XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
rbrobson1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 (E70) xDrive35i

Just made the Jump from 328i to X5. Looking for advice

Hey All -

I have been a member for years and spent most of my time on the 3 series threads but have finally made the jump to the X side as i just purchased a CPO 2013 X5 xDrive35i premium black with cinnamon interior. I have to say the jump was so much easier than i expected. Drives just like a car.

That said I have already started making minor tweaks an mods to the X5 and I am looking for some advice on 2 or 3 of the Mods I am looking to do in the very near future. I have searched the threads but most results seem to apply to pre-LCI E70's and I am not well enough versed yet to determine if they apply or not so i figured i'd start fresh.

1. Non-OEM Aero Kit: How poor quality could a non OEM kit be? it's just plastic no? Also I am a mechanical engineer by trade... so I think i can figure out the install. I have narrowed it down to two non OEM options on eBay with one being 2x the cost as the other... Am i missing a glaring difference between the two? does anyone have experience with either?

Option 1 ($495)

Option 2 ($295)

2. Wheel / Tire upgrade: I got killed on the cost of tires and rims on my 3 series (living in NYC) so i splurged for the BMW tire and wheel package on the X5 (talked them down to $720 for the 5 years). Does anyone have any experience on how this warranty / insurance is affected if i upgrade my wheels to Larger OEMs...and/or Non OEM wheels? I would like to avoid voiding this warrenty / contract. If i crack an upgraded OEM rim will they at least cover cost of the original OEM one and I eat the difference?

I realize this is getting long winded so i will start with those two for now... I look forward to some meeting some of you and getting your feedback. I have a feeling I will be sticking with the X line for a while now Love the SUV!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

1st off, welcome to the forums!

I love the aero kit, but not sure it's worth it on a black X5? Could you even see it? It's definitely noticeable on white or silver….but black? And you just bought a '13 X5, I wouldn't get cheap and buy eBay stuff, get OEM.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I have had 2 aero kits from ebay when I had my pre-LCI E70.

The first one had a very similar material look/finish to the cheaper one you posted and it was poor fitment and quality; the edges were rough as if cut with a hand saw and it didn't flex enough to give a good fit.

The second one was in grey primer, made from a more suitable material that felt flexible like a car bumper and was much better quality, I'm not sure if the more expensive one you posted is like this, however from the pictures (if thats the actual item) it certainly looks more like it.

As for the wheel insurance, I'm pretty sure BMW won't cover aftermarket wheels at all. If you bent or cracked one, they could easily argue that the quality of the wheel is questionable and that if you had a BMW wheel it wouldn't have been damaged (BS I know but this is what insurance companies do).
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #4
rbrobson1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 (E70) xDrive35i

Thanks guys... both great points. I do think the Aero Kit does make a difference even on the black X5... but I agree for a few hundred dollars more it is worth the OEM kit.

Regarding the wheels i think i have decided to keep the OEM 19" Style 334 wheels but powder coating them a gloss black for a sportier look. I cannot find any photos on the internet of the 334 wheels in black (I know they are a newer BMW style). I am slightly concerned that at 19" the wheels may appear like spares or donuts when painted black though :/ any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 02:29 AM   #5
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrobson1 View Post
Regarding the wheels i think i have decided to keep the OEM 19" Style 334 wheels but powder coating them a gloss black for a sportier look. I cannot find any photos on the internet of the 334 wheels in black (I know they are a newer BMW style). I am slightly concerned that at 19" the wheels may appear like spares or donuts when painted black though :/ any thoughts?
I think 19" is too small to go black - gunmetal/anthracite might be better.

Or, get genuine 20" and go black with those; BMW wheel insurance may cover those as they are OEM.
Appreciate 0