XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #23
Gerryballz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Also on my M I couldn't use the Macht Schnell module. My truck doesn't have a standalone EDC module like the m3. It's controlled by a different module that control the swaybars as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #24
mberger111
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
Yes. KWV3 eliminates the EDC. The version with the eliminator is to prevent codes and error messages. The version without is for those vehicles that don't have EDC, don't care about errors, are are using another EDC eliminator.
Thanks for the info. So if I wanted to go cheaper, would using the eliminator without the new suspension help?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #25
mberger111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryballz View Post
Also on my M I couldn't use the Macht Schnell module. My truck doesn't have a standalone EDC module like the m3. It's controlled by a different module that control the swaybars as well.
Would it work on mine though? Mine is not an M model just the "sport" model with EDC.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #26
Gerryballz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mberger111
Quote:
Would it work on mine though? Mine is not an M model just the "sport" model with EDC.
Don't think so. I'm pretty sure it affects all e70's. This is the source of my information:http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/e7...%20Systems.pdf" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.bmwmotors...ystems.pdf</a>
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #27
Gerryballz
Private First Class
Rep

bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/e70/04c_E70%20Vertical%20Dynamics%20Systems.pdf
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #28
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
That is definietly good information to know. So to eliminate the shock error only KW's modules or coding will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mberger111 View Post
I personally don't think so though I could be wrong here. The Electronic Damper Control and Active Swaybars are different systems that work together. All the KW EDC modules do are tell the car there are active shocks present by giving the appropriate electronic resistance. Your Active Swaybars failing would be a different check and still result in an error, though it could result in a general edc error. Kind of how a check engine light is a general error that could mean any number of specific things.

What does your specific error say?
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #29
mberger111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 guy View Post
That is definietly good information to know. So to eliminate the shock error only KW's modules or coding will work.

I personally don't think so though I could be wrong here. The Electronic Damper Control and Active Swaybars are different systems that work together. All the KW EDC modules do are tell the car there are active shocks present by giving the appropriate electronic resistance. Your Active Swaybars failing would be a different check and still result in an error, though it could result in a general edc error. Kind of how a check engine light is a general error that could mean any number of specific things.

What does your specific error say?

This is what is on the nav screen and then there is the small shock logo on the dash. This is from the internet on an M3 but it's pretty much the same.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #30
Gerryballz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm not too sure if it can be coded out without retaining the individual EDC boxes at each shock. They are required to be present for the VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Module) to operate with no errors. In simpler terms the M3 has 1 EDC module in the trunk that communicates with the shocks. On the E70 they moved the EDC module to each shock, and intergraded it with a VDC module. This is the first time it has been done. I tried several experienced coders and they could only code out EDC shocks if those boxes stayed connected. So at the end of the day, you still need to cut the wire to separate the shock from the individual EDC boxes, this is what I was trying to avoid...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #31
Gerryballz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
This is what is on the nav screen and then there is the small shock logo on the dash. This is from the internet on an M3 but it's pretty much the same.
Since its a shock logo on the error, maybe if you get underneath and unplug the sways bar motors a different error would come up. If not it could be general error like M3 Guy said above, or the dealer misdiagnosed? A second opinion wont be a bad idea IMO. Has anyone had swaybar specific errors in the past?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #32
mberger111
Rep

Quote:
Since its a shock logo on the error, maybe if you get underneath and unplug the sways bar motors a different error would come up. If not it could be general error like M3 Guy said above, or the dealer misdiagnosed? A second opinion wont be a bad idea IMO. Has anyone had swaybar specific errors in the past?
What would cutting the EDC mudules from the shock do overall? I really don't need the EDC, just a standard shock setup would be fine for me so I'm hoping to find a cheaper alternative to get the vehicle working ok. It's pretty rough with the error. They said it was not a necessary fix (won't damage anything), but the X5 goes to the roughest settings with the code tripped.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #33
Gerryballz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What would cutting the EDC mudules from the shock do overall? I really don't need the EDC, just a standard shock setup would be fine for me so I'm hoping to find a cheaper alternative to get the vehicle working ok. It's pretty rough with the error. They said it was not a necessary fix (won't damage anything), but the X5 goes to the roughest settings with the code tripped.
You would only cut them if you were installing KW coilovers. They are required to be transferred to the new shocks for their EDC delete to work.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #34
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Quote:
I'm not too sure if it can be coded out without retaining the individual EDC boxes at each shock. They are required to be present for the VDC (Vehicle Dynamics Module) to operate with no errors. In simpler terms the M3 has 1 EDC module in the trunk that communicates with the shocks. On the E70 they moved the EDC module to each shock, and intergraded it with a VDC module. This is the first time it has been done. I tried several experienced coders and they could only code out EDC shocks if those boxes stayed connected. So at the end of the day, you still need to cut the wire to separate the shock from the individual EDC boxes, this is what I was trying to avoid...
That is indeed a bummer. Would have been cool if there was a no cut option. Thanks for posting as that is one more thing we can put to rest on here.

Also apologies to the op for all of this. We tend to get sidetracked easily around here.
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #35
mberger111
Rep

Quote:
That is indeed a bummer. Would have been cool if there was a no cut option. Thanks for posting as that is one more thing we can put to rest on here.

Also apologies to the op for all of this. We tend to get sidetracked easily around here.
Ya that's my bad I guess. So bottomline...just get it fixed after a second opinion? Thanks everyone for the input.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 07:23 PM   #36
623E70
Rep
Drives: MCB X5M

Looks good. Clean, simple.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #37
wowdao
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X5 4.8i

Would you be able to put the V3 on a x5 with air suspension?
Appreciate 0