XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
hsc1102
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

2010 X5M Coolant Slow Leak

Hi guys, I own a 2010 X5M with roughly 92k miles on it. Over the past month, I've had to refill my coolant/antifreeze as it was low. In the past week, I've noticed a few drops of what seems to be the coolant in the garage.

Is this a common issue for the X5M for which there is some kind of extended warranty or recall?

Is it common given the age of the car?

What should I expect in terms of repair costs (I know it depends on where the slow leak is)?

Any insight would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
philly42
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M, Z3M

If the leak is coming from the driverside, the leak may be coming from the expansion tank. It's common for the coolant lines for the turbos to wear and start leaking. Though that will leak on top of the engine.

From my understanding BMWs are not known for having solid cooling systems.

The dealer charges $250 for an oil change....this will give you an idea an idea of how steep repair costs can be. I can imagine an expansion tank replacement could be around $800.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2018, 06:05 PM   #3
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

if you re sure those drops you ve seen in the garage is not the reason spilling while filling up, there s no leakage somewhere and you dont see bubbles in expansion tank.. high revving with cold engine can cause that, in hot climate low airflow on radiators can cause that.. do you have additional protection in front of radiators except OEM parts? if so taking them off can help.. more the car gets older such parts tend to wear like sensors that checks the coolant temp and they leak.. or since heating system uses coolant to heat also their pipes.. if i were you after driving in dry weather for 2 days i d find a place to check under the engine bay attentively.. my E46 M3 had such a problem 2 years ago it took some time for me to find the reason.. after it got worse i figured out one of the piping was tearing apart slowly in a hidden parts of the engine.. with some nice light and attention you may find such crack also.. and depending on the part it may not be that expensive especially not in official services..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

My 2010 developed a leak in the coolant expansion tank at around 93K, and it was just a fine spray coming out as it heated up, so it was a little hard to find, just had to keep poking my head in and looking for it, after doing a good engine bay cleaning.

I bought a new tank and did the job myself, took about 30 min, and I was able to save most of the coolant, so between a few prior fill ups and the swap, I have used 1 gallon of bmw coolant and 1 gallon of distilled water.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
svt1998gt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335i, 2012 X5 M spor

Garage List
I just got mine back from the shop but the issue was my steering knuckle wore through the heater hose. It was due to a repair before that left the heater hose exposed.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2018, 08:15 AM   #6
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt1998gt View Post
I just got mine back from the shop but the issue was my steering knuckle wore through the heater hose. It was due to a repair before that left the heater hose exposed.
not a surprise..
Appreciate 0