XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
Engine oil at minimum!

Hi guys, own X5 for little over a month, 2011, 35i. Picked it up with little over 30k miles, currently at 31895. Got message tonight that my Engine Oil at minimum level and I need to add 1 quart of oil. Is this normal? Sounds like too much too soon to me. I called my sales rep. he also said that this doesn't sounds normal and advised me to call tech in the morning. Now I just went back to my car and check the status, no message about oil until I actually go to check oil screen, then it the same message. Overall status is still says good! I'm a little confused. Should I just add a 1 quart of oil as it says, I actually have no idea which kind of oil it's using. Can I still drive like that for some time?
Thanks for u time and responses!

Edit: so I checked what kind of oil this engine uses and it seems like unless they put something different it's suppose to be:
Castrol Full Synthetic 5w30

I live kind of far from the dealer where I bought my car so even if they tell me to bring the car in I probably won't be able to for few days, I assume if I buy that oil tomorrow I should be fine for another 2K? Does the BMW engines have dip stick to check oil level? just wondering because I recall reading somewhere that there is none.
Attached Images

Last edited by boneca; 12-16-2013 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: more info
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
TB8715
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

I have just bought a few Pre-Owned BMW's and it seems that adding oil every 2500 is normal from what i'm reading and it depends on your driving habits. If it starts using a quart in less than 750 then people say it needs to be looked at...just what i have started reading, so maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
boneca
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5M  [10.00]
2011 BMW X5  [10.00]
this morning I called service rep. and sure enough she told me to add 1 quart of oil which I finally did. Now the computer shows oil level at max. Here is my question, if oil was at minimum level and engine takes 7 quarts, by adding 1 quart of oil I should be somewhere in the middle at the best. What is this a malfunctioning of reader or what?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Da M3nace
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneca
this morning I called service rep. and sure enough she told me to add 1 quart of oil which I finally did. Now the computer shows oil level at max. Here is my question, if oil was at minimum level and engine takes 7 quarts, by adding 1 quart of oil I should be somewhere in the middle at the best. What is this a malfunctioning of reader or what?
Thats Not how it works. As with a dip stick this meter only indicates the level between the lines that averages One quart. So in other words if you are at minimum you should add about a full quart. If your are at half way between minimum and max than add half a quart. The gauge is not showing you the entire oil tank level but just the top surface.
Appreciate 0