XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
ums81
Private
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring

Moving on from X5

The CPO on my 2011 E70 will run out in December. I have about 77k miles on it but don't want to own it without some type of warranty.

I never thought i would say this but i'm seriously considering moving on to the Volvo XC90 R Design rather than a new X5 or even a Q7.

http://gtspirit.com/2015/01/13/detroit-2015-volvo-xc90/

Anyone ever driven one of these?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ums81
The CPO on my 2011 E70 will run out in December. I have about 77k miles on it but don't want to own it without some type of warranty.

I never thought i would say this but i'm seriously considering moving on to the Volvo XC90 R Design rather than a new X5 or even a Q7.

Not sure if it's true or not but the rumors are saying the new X5 will be a completely new platform utilizing new carbon fiber tech and a completely reimagined frame and body.

Seems their skipping the mid life cycle for the f15 model in favor of their new "CLAR" platform.

Or something to that effect.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ums81 View Post

I don't know about the new Volvo XC90, but I recently bought a 2009 XC90 R-Design (with the Yamaha V8 engine) and I find myself enjoying that car more than I do my 2012 X5 50i.

In the mean time, check out the Volvo forums on the XC90 - http://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdi...C90-(SPA-2016-)

09-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
That's great news and is the reason why I buy used Bmws. Someone initially pays $60k, uses it for three years, and then dumps it because they are scared of BMW repair bills. This is where I swoop in and buy it for 1/2 price. So yes, get rid of it, BMWs are very expensive to repair.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor
Quote:
That's great news and is the reason why I buy used Bmws. Someone initially pays $60k, uses it for three years, and then dumps it because they are scared of BMW repair bills. This is where I swoop in and buy it for 1/2 price. So yes, get rid of it, BMWs are very expensive to repair.
Totally !!! Got a 2012 for under 20k, fully loaded was almost 70k new with 3rd row, not afraid to get my hands dirty,

It's amazing the money you save doing the work yourself and that they don't need any more repair work than most other cars.

The biggest issue was my transfer case starting to fail and after getting a quote from the dealer for almost 6k looked around and got a rebuilt one with a 3 year warranty and installed it myself in an afternoon, paid 1k for the whole thing shipped to my door.

It pays to know how to wrench on your car. But it's not for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
BrunoT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F-150

Quote:

We've owned two Volvos including one now (S60 R design) and we like Volvo. We test drove the R design XC90 after noticing that the Momentum seats were too flat and unsupportive. The R design seats are fantastic, and include the thigh extenders that make them just about perfect.

On the drive I felt it had adequate power, about like the E70 X5 35i, but a grainier engine note from the 4 cylinder. Handling was secure but not as sharp as an X5 with the sport suspension. It is a little bigger and may feel it. It's secure and confident but not sporty. Even wih 22" wheels the ride was really good, and they looked great.

My disappointments were that for such a large vehicle there isn't much storage space up front for things, and the side console was smaller. I also did not like the way you have to switch into sport mode and back. I like just flipping a shifter sideways. This requires you to rotate a knob and push and look at the screen to confirm you got it right. I also prefer more knobs for controls. Finally, the vehicles actually on the lots were either stripped with 18" wheels or pretty loaded. The cheapest R design we could find was about $60,000. Not bad compared to a BMW, but about $5,000 of that was stuff I had no use for. We purchase, and usually at resale time that counts for little. The prospect of getting one with the trim line, exterior color, interior color, and options we actually wanted would be just about nil. This is a common Volvo problem, as they have so few vehicles available, and they do NOT like to order vehicles, and it takes much much longer to get one ordered and delivered than BMW's, which are built just right up the road from us. I read some reports indicating that XC90 residuals were lower than hoped for, also. Our previous Volvos have not had good resale value.

Ultimately it came down to the fact that we'd have to spend $60K on a Volvo and we found a really clean low mile CPO 2013 X5 35i SAV with 20" wheels, convenience package, and cold weather package for $37K. We don't pile miles on, so we went used. We'll have some form of warranty for 3 more years, just one less than the new XC90.

Vs a non-sport X5, I'd pick the Volvo. But I prefer the better handling of the SAV version to the better ride of the Volvo. You can't carve corners in the Volvo.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
BrunoT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
I don't know about the new Volvo XC90, but I recently bought a 2009 XC90 R-Design (with the Yamaha V8 engine) and I find myself enjoying that car more than I do my 2012 X5 50i.

In the mean time, check out the Volvo forums on the XC90 - http://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdi...C90-(SPA-2016-)

I never understood why Volvo quit selling that version of the XC90 w/o a decent engine. The 3.2 was a pig. Great sized vehicle with superb comfort. V8's are super rare.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #8
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Bruno - Top Notch Info!

I sat in one of the new XC90 at the auto show, not sure if it was Type R but I doubt it.
From the side view - looks a lot like the current X5 (a little squarer than my e70).
Exterior - nice, very classy, very good fit/finish and panel fitment
Interior - again, classy, modern modern modern is all I can recall

But you wanted driving impressions so Bruno nailed it.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2016, 09:11 PM   #9
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

The prospect of having yet another DTM (Drivetrain Malfunction) caused me to sell my 2012 X5 50i and enjoy my XC90 R-Design ...
      08-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
BrunoT
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I like our E70 X5 SAV 35i but the wife isn't so hot on it. Little things like the learning curve for button placement and idrive bother her. So I looked at what ours is worth just a year later and was pretty shocked to see that the resale value is only about $26,000, plus whatever 2 more years of CPO warranty are worth.

2013 X5 SAV with 20" wheels, white/black, no dents, no scratches, just a couple of tiny rock chips in front, pristine inside, (prev used by the finance manager, a woman with no kids) 41,000 miles, cold weather and convenience packages. We paid $37,000, plus I added a tow hitch and wiring myself. It's a tough thing to know it dropped $11,000 in a year with just 6,000 additional miles put on it.

