XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Automatic High Beams not working

This morning when I left for work the automatic high beams are not working on my X5M. The little "A" does not turn on in the odometer window. The check box for Automatic high beams is checked in the I Drive. Not sure what is happening.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
Its such a stupid feature anyway. I remember quite an embarrassing event back around 8 years ago, when I was stuck in traffic b/c of a street closure, and a guy behind me in a Jeep GC kept high beaming me time after time, after time... I jumped out of my car and yelled at the guy - the poor dude was scared and couldn't even say a word.

Then a few month later my parents got the same truck, and only then I realized it had this super annoying feature that spontaneously turns high beams on and off.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

Actually, on the X5 it's a pretty sweet feature and works EXTREMELY well. Push the headlamp stalk forward at night and that should turn it on...it will show up in your center display with a highlighted/static "A."
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I had it on the M3 and now on the X5M. It used to work until this morning. When you push the stalk forward the Auto light does not light up in the odometer window. The high beams come on but the auto function does not turn on. It is enabled in the I drive.

Just wondering if anyone else has or has had this problem with the high beams and if there was anything that can be done other than the dealer.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #5
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by retusn View Post
I had it on the M3 and now on the X5M. It used to work until this morning. When you push the stalk forward the Auto light does not light up in the odometer window. The high beams come on but the auto function does not turn on. It is enabled in the I drive.

Just wondering if anyone else has or has had this problem with the high beams and if there was anything that can be done other than the dealer.

Thanks.
I didnt know there was a setting in i-drive for it. Was the Auto light always on before? Mine only works when I push the stalk forward and the Auto light turns on. I always thought it was poorly done on the x5 because it doesnt turn on automatically when you start the car

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

There is a function in the I Drive which is High Beam Assistant. You check the box but you still have to push the stalk forward to turn on the AUTO function of the high beams. Mine is turning on the high beams but not the auto function.

I am trying to figure this out without a trip to the dealer.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
GKyri
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 30D

Sounds like you are doing the right things. Turning it on in I Drive and pushing the stalk forward.

Its an excellent feature by the way - works exactly as expected.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

useless feature and almost as bad as auto cruise control
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Just make sure you only push the stalk once, otherwise you will turn on the high beam and not the assist. I learned the hard way...
      01-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Looks like it will be off to the dealer to get this looked at. UGH, I hate dealing with a dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #11
BeamerandBimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S63tu

Did you manually turn on your headlights? I don't think the Auto Highbeams or the swiveling headlights work in the "On" position just in the "Auto".
Past BMWs;'22M850 Conv, '19 SG M5(ED 5/19),14 Ionic Silver i3, '16 S1000XR, '16 Azurite Black M5, '07 G650X-Challenge, '10 R1200GSA, '15 Mineral Gray M4, '14 S1000R,'10 Alpine White 135ia M-Sport, '13 Carbon Black X5 50i, '10 Carbon Black M5, '07 Graphite K1200GT, '08 335ia, '05 545i, '04 R1150R, '03.5 M3 Cabrio, '00 540ia, '97 M3 sedan, '97 540ia
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #12
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerandBimmer View Post
Did you manually turn on your headlights? I don't think the Auto Highbeams or the swiveling headlights work in the "On" position just in the "Auto".
That is correct, it has to be in the "auto" position.
      01-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well I feel like an idiot. I guess when I was detailing the interior i moved the light switch all the way over to the right. The chimes don't sound so I didn't notice. Auto is all the way to the left. I just switched it over and the "A" works now. I knew it was something simple but don't remember even being near the switch when I cleaned the inside.
Lesson learned, thank goodness I didn't schedule an appointment at the dealer. Page 88 in the owners manual and even tells the green LED will be lit up. I really feel dumb on this one.

