking at BMWs only car seats the same design floor occurs.

Does anyone else have this issue, if so how did you work around it? I see that a three seat option is imminent which has adjustable headrests which will solve the problem, however would prefer to no go down that route, so hoping there may be a better way?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
lanvin
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E71 X6 xDrive40d

I get my x640d in June, I hadn't really thought about this and I'm glad you brought it up, I also have child seat the same as yours for my three year old, I hope the five seater will have adjustable head rests at the rear like you state, I will call the dealer today to confirm
thanks for pointing it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Wait, so X6 back seat headrest is not going up?
I have no issues on my 335i coupe which is being replaced with X6 soon
I also have Recaro Expert Plus with Isofix base
I used to lean the back of the carseat against the headrest while it was all way down
Carseat didnt look too upward, but once retracted headrest, it was more "reclined"

Now you guys got me thinking...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
G5day
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
Wait, so X6 back seat headrest is not going up?
I have no issues on my 335i coupe which is being replaced with X6 soon
I also have Recaro Expert Plus with Isofix base
I used to lean the back of the carseat against the headrest while it was all way down
Carseat didnt look too upward, but once retracted headrest, it was more "reclined"

Now you guys got me thinking...
Strangely the headrests are actually part of the main rear seats with no movement or adjustment. The pics of the new option of rear 3 seat bench looks to have more normal headrests that are adjustable and removable.

Last edited by G5day; 03-31-2011 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
snipez999
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M50d

Am UK based with a Jan 2011 X6 40d and twin 6 year olds. I bought 2 x Jane Momo Plus isofix carseats for them. They come with 3 position reclining seat with a Proportional Height Adjustment System (gotta love the gimmicky names LOL). Not a problem in the X6 or the wife's Q7. Kids are comfortable, safe and readily go to sleep during even short drives (ahh bliss). TGhey retail around 180 quid I got mine from Kiddicare.com
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
G5day
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipez999 View Post
Am UK based with a Jan 2011 X6 40d and twin 6 year olds. I bought 2 x Jane Momo Plus isofix carseats for them. They come with 3 position reclining seat with a Proportional Height Adjustment System (gotta love the gimmicky names LOL). Not a problem in the X6 or the wife's Q7. Kids are comfortable, safe and readily go to sleep during even short drives (ahh bliss). TGhey retail around 180 quid I got mine from Kiddicare.com
Found pics of them online they look like they would also hit the head rest as you extend them, have you got them set low or are they resting on the headrest. If the latter can you post a pic? Would be interested to see how if fits better we have the recaro seat which is pretty similar but only has one recline position. Maybe the 3 position recline gives you more scope to balance out the headrest incroachment.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 04:13 AM   #7
snipez999
Private
Rep
Drives: X6M50d

They do rest on the headrests but due to the reclining feature they sit fine - base extended out to compensate. When extended the angle of forward tilt is not effected - ie. they still sit fine. With fixed headrests you really do need something with an adjustable base section to compensate.
Appreciate 0