XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #45
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
What does the 3.0D perform like?. I thought it would be under powered.
Several days ago,i was driven in 30d and i must say that is a great engine..we will not miss anything if we ordered 30d instead 35d...however i am glad that i oredered 35d!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #46
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deda View Post
Several days ago,i was driven in 30d and i must say that is a great engine..we will not miss anything if we ordered 30d instead 35d...however i am glad that i oredered 35d!
You are going to find a lot of extra power in the 35D, I drove the 3.0D today, well short of grunt until 60 MPH+ and then it was lacking. With the P-Tronic the 35D leaves it for dead.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #47
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Talking

OK a Problem sorted straight away, I noticed one of my front Disks was scored on the outer 1" of the nearside disk, I reported this to the dealership, they in tern asked to examine the car, today they replaced both front disks and Pads free.
I have now covered 1000 Miles and I am driving it a bit harder and still maintaining 32+ MPG, I saw 34MPG today for a long period.
It flys round the bends now I am confident in the handling.
Car is now as before exellent.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #48
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

well,thats good news!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2008, 06:32 PM   #49
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
When test drove the X6, the rear view camera worked right away with no delay.

Are you guys with the current X6's still having problems?

- KJ
I guess it's how you define delay. I unlock car, get in , start it, put in reverse and have to wait for camera to come on. If I have been driving the car then camera works right away.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 02:57 AM   #50
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I guess it's how you define delay. I unlock car, get in , start it, put in reverse and have to wait for camera to come on. If I have been driving the car then camera works right away.
My RVC comes on almost instantly too!!, Maybe you need asoftware update?.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 04:16 AM   #51
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

Yes i have heard about that..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #52
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Interesting. The camera and sensors on my 35i are almost instantaneous even from 'cold'. If I start her up and immediately select reverse the sensors kick in straight away and the camera comes on 'over the top' of the awful "Accept the danger of using this system" message within a couple of seconds. Must be different software versions as I also have Navi and Premium sound.

Cheers, Anteater.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #53
Sammydtd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6 50

On my second battery on my x6 50 and it's drained already...

After having left itb a whole week undriven or unstarted...can anyone else shed more light on this whole electrical leaking software update? I know Rockmed has done it, but has anyone else experienced it? Other than that, the camera startup is a little slow, but nothing to complain about. I do hear high pitched noises coming from the speakers when I'm using the ipod adapter, I'm assuming this is the ipod hdd whir being amplified?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #54
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Interesting. The camera and sensors on my 35i are almost instantaneous even from 'cold'. If I start her up and immediately select reverse the sensors kick in straight away and the camera comes on 'over the top' of the awful "Accept the danger of using this system" message within a couple of seconds. Must be different software versions as I also have Navi and Premium sound.

Cheers, Anteater.
More than likely it is how you approach your vehicle. The iDrive with full options takes 28 seconds to boot. And then another 30-60 seconds for voice activation and bluetooth to sync the phone.

So there are a couple scenarios that would explain this.

1. If the person has comfort access, touches the door handle to unlock the vehicle, gets in and starts the engine within a few seconds, they get to wait 25 seconds or more for the iDrive to boot and camera to display.

2. If on the other hand, you use the key fob and unlock the car from afar, say 50ft, as soon as the door(s), rear hatch, etc. unlocks the computer starts booting. So by the time you get in and start the engine, most of the boot process is complete.

Depending on where I am parked, if I think I will need the camera to assist in backing up, I use the fob to get the boot process started sooner so I don't have to wait.

BMW can improve the camera by causing it to be first in the boot process before Navigation rather than after.

Last edited by chuck92103; 10-11-2008 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #55
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep

good point.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #56
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
More than likely it is how you approach your vehicle. The iDrive with full options takes 28 seconds to boot. And then another 30-60 seconds for voice activation and bluetooth to sync the phone.

So there are a couple scenarios that would explain this.

