XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3|F15 X5 50i

PPI completed - 'noticable corrosion'

After many months of searching I thought I'd finally found the right one, or at least close.

2011 X5 50i for sale here in the Seattle area - I ran a Carfax and Autocheck and both came back clean, but it's a NJ vehicle so I was concerned with corrosion. I decided to have a PPI done at a reputable BMW Indy shop in the Seattle area. Overall it checked out pretty good, but here's some notable comments:

-puddle of water in battery tray (think I may have seen some threads on this?)
-unable to properly test battery due to system noise (they indicated when too many electronics are running it becomes challenging to test the battery? The navigation unit is completely inoperable, which they thought might be the cause. The nav. doesn't bother me as it's under warranty so I'd just bring it to the dealer)
-noticeable amount of corrosion on underbody

Some other minor stuff came up, but is easily correctable and not really worth mentioning.

Obviously there are lots of members here from the NE - any input or thoughts on corrosion? Pretty standard for all cars in that area of the country?

My thoughts right now are 'pass' ?? What would you do?

Last edited by jiggz; 03-04-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Possible it was a post "Sandy" storm damaged vehicle that someone unloaded? Vehicles these days tend not to corrode.
      03-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceballs View Post
Possible it was a post "Sandy" storm damaged vehicle that someone unloaded? Vehicles these days tend not to corrode.
Thanks for your reply. It was a leased vehicle and appears to have been turned in almost exactly 3 years from it's in-service date. So I don't think anybody was unloading it for any reason other than the lease expiring.

Interesting information on corrosion though - so that's not typically an issue in the NE? If not, saltwater (Sandy) could be the culprit. Carfax and Autocheck were clean, but I know those don't always tell the entire story.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Did you see the 2011 X5 50i (Alpine White) M Sport for sale at Chaplins VW Subaru? I checked the Carfax and it's CPO from BMW! Only 33K miles and no accidents.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Did you see the 2011 X5 50i (Alpine White) M Sport for sale at Chaplins VW Subaru? I checked the Carfax and it's CPO from BMW! Only 33K miles and no accidents.
Thanks...yes I've seen that one posted - it's been listed for awhile.

As useless as they might be, I need the 3rd row seats - that option alone is the reason behind such a long search. And I know this will sound crazy to many of you, but I actually don't want the M Sport Package. I like the M wheel/paddles, etc., but I prefer the 20" style 336 wheels, black body accents, and I like the running boards.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
Thanks...yes I've seen that one posted - it's been listed for awhile.

As useless as they might be, I need the 3rd row seats - that option alone is the reason behind such a long search. And I know this will sound crazy to many of you, but I actually don't want the M Sport Package. I like the M wheel/paddles, etc., but I prefer the 20" style 336 wheels, black body accents, and I like the running boards.
Shoot us a link to then one you're looking at then...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #7
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Shoot us a link to then one you're looking at then...
Was looking at this one. I'm looking for basically this exact vehicle, but preferrably Alpine White -
http://www.definitivem.com/2011-BMW-...-98004/4938861

Requirements:
2011 or 2012 50i w/ <40K miles
Alpine White over Black or Cinnamon (no Sand, Tobacco, or Oyster)
Sport w/ upgraded 20" wheels (style 336)
Premium
Tech
Heated seats (would prefer the full CWP for the heated steering wheel)
Premium Sound
3rd row

Other stuff would just be bonus. I'm aware of the one at BMW of Fairfax VA but it doesn't seem like the greatest deal considering the price (46K) and mileage (almost 43K) and it would cost me another $1000 or so to ship it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
DFR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR/X5d w/Adaptive Drive

If I was you, I would run as far away as possible from Definitive Motors. Your gut feeling is right, pass.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFR View Post
If I was you, I would run as far away as possible from Definitive Motors. Your gut feeling is right, pass.
I've driven by there quite a few times (when on my way to Whole Foods) and likely would not purchase a car from a place like that either. All the cars are packed on a small forecourt, and although they sell some good looking motors, would rather just wait until the right one popped up elsewhere...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've driven by there quite a few times (when on my way to Whole Foods) and likely would not purchase a car from a place like that either. All the cars are packed on a small forecourt, and although they sell some good looking motors, would rather just wait until the right one popped up elsewhere...
I normally wouldn't either but they, along with Elliott Bay Auto Brokers, have the biggest selection of used X5's in the area...by far. Both are wholesale brokers who get their inventory through auction so yes the cars they sell have diverse backgrounds. That is why I had a PPI done. Had it come back clean then this thread and talk of Definitive wouldn't be happening.

Not that I want to pay dealer prices, but the 3 BMW dealers in the Seattle area have no real inventory of used X5's to even choose from. Maybe 2 or 3 each, at the most, some of which are older pre-LCI which I'm not looking for. Portland isn't that far but again only a couple of dealers down there with a very limited selection. And there are just no private party X5 ads for 2011/2012 models.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #11
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I normally wouldn't either but they, along with Elliott Bay Auto Brokers, have the biggest selection of used X5's in the area...by far. Both are wholesale brokers who get their inventory through auction so yes the cars they sell have diverse backgrounds. That is why I had a PPI done. Had it come back clean then this thread and talk of Definitive wouldn't be happening.