What's most surprising is that I watched the market for 6 months before buying, they had been priced over $40-42K and then took a slide to $37K for a nice example so I snapped it up.

Are X5 buyers so trend concious that nobody wants a prev gen version? Other than overly heavy steering it does great. Even the sport seats don't match our Volvo for comfort but then nothing really does.

I'm probably going to ride this baby into old age, as I hate getting burned on resale like this and at some point it will stop depreciating as it will always be a low mileage vehicle. Great for trips with the dogs in back, handles high speeds like a champ.

Maybe this sort of crossover is now out of style? (heavier than newer designs)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:21 PM   #11
1Bad540
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Many Bmws

with the new body out and in the 30's, previous in always cheaper. 26k seems about right. I picked up mine last year w super low miles too, watched the mkt also and they were def all in the 30's.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #12
windsailor
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M Black Saphire

Nice comparison, I drove the 2013 xc60 R and enjoyed everything on it but the power and stability. Ended up with an X5M 2013 which I love and plan to keep for many more years acknowledging the resale hit.
Running on second to last year of CPO but, can't find a better car for the money and repairs can be handled with care and a bit of luck that will pay back on a twisted road behind 600 hp.

Last edited by windsailor; 08-14-2017 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #13
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

As a former VCUSA employee, I enjoyed the new XC90 after an opportunity to drive it for an extended period of time. I drove an Inscription, not an r-design, but it was a nice drive. Not as sporty as the X5, but roomy and capable of providing some enjoyment.

My next company lease was going to be an XC90 T6 Momentum Plus with Polestar Tuning and I considered one as a my replacement after leaving the company; but I couldn't afford it and ended with my X5. You might have some getting used to Sensus from iDrive, and the performance delivery isn't the same as the X5, but it's a better alternative than the Q7.

I feel like every day is the Kobayashi Maru and my name's not James T. Kirk
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #14
jersey john
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
I never understood why Volvo quit selling that version of the XC90 w/o a decent engine. The 3.2 was a pig. Great sized vehicle with superb comfort. V8's are super rare.

I couldn't understand why they didn't drop the 3.0T engine when they phased out the Yamaha V* (which is a BEAST). The 3.0T uses the same block and transmission; and has a torque limiter on the first 2 gears to save the tranny, and would've been a more economical alternative to the V8 and extend the practicality and marketability of the model until the end of its useful lie.

I suspect that after the debacle they had with the previous T6 engine they didn't want to expose themselves to the same problems again.

I feel like every day is the Kobayashi Maru and my name's not James T. Kirk
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 04:28 PM   #15
ums81
Private
Rep

I ended up leasing an Escalade in February and have put about 8k miles on it. Love everything about it, don't think i'll ever go back to an X5, unless it's an X5M.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #16
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
I ended up leasing an Escalade in February and have put about 8k miles on it. Love everything about it, don't think i'll ever go back to an X5, unless it's an X5M.
That thing looks massive! The third row must have loads of room. How is the handling though?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #17
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
I like our E70 X5 SAV 35i but the wife isn't so hot on it. Little things like the learning curve for button placement and idrive bother her. So I looked at what ours is worth just a year later and was pretty shocked to see that the resale value is only about $26,000, plus whatever 2 more years of CPO warranty are worth.

2013 X5 SAV with 20" wheels, white/black, no dents, no scratches, just a couple of tiny rock chips in front, pristine inside, (prev used by the finance manager, a woman with no kids) 41,000 miles, cold weather and convenience packages. We paid $37,000, plus I added a tow hitch and wiring myself. It's a tough thing to know it dropped $11,000 in a year with just 6,000 additional miles put on it.

What's most surprising is that I watched the market for 6 months before buying, they had been priced over $40-42K and then took a slide to $37K for a nice example so I snapped it up.

Are X5 buyers so trend concious that nobody wants a prev gen version? Other than overly heavy steering it does great. Even the sport seats don't match our Volvo for comfort but then nothing really does.

I'm probably going to ride this baby into old age, as I hate getting burned on resale like this and at some point it will stop depreciating as it will always be a low mileage vehicle. Great for trips with the dogs in back, handles high speeds like a champ.

Maybe this sort of crossover is now out of style? (heavier than newer designs)

Big issue with the resale is the recalls (safety airbags) and no immediate resolution. Was at the dealer last week (getting the fuel pump recall done) and was looking at dumping the x5m for an M4 and the dealer would not take the trade in due to not being able to resell the car till the recall(s) were done. They estimated the airbags being done mid next year for my car.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #18
Whiplash_89
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Not sure if it's true or not but the rumors are saying the new X5 will be a completely new platform utilizing new carbon fiber tech and a completely reimagined frame and body.

Seems their skipping the mid life cycle for the f15 model in favor of their new "CLAR" platform.

Or something to that effect.
My company is in the process of designing the assembly line for the lower engine cradle for the X5. Well the design is actually complete, but the assembly is still taking place.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #19
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

I like the Volvo's they seem cool. I may throw one in the running whenever my wife decides shes tired of her jeep. Her commute is only 4 miles, and we take my X everywhere we go, so the jeep should last a good long time.
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #20
ums81
Private
Rep

Quote:
I think the handling is pretty good for a truck of this size, definitely not as good as the X5. For me the cargo capacity and the 3rd row were the main things. I just didn't want to compromise on that and constantly flip the 3rd row up and down.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #21
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

I did not know that the XC90s were big enough for a 3rd row. That may be why its a bit less roomier on other rows then the BMW. They don't look physically that big, but I have never taken a hard look at one.
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0