1. If the person has comfort access, touches the door handle to unlock the vehicle, gets in and starts the engine within a few seconds, they get to wait 25 seconds or more for the iDrive to boot and camera to display.

2. If on the other hand, you use the key fob and unlock the car from afar, say 50ft, as soon as the door(s), rear hatch, etc. unlocks the computer starts booting. So by the time you get in and start the engine, most of the boot process is complete.

Depending on where I am parked, if I think I will need the camera to assist in backing up, I use the fob to get the boot process started sooner so I don't have to wait.

BMW can improve the camera by causing it to be first in the boot process before Navigation rather than after.
Hmmmm. Well I normally don't have the car locked in the garage - so only touch the key fob after I've opened the door and jumped in to push it into the keyslot. My Bluetooth Blackberry is already synched by the time I'm clear of the garage doors. I'll try and remember to time it next time I'm opening the door from locked as well - I don't have comfort access. I'm pretty sure that it does not take 28 seconds to boot however, and I have all the other options except HUD and auto-close doors.

Will advise post-test!

Cheers, Anteater.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #57
kinan_sleiman2006
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

no problems my friend, sleep well
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 05:39 AM   #58
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmed View Post
So far so good on the V8 (May 08 Production batch, I believe the first in the world). There was some computer upgrade to fix an electric power drop issue. I never noticed the problem in the first place but the dealer called me and said to bring it in for the upgrade.

I think since you are getting a later batch production, I am sure you will have zero issues.

Relax and wait for your baby to arrive
Rock med;
Can you describe the repair code for the upgrade, i've xperience the pwr drop problem, but my dealer so far just thinks i.m not driving enuf.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 05:42 AM   #59
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmed View Post
So far so good on the V8 (May 08 Production batch, I believe the first in the world). There was some computer upgrade to fix an electric power drop issue. I never noticed the problem in the first place but the dealer called me and said to bring it in for the upgrade.

I think since you are getting a later batch production, I am sure you will have zero issues.

Relax and wait for your baby to arrive
Rock med: what's the repair code on that computer upgrade?
Thanx.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 12:28 AM   #60
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

sunglasses holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonely_dxb83 View Post
looooool
Thee is a small slot on the driver side of the glove bax.
I don't know if it's meant for spare key fob or small sunglasses(without its case). give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 01:32 AM   #61
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
I have 4000 kms on it, no issues here , remember mine is a June 2008 production with the 3.0d engine which means that the engine is not so new since is the engine used on the X5, also the platform of the car comes from the X5, do the really new thing on the X6 is the body shape and the Xdrive system which works incredibly good....so far so good
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 02:34 AM   #62
Sammydtd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6 50

I've had the power problem issue on my 50i, which was one of the first batch (considering I picked it up a few months ago in the Middle East)

I'm still waiting to hear anything regarding the official recall from the board or the dealer, but I got it fixed in a different way.

The dealer found the rear climate control unit to be hoggin up electricity even when the car was off, so he replaced a part back there.

I've yet to not drive the car for more than a day and see if the clock resets, so I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #63
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

HUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
I love the HUD and use it all the time, much better than looking at the speedo, and safer.
I wish they put more info on it e.g.entertainment/navigation setup menus. & let us program what we want to display. I hate glancing down @ the screen on the dash now. (maybe they don't want too much on to obscure the road ahead? )
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2008, 04:46 PM   #64
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Power problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammydtd View Post
I've had the power problem issue on my 50i, which was one of the first batch (considering I picked it up a few months ago in the Middle East)

I'm still waiting to hear anything regarding the official recall from the board or the dealer, but I got it fixed in a different way.

The dealer found the rear climate control unit to be hoggin up electricity even when the car was off, so he replaced a part back there.

