XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #23
zoex5m
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyaant911 View Post
Thanks for this.. I've been having this god awful noise even before the suspension install or lowering I assumed it was shock mounts and I was doing everything at once so I figured I'd be good. I did bilstein sports with the H&R kit and also shock mounts. To my surprise noise still exist!! Wasn't my mounts or any of the above so now I'm gonna change links and also sway bar bushings see what happens then.... Hopefully all good
It should take care of the problem. Fingers crossed. My car was at the dealership about every month leading up to my original warranty running out. I wanted my car to feel like a 100k car not some POS. Everything is great for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #24
Joyaant911
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 x5

So after much money spent and much hard work installing.. Noise still exist sounds like something metal loose on the right side although my friend says he sees no play in anything. I've changed shocks and mounts with new bilsteins and also installed hr springs. I changed front links still noise is louder than ever.. Everytime I hit a bump it's a metal trembling noise..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #25
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp

Had my sway bar links replaced under warranty a few weeks ago and that took care of my clunky trembling sound I was having... SA said the links on these vehicles are way too small for the size and weight of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #26
Joyaant911
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JX5M View Post
Had my sway bar links replaced under warranty a few weeks ago and that took care of my clunky trembling sound I was having... SA said the links on these vehicles are way too small for the size and weight of the vehicle.
Changed those still have issues with noise on right side.. BS is pissing me off cuz I wanna install my wheels but don't wanna do so until noise is repaired
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 01:22 PM   #27
ncraig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R35

still under warranty?
i used to have very similar noise last year, went to multiple dealers and nobody bother to take a close look it, finally took NickAlex an entire week to get it solve, one thing I remember is that they used chassis ear to detect the exact location of the noise and replaced all necessary components
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #28
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M - sometimes

Still have the same noise also...clunk when turning out of or into the driveway, and steering has a very slight vibration at certain speeds, almost unnoticeable but its there. I will also get a clunk sound when slowing down, but only very intermittently...maybe once every 10 times I drive it.

This is what the dealer has done so far:

- sway bar end links
- tie rods, inner and outer
- control arm
- tension strut

Clunk still exists! Now they say they have no idea what's causing it and want to keep the vehicle until they figure it out...so I get to drive this $hi77y 320 loaner.

Anyone have a clue what it might be?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #29
windsailor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M Black Saphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroboot View Post
Still have the same noise also...clunk when turning out of or into the driveway, and steering has a very slight vibration at certain speeds, almost unnoticeable but its there. I will also get a clunk sound when slowing down, but only very intermittently...maybe once every 10 times I drive it.

- sway bar end links
- control arm
- tension strut

Clunk still exists! Now they say they have no idea what's causing it and want to keep the vehicle until they figure it out...so I get to drive this $hi77y 320 loaner.

At least you've got a loaner, nowadays they want to give you a rental and not covering the whole cost! pffff
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #30
ncraig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R35

Quote:

- sway bar end links
- control arm
- tension strut

Let me type down what they did which fixed my similar noise:

A CUSTOMER STATES WHILE DRIVING HE HEARS A CLUNKING NOISE COMING FROM FRONT SUSPENSION, VERIFIED BY SHOP FOREMAN
5100 BODY EQUIPMENT
707 WPX
1 37-11-6-857-627 SWING SUPPORT, FRONT,
LEFT:313535
1 37-11-6-857-628 SWING SUPPORT, FRONT,
RIGHT:313535

41371 BOTH FRONT LEFT AND RIGHT SWAY BAR LINKS ROAD TESTED VEHICLE WAS ABLE TO REPRODUCE CUST COMPLAINT. CONNECTED BATTERY CHARGED PERFORMED SHORT TEST NO FAULTS STORED. INSPECTED UNDER CARRIAGE OF VEHICLE NO DAMAGE FOUND. RE LOOSENED AND TORQUED ALL SUSPENSION BLOTS, BOTH STRUT NUTS AND ENGINE MOTOR MOUNTS WERE RETORQUED ROAD TESTED VEHICLE NOISE STILL PRESENT. CONNECTED CHASSIS EARS TO PIN POINT NOISE. FOUND NOISE TO ORIGINATE AROUND SWAY BAR AREA. MEASURED SWAY BAR AND COMPARE TO NEW BAR MEASUREMENTS WERE THE SAME AND BUSHINGS WERE OKAY. REMOVED SWAY BAR LINKS FOUND LINKS TO BE VERY LOOSE REPLACED LINKS AND TEST DROVE VEHICLE NOISE WAS ELIMINATED FOUND LINKS TO BE MALFUNCTIONING. ROAD TESTED WITH SHOP FOREMEN LL SYSTEM OK.

BULK HEAD BRITTLE AND FALLING APART DURING REPAIRS FOUND BULK HEAD BRITTLE AND FALLING APART. REPLACED MAIN BULK HEAD ATTACHED TO FIRE WALL, WIPER ASSEMBLY WAS REMOVED TO ACCESS THE BULK HEAD. THE REMAINING BULK HEAD WERE NOT REPLACED DUE TO PART ON BACK ORDER.