Thanks everyone, appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

OP, I just added a X5M 2 days ago and was puzzled by it, so your thread helped another fellow member! I have spent my time on the M3 board so thank you for this informative post....
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
OP, I just added a X5M 2 days ago and was puzzled by it, so your thread helped another fellow member! I have spent my time on the M3 board so thank you for this informative post....
Welcome to the X5M world. I traded an 11 M3 for mine. I liked the M3 but my back and my wife's Rheumatoid Arthritis did not like the the low ride.

Your welcome on the post. I like these boards to figure stuff out before hitting the dealership. My favorite dealer is over in Louisville which is a little over an hour away. My local dealer I am not too keen on.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
MonteCarloX5///M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 Monte Carlo Blue X5M

Quote:
This morning when I left for work the automatic high beams are not working on my X5M. The little "A" does not turn on in the odometer window. The check box for Automatic high beams is checked in the I Drive. Not sure what is happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post
Its such a stupid feature anyway. I remember quite an embarrassing event back around 8 years ago, when I was stuck in traffic b/c of a street closure, and a guy behind me in a Jeep GC kept high beaming me time after time, after time... I jumped out of my car and yelled at the guy - the poor dude was scared and couldn't even say a word.

Then a few month later my parents got the same truck, and only then I realized it had this super annoying feature that spontaneously turns high beams on and off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
Actually, on the X5 it's a pretty sweet feature and works EXTREMELY well. Push the headlamp stalk forward at night and that should turn it on...it will show up in your center display with a highlighted/static "A."
Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
I didnt know there was a setting in i-drive for it. Was the Auto light always on before? Mine only works when I push the stalk forward and the Auto light turns on. I always thought it was poorly done on the x5 because it doesnt turn on automatically when you start the car
Quote:
There is a function in the I Drive which is High Beam Assistant. You check the box but you still have to push the stalk forward to turn on the AUTO function of the high beams. Mine is turning on the high beams but not the auto function.

I am trying to figure this out without a trip to the dealer.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKyri View Post
Sounds like you are doing the right things. Turning it on in I Drive and pushing the stalk forward.

Its an excellent feature by the way - works exactly as expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog x6 View Post
useless feature and almost as bad as auto cruise control
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
Just make sure you only push the stalk once, otherwise you will turn on the high beam and not the assist. I learned the hard way...
Quote:
Looks like it will be off to the dealer to get this looked at. UGH, I hate dealing with a dealership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerandBimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
That is correct, it has to be in the "auto" position.
Quote:
Well I feel like an idiot. I guess when I was detailing the interior i moved the light switch all the way over to the right. The chimes don't sound so I didn't notice. Auto is all the way to the left. I just switched it over and the "A" works now. I knew it was something simple but don't remember even being near the switch when I cleaned the inside.
Lesson learned, thank goodness I didn't schedule an appointment at the dealer. Page 88 in the owners manual and even tells the green LED will be lit up. I really feel dumb on this one.

Thanks everyone, appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
Quote:
Welcome to the X5M world. I traded an 11 M3 for mine. I liked the M3 but my back and my wife's Rheumatoid Arthritis did not like the the low ride.

Your welcome on the post. I like these boards to figure stuff out before hitting the dealership. My favorite dealer is over in Louisville which is a little over an hour away. My local dealer I am not too keen on.
Wanted to quote everyone so I could get a response, since the thread is pretty old; I just stumbled on it now.

I am surprised you guys say it works good. Mine is ok, but it never turns off when I want it to. Also, for the past month and a bit, after about 20 min of night driving with headlight position on Automatic, I get a warning saying Auto High Beam Assist Malfunction caused by reduced visibility for the sensor. Not sure why this keeps happening. Road conditions are fine, no fog, no snow, no rain, no nothing. Has anyone had this happen before?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
airshaq20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, E60

Love this feature. Unfortunately, it rarely turns on since I always drive where cars are around me.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
retusn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Never have had the fault warning. The auto feature works great. The only time it is slow is on some hills around here. I can see the oncoming lights and kill the brights before topping the hill. On a straight out road the auto function most of the time works faster than I would on dimming. If I get a real bright road sign which reflects the light back, the lights will dim which is strange.
Appreciate 0