XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-30-2022, 06:31 PM   #1
Gambit77
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

Coolant Leak Images - Ideas?

Hello everyone,

2008 BMW X5 N52
Ignore the green coolant as I added a fluorescent dye to the blue coolant that turned it green so I can better locate the leak.

So I have been chasing down this slow coolant leak for a while from the bottom and could not determine which hose it was coming from. That’s because it’s not coming from any hose. It’s coming from the front block.

Seems like the front head gasket is leaking coolant. Right where the accessories belt is located. Nothing is leaking into the cylinders or mixing with the oil. tested it. Sucks because the rest of the vehicle is in great condition.

What are my options here to stop this leak?
Is my only option a head gasket replacement?
Any ideas?

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 11:18 PM   #2
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

i Think I would at a minimum attempt tightening my head bolts.... loong before I replaced anything..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 04:51 PM   #3
Gambit77
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekero View Post
i Think I would at a minimum attempt tightening my head bolts.... loong before I replaced anything..
Yeah, thats not a bad idea. I have read that the head bolts can come loose or even come off from regular heat cycles.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 02:44 PM   #4
matyoka
Silent OPerator
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M package

Just posted about a similar issue in my X5 5.0i... been noticing missing coolant for a while now and odor is present when I pull in my garage. What dye can I use to get the same green results? Head bolts are located where exactly LOL. Appreciate your time guys!!

Lev
      12-07-2022, 06:30 AM   #5
dudelange
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I had a similar problem on my 3.0 Diesel 2010. Leak from front of the engine block. It was the water pump. Replaced and the leak stopped.
I understand we should replace the water pump and service belts every 60.000Km
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 06:31 AM   #6
dudelange
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekero View Post
I would not touch the head bolts. They need the proper torque and it is unlikely that the head could be the source of the leak
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 11:29 AM   #7
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Just had my expansion tank pop, its the achilles heel of the system…plastic.
      12-07-2022, 05:39 PM   #8
Dekero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35I

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
Just had my expansion tank pop, its the achilles heel of the system…plastic.
Brother then entire engine compartment is the Achilles heel... Every bit of plastic on every BMW I've ever owned gets heat soaked by 80-100k miles and then it's just a matter of time until they start popping one after the other... That's why a true BMW enthusiast knows this, and has replaced most of not all of the intake system(The charge pipe at a minimum) and the entire cooling system hoses before all that mess starts happening...

Oh and let's not start talking about all the dried up gaskets and oil leaks by 100k...

Owning a BMW is like being in abusive relationship... I keep getting my ass kicked, But I keep going back because the sex is Fn amazing...😆😆
Appreciate 0