A CUSTOMER STATES FRONT END SUSPENSION MAKING NOISE (SOP IN STOCK)

5100 Body Equipment
717 WPX 0.00
1 51-71-7-169-420 PARTITION, ENGINE
COMPARTMENT: 517187
1 51-71-7-169-419 BULKHEAD ENGINE
COMPARTMENT:517187

43651 BRIDDLE REPLACED ENGINE COVER, RIGHT AND LEFT SIDE. ROAD TEST VEHICLE AFTER REPAIRS, NOISE NO LONGER PRESENT AT THIS TIME.

hope it helps
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #31
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep

Looks like your problem was the stabilizer (sway bar) links. That is not my problem, since that was the first thing they replaced, and the noise did not go away.

I'm starting to think maybe its the strut mounts or engine mounts...there is some kinda weird vibration, it is very subtle, not like an alignment or balance issue, but when I get the RPMs up. When I am at highway speeds or constant speeds, it seems to be almost imperceptible or totally gone.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #32
molloy
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35d

Is there any issues asking dealer about clunking when if you have H&R's installed? I get a clunking noise over bumps and taking left turns. It's rare, but maybe once or twice a week.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #33
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by molloy
Is there any issues asking dealer about clunking when if you have H&R's installed? I get a clunking noise over bumps and taking left turns. It's rare, but maybe once or twice a week.
No most likely it's sway bar links going bad.... I have H&R dealer says nothing. If the links go bad they go nothing you can do either way. Dealer already admitted links are way too small for our vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #34
molloy
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JX5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by molloy
No most likely it's sway bar links going bad.... I have H&R dealer says nothing. If the links go bad they go nothing you can do either way. Dealer already admitted links are way too small for our vehicle.
Thanks, I'll bring it up next trip to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #35
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by molloy View Post
Thanks, I'll bring it up next trip to the dealer.
My intermittent clunking when turning and going over bumps (maybe hearing it once or twice a day) ended up being the steering rack. Its on order, coming from DE. This was after they replaced almost everything suspension related only to find the clunk was still there.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #36
serge1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Garage List
2011 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
Quote:
My intermittent clunking when turning and going over bumps (maybe hearing it once or twice a day) ended up being the steering rack. Its on order, coming from DE.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Steering rack hasn't been installed yet. The clunk may still be there!

In my experience, clunking is usually associated with CV joints..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 11:52 PM   #37
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep

Clunk may be the wrong word, it's more like a click. Anyway, whatever, they confirmed the steering rack is binding so it needs to go too. I am confident they got it right because I had them check all other mounts, joints, and suspension parts to be safe since I've been back for the same issue 4 times. Btw, if anyone is thinking about buying a steering rack, they are 4g.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #38
zoex5m
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m

Quote:
Clunk may be the wrong word, it's more like a click. Anyway, whatever, they confirmed the steering rack is binding so it needs to go too. I am confident they got it right because I had them check all other mounts, joints, and suspension parts to be safe since I've been back for the same issue 4 times. Btw, if anyone is thinking about buying a steering rack, they are 4g.
Still under warranty I assume? Is your car lowered? I would hate for the dealership deny warranty on this since my car is lowered.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #39
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

I'm going in for front end rattle/clunk and likely for injectors next week. I'll let you guys know how it goes for me too.

:crossesfingers:
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #40
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep

Zoex5m,
Yeah it's warranty work. It's not lowered though.
I guess, depending on what aftermarket changes you've made it's up to the service dept if they will cover it under warranty. I've been able to build up a decent relationship with my local Bmw over the years, so they tend to be more willing/interested in taking care of things.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #41
zeroboot
Private
Canada
Rep

So dealer replaced the steering rack and the noise is gone...but now my steering is a mess! I have to tilt the steering to the left about 15 degrees to go straight, and it feels like I need to turn the wheel about twice as far as I used to to get the same amount of turn from the vehicle! Anyone know what needs to be adjusted to fix this? They did an alignment after the steering rack was changed, but it's obviously out. But what about this lack of responsiveness in the steering response issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #42
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Not so much a noise, I was getting a slight clunk when braking.

Both thruster arm bushings were replaced under warranty and it's back to normal.
      12-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #43
xpl0sive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

I replaced my sway bar end links, fixed one clunk but now another clunk became more obvious. Now it sounds like my shock on the driver side front is gone. Could it be the shock mount? anyone have any recommendations for replacement shocks and/or shock mounts? My car is a 2008 4.8i, 120k kms on it (75k miles)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 10:33 PM   #44
GregWX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 ///M

Took my 2010 X5M (CPO and Extended Maintenance) with 45,000 miles in for oil change and spark plugs. Complained about the "Clunk when going over speed bumps". Dealer diagnosed that my Thrust Rod Arm Bushing are leaking....quoted $635.00 to replace!

Anyone have luck getting this replaced under CPO or Ext Maint? They also want $305 to adjust the clunking rear hatch? any suggestions? Should that adjustment be covered by CPO?
Appreciate 0