Not that I want to pay dealer prices, but the 3 BMW dealers in the Seattle area have no real inventory of used X5's to even choose from. Maybe 2 or 3 each, at the most, some of which are older pre-LCI which I'm not looking for. Portland isn't that far but again only a couple of dealers down there with a very limited selection. And there are just no private party X5 ads for 2011/2012 models.
Although perhaps a bit more hassle, have you thought about going beyond just Seattle and Portland? Look in California, etc. Finding the right X5 along with the right price, and it's worth a one-way ticket along with a potential road trip in your new vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:15 PM   #12
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Although perhaps a bit more hassle, have you thought about going beyond just Seattle and Portland? Look in California, etc. Finding the right X5 along with the right price, and it's worth a one-way ticket along with a potential road trip in your new vehicle.
Yes, willing to buy out of CA, either flying down and driving it back, or having it shipped.

I'm working w/ an auto broker and he just found a vehicle that meets my specs but it's from New York. I have no way of having a PPI done on it and after the corroded one yesterday from New Jersey, I don't see how I can pursue this with much confidence
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #13
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes, willing to buy out of CA, either flying down and driving it back, or having it shipped.

I'm working w/ an auto broker and he just found a vehicle that meets my specs but it's from New York. I have no way of having a PPI done on it and after the corroded one yesterday from New Jersey, I don't see how I can pursue this with much confidence
I'd stick to vehicles that come from warmer states. You'd at least want to check the vehicle out in person. My friend bought an Audi Q5 sight unseen and although mechanically fine, cosmetically it left much to be desired.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #14
BMW603
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

I'd be curious to see pictures of the noticeable corrosion
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #15
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdewd View Post
I'd be curious to see pictures of the noticeable corrosion
Wish I had some too - the PPI didn't come with pictures but it's a shop I trust 100%. Very reputable and I've taken my 3 series there before.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #16
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

I just bought my wife a 2012 X5 35ix with m-sport package from Elliott bay Autobrokers.

My wife and I are from SoCal, and I spend a lot of time in NorCal for work. We considered buying from another state, and either driving in, or freight truck. It just didn't work out for a number of reasons. We had to know what we wanted, without some sort of in-person inspection, pictures weren't enough. We didn't want to make repeated trips to CA to find the right vehicle, etc.

Elliott's had about 20 X5's as of a couple weeks ago. Ours was a lease return from Irvine/Tustin area. They are all priced below KBB/Nada. There is no negotiation. But they were fantastic to deal with.

I then used other forum postings to find and add a BMW Gold coverage for it from Passport BMW using Jeff Steel. Super happy with him and his level of service. BMW of Seattle wouldn't even touch Jeff's price, wanting to charge me MSRP, and not budging.

That said, you still have to pay a "use-Tax," which is equal to state sales tax in Seattle. So might as well look local if you can. Flights and transport fees pretty much eliminated any savings we would have gotten buying out of state.

Looking forward to an ESS tune, and the factory tires wearing out to replace with a more comfortable tire without run-flats.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #17
jiggz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
I just bought my wife a 2012 X5 35ix with m-sport package from Elliott bay Autobrokers.

My wife and I are from SoCal, and I spend a lot of time in NorCal for work. We considered buying from another state, and either driving in, or freight truck. It just didn't work out for a number of reasons. We had to know what we wanted, without some sort of in-person inspection, pictures weren't enough. We didn't want to make repeated trips to CA to find the right vehicle, etc.

Elliott's had about 20 X5's as of a couple weeks ago. Ours was a lease return from Irvine/Tustin area. They are all priced below KBB/Nada. There is no negotiation. But they were fantastic to deal with.

I then used other forum postings to find and add a BMW Gold coverage for it from Passport BMW using Jeff Steel. Super happy with him and his level of service. BMW of Seattle wouldn't even touch Jeff's price, wanting to charge me MSRP, and not budging.

That said, you still have to pay a "use-Tax," which is equal to state sales tax in Seattle. So might as well look local if you can. Flights and transport fees pretty much eliminated any savings we would have gotten buying out of state.

Looking forward to an ESS tune, and the factory tires wearing out to replace with a more comfortable tire without run-flats.
Sounds like a nice purchase. Elliott Bay has the biggest selection of X5's in the state of WA - we test drove 1 there last year and they seemed like good guys. I would buy from them if they had the right configuration, but would still have a PPI done.

A friend of mine was looking at an E46 M3 convertible they had for sale - after running Autocheck on it, it had been registered in 5 states and had an accident/frame damage entry that occurred in NY. So while they have some nice vehicles, they have some sketchy ones too.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #18
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Minus any accidents reported on carfax that you'll find there, we were able to go back for a couple of missing items, and they had no reason to help us since all cars there are "as-is." There was a different white with cinnamon brown interior, that looked amazing. But it had some accident damage in a previous life. No frame, or airbag damage. But enough where my wife said she wanted an accident free car, even if it cost more.

But they took care of us for a floor mat issue, missing rear cargo cover, and a missing plug. We did notice the trunk floor handle broken, and will see if they'll swap out handles for us. Or I make a new retaining bracket, or buy the $35 BMW part...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:56 AM   #19
DFR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR/X5d w/Adaptive Drive

There is another BMW dealer you can purchase from in WA. BMW of Tri-Cities. That's where I got my X5 diesel CPO for a great deal.
Appreciate 0