XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #1
Jazzyj13
Patriot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 50i

Shudder

Hey all, wondering if any one else has experienced this problem I've been having. After driving for a bit from a cold start I'll come to a light, while in drive the engine seems to shudder for a split second. I keep an eye on the RPM's but it doesn't seem as the needle moves much, maybe I'm not quick enough to look when it happens. My SA says the tech found a fouled plug, after a bit it happened again. The last time, about a month ago, they said they replaced one of the coils. They performed the N63 dance just about year or so ago and it started happening about 3 months there after. The car also seems to be vibrating more than normal, feeling it through the steering wheel. Thanks for any input you guys can offer.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #2
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzyj13 View Post
Hey all, wondering if any one else has experienced this problem I've been having. After driving for a bit from a cold start I'll come to a light, while in drive the engine seems to shudder for a split second. I keep an eye on the RPM's but it doesn't seem as the needle moves much, maybe I'm not quick enough to look when it happens. My SA says the tech found a fouled plug, after a bit it happened again. The last time, about a month ago, they said they replaced one of the coils. They performed the N63 dance just about year or so ago and it started happening about 3 months there after. The car also seems to be vibrating more than normal, feeling it through the steering wheel. Thanks for any input you guys can offer.
How bad is the shudder? I experienced mild vibrations at stop lights, but apparently that's normal. Any misfire codes?
One thing to check for is whether your valve stems are leaking - they can leak oil and foul up your plugs and cause misfires (easy test: drive for 20 - 30 mins; then idle for a few mins. With gear shifter in "P", give some throttle - have a 2nd person check if there's any smoke from your exhaust when you give depress the gas pedal, that's your oil being burnt as a result of the valve stem leak).

I'm assuming your 2013 is still under factory warranty - if it's the valve stem leak, you may want to get this fixed (45 hrs of labor, several thousand $$).
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er
Quote:
How bad is the shudder? I experienced mild vibrations at stop lights, but apparently that's normal. Any misfire codes?
One thing to check for is whether your valve stems are leaking - they can leak oil and foul up your plugs and cause misfires (easy test: drive for 20 - 30 mins; then idle for a few mins. With gear shifter in "P", give some throttle - have a 2nd person check if there's any smoke from your exhaust when you give depress the gas pedal, that's your oil being burnt as a result of the valve stem leak).

I'm assuming your 2013 is still under factory warranty - if it's the valve stem leak, you may want to get this fixed (45 hrs of labor, several thousand $$).
Not saying it's this but when I was just about to come to a complete stop it's as if something in the drivetrain didn't want to let go till the last moment and I had s little shudder. Almost like it wanted to stall but only for a split second.

It wasn't a smooth stop. Later the shuddering got worse when we would make tight turns. Turned out to be the transfer case and diff's.

Replaced the transfer case and diff fluid and trans fluid flush and she drives like new, never been smoother. You would have thought it was something in the engine the way the rpm's would act and the shudder right before the stop but it turned out to be drivetrain related.

But if your vibrating or shuddering standing still I have no clue. You guys with the v8 are in another class for issues. Wouldn't even know where to start.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
Jazzyj13
Patriot
United_States
Rep

The only way I can describe the shudder is as if you had a quick chill run through your body, I can feel the interruption, not terrible but noticable. I'll see what the dealer says about any codes. I don't think it's a valve stem issue, weirdly enough I don't burn that much oil I do check the level periodically and I'm still sitting in good range but I will try your test. Thanks for the response.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The only way I can describe the shudder is as if you had a quick chill run through your body, I can feel the interruption, not terrible but noticable. I'll see what the dealer says about any codes. I don't think it's a valve stem issue, weirdly enough I don't burn that much oil I do check the level periodically and I'm still sitting in good range but I will try your test. Thanks for the response.
The reason I mentioned valve stems is because it happened to me. I experienced the a very similar "shudder" at stop lights while idling. There were misfire codes stored. First, they found the valve cover gaskets leaking, and they were replaced, along with new spark plugs. The misfire returned two weeks later. Then they diagnosed it to be valve stem seals -- a couple of new plugs were covered in oil as well. After the valve stem seal job, the car runs fine. The shudder is now a much less pronounced occasional vibration (apparently normal - IIRC, DME is programmed to run a bit richer when idle, and the vibration is a result of the injectors working harder as a result).

Could be bad injectors too. Do you have Rheingold or the carly app? They're very handy for diagnostics.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 02:49 PM   #6
Jazzyj13
Patriot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
The reason I mentioned valve stems is because it happened to me. I experienced the a very similar "shudder" at stop lights while idling. There were misfire codes stored. First, they found the valve cover gaskets leaking, and they were replaced, along with new spark plugs. The misfire returned two weeks later. Then they diagnosed it to be valve stem seals -- a couple of new plugs were covered in oil as well. After the valve stem seal job, the car runs fine. The shudder is now a much less pronounced occasional vibration (apparently normal - IIRC, DME is programmed to run a bit richer when idle, and the vibration is a result of the injectors working harder as a result).

Could be bad injectors too. Do you have Rheingold or the carly app? They're very handy for diagnostics.
Thanks, going in tomorrow lets see what they say this time.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
Jazzyj13
Patriot
United_States
Rep

Just heard back from the dealer, valve stems ok, valve cover gasket ok, plugs not fouled. They think it may be the transfer case. Still investigating, stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #8
Jazzyj13
Patriot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Not saying it's this but when I was just about to come to a complete stop it's as if something in the drivetrain didn't want to let go till the last moment and I had s little shudder. Almost like it wanted to stall but only for a split second.

It wasn't a smooth stop. Later the shuddering got worse when we would make tight turns. Turned out to be the transfer case and diff's.

Replaced the transfer case and diff fluid and trans fluid flush and she drives like new, never been smoother. You would have thought it was something in the engine the way the rpm's would act and the shudder right before the stop but it turned out to be drivetrain related.

But if your vibrating or shuddering standing still I have no clue. You guys with the v8 are in another class for issues. Wouldn't even know where to start.
SA just texted me with a question from the mechanic, he asked if I felt the shudder prior to stopping or at full stop idling in drive, -c- that question sounds like what you were experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #9
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzyj13
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

SA just texted me with a question from the mechanic, he asked if I felt the shudder prior to stopping or at full stop idling in drive, -c- that question sounds like what you were experiencing.
Yes just before a complete stop not at a full stop. Idled just fine sitting at a light. But just before a complete stop it had a very slight shudder.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 03:14 PM   #10
smaghraby
Registered
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: X5 2011 E70

Exclamation I'm seeing something similar

Quote:

Hi bmwx5er,
I'm seeing something similar. On my X5 E70 V8 twin turbo, I'm experiencing shudders / vibrations on accelerating, with excess smoke from the exhaust pipes, no DTC fault codes, no misfire readings. Any thoughts for the reason behind this?

Your contribution is much appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 06:57 PM   #11
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaghraby View Post
Quote:

Hi bmwx5er,
I'm seeing something similar. On my X5 E70 V8 twin turbo, I'm experiencing shudders / vibrations on accelerating, with excess smoke from the exhaust pipes, no DTC fault codes, no misfire readings. Any thoughts for the reason behind this?

Your contribution is much appreciated...
Any oil consumption issues? It could be leaking valve stem seals causing the smoke, as well as fouled up plugs causing misfires. Or it could be injectors, they can cause both excess smoke in exhaust as well as drive ability issues. Unfortunately you may be faced with both of these issues.
Appreciate 0