XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #1
tuscanyboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X5 4.8i

rough idle at cold start

Hi there I am looking for some answers to my ongoing issue.
I have a 2007 BMW x5 4.8i and my vehicle starts up great and runs fine through the fast idle normal start but as soon as it kicks down it runs pretty rough. After it clears somewhat it drives fine until I hit about 2500 rpm and then it hesitates triggering the flashing check engine light. I shut it off and back on and the light goes away. If I don't hit 2500 rpm and let it warm up a bit more the engine light never comes back and the vehicle seems to drive ok with the odd flicker of hesitation in overdrive at highway speed.
I have changed the spark plugs, cleaned the fuel injection at the shop, switched around the ignition coils, changed out coil pack on cylinder 8, checked crank case ventilation issues ( fine) changed out fuel injectors and I keep getting the same code on the scanner po308.
Occasionally I can smell oil burning not from the tail pipes but the back of the engine. Not sure if its the same issue but it only happens once and a while.
I have read multiple causes on the internet but I find you can get even more confused by listening to each and every one. Anyone had the same issue with the same vehicle?? Thoughts or suggestions??
Thanks very much!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
2slick4u
Corporate Thug
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 30i

Hello-I'm experiencing the same rough idle / check engine light issue on my 2009 3.0I. My SA said that I needed a software update to resolve the issue, but in order to do that I'll need to revert my CIC back to the CCC & code. Which I don't wanna do.

I also had the burning oil issue. The dealership found 2 small oil leaks that they repaired.

Did you ever get the rough idle / check engine light issue resolved? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M - Carbon Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyboy View Post
Hi there I am looking for some answers to my ongoing issue.
I have a 2007 BMW x5 4.8i and my vehicle starts up great and runs fine through the fast idle normal start but as soon as it kicks down it runs pretty rough. After it clears somewhat it drives fine until I hit about 2500 rpm and then it hesitates triggering the flashing check engine light. I shut it off and back on and the light goes away. If I don't hit 2500 rpm and let it warm up a bit more the engine light never comes back and the vehicle seems to drive ok with the odd flicker of hesitation in overdrive at highway speed.
I have changed the spark plugs, cleaned the fuel injection at the shop, switched around the ignition coils, changed out coil pack on cylinder 8, checked crank case ventilation issues ( fine) changed out fuel injectors and I keep getting the same code on the scanner po308.
Occasionally I can smell oil burning not from the tail pipes but the back of the engine. Not sure if its the same issue but it only happens once and a while.
I have read multiple causes on the internet but I find you can get even more confused by listening to each and every one. Anyone had the same issue with the same vehicle?? Thoughts or suggestions??
Thanks very much!!
could be a bad fuel injector
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
I had rough stumbling idle on occasion that would throw a check engine light or send it into limp mode. Turned tout it needed new cam shaft position sensors.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 07:10 PM   #5
buckeyewalt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i

What code does it show when the light comes on? Check the turbo's for leaks?
Appreciate 0