XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
jman123
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Ambiant Lighting - #563??

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and am exciting about ordering my first x5! With regards to the options, is anyone familiar with the ambiant lighting option #563 that's listed under the ZPP Premium Package? How exactly is this different from the standard lighting that comes with the vehicle.
Does this included lighting at the base of the doors sills where it says "BMW"? Any insight would be appreciated...
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

There are pin hole sized led lights in various areas that illuminate door handles, console area, rear seat console areas, etc. Standard interior lighting is basically white bulbs that go out once driving. Ambient lighting stays on all the time when the headlights are on.
      03-13-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
RedRockin
Rep
Drives: X5 30i

Actually, in the 2010 there are only a few and no longer in door handles. It is a subtle effect but very nice. I highly doubt it would be a deciding factor about getting Premium Package or not but they are very nice. There is a dim red led in each of the four door pockets and another that shines down on the center console from the overhead console. That's it. They are so subtle that the dealer and I could not even find them at delivery (daylight) and another poster had the same prob (couldn't find at delivery). But first night, in the dark, sure enough, they are there and quite nice IMHO.

There ARE white leds that illuminate the exterior door handles when you hit the keyfob to unlock but I do not think those are part of the "ambient lights"; I think these are standard (or, at least my dealer said they were at delivery).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
RedRockin
Rep

BTW, illuminated door sills are an accessory that you can order, see the BMWUSA build your own and look at accessories. I am pretty sure it is there. Or, you can ask your dealer about it or check on dealerfit.com. (good source for BMW parts way less $$ that dealers. Good luck on your new X5!!! Check out Xoutpost.com and bimmerfest.com (other forums) too.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
jman123
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Thanks RedRockin. I found the door sill accessory for $838 on bmwusa and $698 at dealerfit.com. I guess if I bought it with the vehicle the dealer would install.
I was mainly curious to know if the "ambiant lighting" was as dramatic as is seen in the new 5 series gran turismo.. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
RedRockin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman123 View Post
I was mainly curious to know if the "ambiant lighting" was as dramatic as is seen in the new 5 series gran turismo.. What do you think?
Just looked at the BMW site to see what you are comparing. X5 is not as elaborate. The "ambient" part is the same subtle color red but much less of it in X5 than Gran Tourismo. As I said, you will only see the "ambient" lighting in each of the door pockets and shining down on center console from the overhead console. That's it for "ambient". However, all instruments, window buttons, controls (idrive) dash buttons, etc are all red back-lit. So, all of the seat lines, dash lines and anything in the gran T beyond this above description will not be in the X. However, I canno speak to the upper end M model but as far as I know, the 30i, 35d and 48i are all the same. Also keep in mind that the 2011 will be going into production very soon. I think you can still order 2010s but probably not for very much longer. No-one has seen "ambient" in 2011 X5 so it could be the same as 2010 or it could be more. Hope this helps you.

EDIT: I am surprised there is so little price difference in the door sill price between BMW and dealerfit. On other items, the difference can be as much as 50%.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
RedRockin
Rep

Here is a pic from an '08 X6 showing the ambient light from ceiling over center console. This is pretty much what the X5 looks like. It doesn't show the doors but if you look at pics of X5 doors, you will see the door pockets and there is a singular red Ambient Light in each of the four door pockets. Hope this helps: http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=16
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

redrock is right but it look great in door storage are and footwells in front and back
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
RedRockin
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
redrock is right but it look great in door storage are and footwells in front and back
Haven't yet made it to the back seat in mine!!!!!!
Appreciate 0