XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #1
robinasu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E70 BMW X5d

Active Steering Retrofit

Was anybody successful retrofitting active steering to their E70?

From what I see, it seems doable:

-The Active Steering (AS) pump looks very similar compared to the basic, & Servotronic options. The basic rack has no electrical connections. The Servotronic rack has a variable assist actuator, and the AS rack has Servotronic, planetary motor control, planetary position, and the fail-safe connections.

-The Active Drive (AD) pump seems to be two pumps in one. The Servotronic and basic steering pumps have different part numbers, but seem to be the same in they have the eco function connector. The eco function is a bypass function to pump most of the flow back into the tank to same fuel.

-The schematics show the basic steering to have the eco valve which is activated from the (JBE) Juntion Box Electronics module. The AS option controls the eco valve via the AS module.

-The AS module has connections for Servotronic, planetary motor control, planetary position, fail-safe, eco valve, CAN, and power connections

-It looks like at least one of the power steering hoses needs to be replaced - but not sure.

-E70 & E71 racks appear to be fair game

-Only E70 AS modules appear to be valid. The X71 uses a different module- seems to have functionality to control the torque vectoring rear differential. I don't know, maybe that could be added to the X5 but too much for me.

Some questions from my research:

-Does the X5 need un upgraded DSC sensor
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...eering/22DVCD3

-What do we do with the JBE eco valve connector? Is this coded out or do we need a resistor to prevent a code?

Here are some resources:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...eering/24xR047

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...eering/1ppLQCo
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I would say price is the prohibitive factor, even used those active racks are $$$, the last I checked (had some spare time).
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 11:46 PM   #3
Nooooooooob1
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35i, E46 330Ci

Yeah that sounds expensive. But would be a fun project go do!
Appreciate 0