I've yet to not drive the car for more than a day and see if the clock resets, so I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers,

Yes. I've posted elsewhere about the same problem. so far they've only asked me to plug the charger on or drive longer. I say i didn't buy an electric car! I'll have to talk to the regional service representative to get anywhere. These guys are a bunch of bureaucrats. Unless the system starts a fire, & they get a class action suit on their desks, they do nothing because they've got our $$ already!
Mad as hell when i think about it. Almost bought Acura Sh-awd last year (similar to dpc). If Lexus comes out w/ their version of dpc, I'd switch brands!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 12:37 AM   #65
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep

Slow booting Rearview cam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
KJ, when you test drove the X6 and tried the backup camera, was the car running already or did you just start it and put the car in reverse right away?

The problem with the backup camera (or even just PDC for that matter) really only is an issue right after you start the car. NOT when you have been running the engine for a while already!

The Nav computer has to 'boot up' first before you can use it. This can take up to 30 seconds or so. In this time it boots the OS, and tries to initialize the DVD drive as well as communicate with everything else in the car to do a quick diagnostics check. During this time, it simply ignores any other 'user' inputs/requests (e.g. steering wheel buttons, reverse gear selection to enable PDC and/or reversing camera, etc...).

Out of personal experience, I have found that the DVD drive seems to add the longest delay. By removing the Navigation DVD from the drive, it boots up a lot faster and is by far more responsive. However, that said, I do NOT remove the Navigation DVD from the drive. I only did this for test purposes to see if it would help and it did.
xDrive50i;
do u mean that u just disengage the nav dvd by pushing the eject button on the dash but leave the disc partly sticking out?? & u get faster response on the rrview cam?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 12:04 PM   #66
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
xDrive50i;
do u mean that u just disengage the nav dvd by pushing the eject button on the dash but leave the disc partly sticking out?? & u get faster response on the rrview cam?
If you leave the disc halfway in the drive, as soon as you 'power up the car' it will load the disc which puts you right back where you started. You need to take it out of the drive, THEN 'power up the car'. Every optical drive first needs to bring the disc up to speed (that can take anywhere from a second or two to a couple of seconds depending on the drive), then it needs to calibrate it's optics before it can be used (which can also take a few seconds and may even take longer in cold weather). The processor usually has to wait for the drive to finish it's boot up process (and may not do anything else depending on it's OS implementation). After the drives boot up process, the processor than has to load whatever it requires of the disc. In the case of the Navigation system, it first needs to acquire your current GPS location (again, this takes a second or two), then search for the corresponding data on the disc, load and process the map data before it can display it. These embedded processors usually have limited processing power and or memory and hence their ability to multitask is very limited. So when you put the car in reverse, the camera may be ready and has the video available, but the processor is still busy booting and loading or waiting on the optical drive or other systems within the cars network to complete their boot up/diagnostic sequence and indicate their readiness status. I have found that the optical drive is by far the worst culprit of them all taking the longest to boot and be available to the navigation/on-board computer.

Another contributing factor I found is if you put a CD into the CD drive that contains MP3s. The processor first has to load the directory structure, scan the disc for sub-folders and process it. This takes away processing power that would normally be available to the processor to handle other tasks. The same goes for USB connected devices, although the process is a bit faster due to the access speed difference between the CD drive and the USB interface. There is also a big difference between playing back a regular music CD and a CD containing MP3s or playing MP3s from a USB memory stick since the processor needs to decode/process the MP3s versus simply forwarding the regular audio data to the D/A converters.

Also, keep in mind that the quality of the discs (either the navigation DVD or music CD) plays an important role in how long it takes the drive to calibrate it's optics. This is especially true for recordable discs!

Give it a try, remove the navigation disc from the DVD drive BEFORE you start the car. I would also suggest you remove any music CDs (or MP3 CDs whatever the case may be) as well as any USB connected devices. Lock the car and wait a bit. Then try to open the car with your comfort access and enter the car as you usually do and start it up and see how long it takes for the camera to come up when you put the car in reverse.

Hope this helps you...

Post some feedback if you do end up trying it.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0