XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-24-2015, 09:00 PM   #1
09x5xdrive48i
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8i

Premium Sound Package Aftermarket Rear Video

Guys,
I have been searching this and other forums and cannot find a clear answer.
I am new to BMW's. Had German, Japanese and Domestic, but this is my first bimmer. So I am not as "well versed" in technical jargon everyone seems to operate in.

I just got an 09 X5 4.8i loaded with Premiums, Sports, Sounds, Climate packages, etc. One of the few extras I don't have is Rear Entertainment.

Could someone kindly, in plain english explain what do I need to do to add a Rear Monitor to my DVD Changer in the glove box. I have a Pano roof, so I am planning on either dual screens behind headrests or if I can make it work, a single folding monitor between the front seats.

Thank you in advance for your patience in explaining it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 11:36 PM   #2
SlowBucksE70
Rep
Drives: Bmw X5 50i M Sport

I would love to know that same exact thing.. I don't have a dvd changer though but my idrive system does play dvd
      11-25-2015, 12:14 AM   #3
protecon
*May contain nuts
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M MCB

I'm sure someone with the rear entertainment option will trade you for your standard armrest.

If it's for the kids, there's a plethora of headrest-mounted Android tablet-style options available - this is probably your best bet to allow independent use (eg one playing Peppa Pig and the other games).
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 07:32 AM   #4
09x5xdrive48i
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8i

Actually protecon, that is exactly what I need it for - kids.
I am not a fan of the headrest mounted units, because I am not planning on doing extensive work of feeding the wires through the seats that are already loaded with electronics. And I sure don't like the look of wires dangling between the displays and cigarette lighter, etc.
I am planning on rigging up a mount in the same place that the original RES was, so it keeps everything low and out of the way. Also the wires are easier to hide in the console.
I was just hoping to utilize the DVD changer in the glove so I can use a slim monitor instead of the thick, cheap looking portable player/monitor combo.

Can anyone help? How to connect an external monitor to the existing DVD player??
Appreciate 0