XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Velos Designwerks tune for my 2011 X5 M

I purchased my X5 M a couple months ago, and have been driving it unmodified to get a feel for its baseline performance and capabilities. Frankly, I have been underwhelmed.

I am coming out of a Mustang GT with a CAI, axelbacks, and a 93 custom dyno tune by one of the best tuners on the east coast. The difference in that vehicle tuned vs non-tuned was unbelievable. It was only an additional 40 or so horses at the wheel, but the increased throttle response (coupled with a manual transmission) made that power instantly accessible. I love that car, and it is for sale if anyone is interested. 78,000 miles of tuned driving and it still screams like a raped ape.

Unbelievably, I am underwhelmed by the X5 M. I generally hit the M button as soon as I get in it, but all that power just seems inaccessible. Unless I am in sport mode and using the paddle shifters, when I hit the gas I have to wait a couple seconds for it to decide what gear it wants to be in and then it finally scoots. Don't get me wrong - once its in the proper gear and the proper RPM range it goes like hell, but I hate the delayed response. Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of automatic transmissions with or without paddle shifters so I am having a hard time adjusting to this thing - I haven't daily driven an automatic since I was 18 and gas was less than a $1.00. I just hate having to work to get power out of a 550 hp engine!

So I decided to take the plunge and tune this thing to see if it helps. Obviously, I am no stranger to tuned vehicles - primarily, I want something safe. I am going to be driving this vehicle approximately 40K miles a year for the next 5 or 6 years, so I am more than willing to sacrifice a couple horsepower to keep the engine safely within its limits. The second most important thing I look for in a tuner is customer service - I am a veteran of the mustang forums, and people constantly lament going with the cheapest or the latest thing, instead of a tuner who answers the phone when they call. When it comes to the tune itself, I want it optimized for the things that matter - throttle response, because you feel that every time you touch the pedal - snappier shifts, because that occurs constantly while you drive - and mid range gains, because that is where we all spend the majority of our time, unless you are actually tracking or stripping these things. Your mileage may vary, but for me, I will take the tune that accomplishes these things rather than a tune that maximizes the high end and compromises the safety of the engine so that the tuner can claim he has the largest gains in an RPM range we will rarely reach.

With those factors in mind, I reviewed all the threads on this site (Yes, all 101 pages of them) and decided to reach out to Velos back in June. I emailed back and forth over a couple days with Ken Hartley, and he answered all my questions. I elected to drive it for a couple months before deciding whether to tune the vehicle, and after deciding to take the plunge I contacted Omar yesterday. He answered a couple more questions for me (always responding to PM's within minutes just as Ken did) and I pulled the trigger. Within an hour or so I received a tracking number from fed ex - yes, they are OVERNIGHTING me the handheld tuner as part of the cost. It should be here by the time I finish this post.

I intend to us this thread as a comprehensive review of the Velos tune and my experience with it for the benefit of anyone considering a tune.

I am also looking forward to the 10-15% mileage gains they claim on their website. At present I am averaging 15.5 mpg in mixed driving. My driving generally consists of 11 miles to work, mostly highway at 80 MPH, and frequent trips (several times a week) to a nearby city that is 110 miles away - those trips are about 50 miles of interstate at 80-90mph, 50 miles of heavily travelled semi-rural state roads with lots of passing zones that I use to great effect (which is where I get my paddle shifting practice) and about 10 miles of stop and go congested traffic.

10-15% mileage gains would be outstanding - I can report that tunes absolutely do increase mileage - I experienced that with my Mustang.

So anyway, looking forward to getting the tune installed and seeing how it changes things. Feel free to ask any questions, and I will answer as best I can.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was in a similar position about 2 months ago, and am definitely due for writing a review of the Velos tune. Let me tell you, you won't be disappointed. It's almost scary how much more midrange torque is available post-tune.

When you are downloading/uploading the tune from the vehicle, DO NOT think you can get away with not using a jumpstarter or voltage stabilizer. Just go pick one up from Autozone or Pep Boys.

I promise you'll feel good about going with Velos. I've had nothing but top-notch communication with Omar and the tune will speak for itself. Can't wait to hear what you think!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Great to hear another positive review - what kind of mileage improvements are you experiencing?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Congrats, enjoy all that newfound power!!

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Centrofly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5M

Underwhelmed? Seriously coming from a tuned mustang...... Our SAV' s weigh two thousand pounds more than the stang did... The insulation in the mustang is hideous compared to the x5m which can translate into a linear "not so fast" feel compared to a ford. Most mustangs have a hard time keeping up with me. And especially in the rain! Mustangs are 1/4 mile cars and drive like tin cans on the highway at high speeds. I'm all for tuning and the Velos tune sounds amazing but the you have to compare apples to apples. Just my 2 cents!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Yes, underwhelmed. Drive them back to back before you judge my critique. Yes they weigh 2000 more than a tuned mustang - and yes they are completely different vehicles. And yes, an X5M is faster on the road than a tuned mustang, but not by a lot. I doubt most of the mustangs that have trouble keeping up with you are tuned GTs driven by competent drivers, because when that properly tuned GT motor hits 3000 rpms it pulls as hard as anything out there. But you are missing my point. I'm not comparing the two, I'm comparing the accessability of the power of the two. We will see whether the tune unleashes the beast I believe to be hiding inside the X5M.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

I have had about 5 tuned vehicles with anything from a re-flash to a full standalone. As most people that have had a tuned vehicle can attest the Manufacture typically leaves a lot on the table. I never pulled the trigger on the Velos tune but I PMed back an forth with Omar, he seemed great the customer service was outstanding...I have yet to get a tune but my local tuner offered me a killer deal on a custom tune but I am still tempted every time Omar posts a thread about his personal tuners.
      09-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I have had about 5 tuned vehicles with anything from a re-flash to a full standalone. As most people that have had a tuned vehicle can attest the Manufacture typically leaves a lot on the table. I never pulled the trigger on the Velos tune but I PMed back an forth with Omar, he seemed great the customer service was outstanding...I have yet to get a tune but my local tuner offered me a killer deal on a custom tune but I am still tempted every time Omar posts a thread about his personal tuners.
If by local to Sylvan Lake you mean Lightspeed, I'd run for the hills before entrusting my $100k vehicle to the tuning there. And you'd probably leave with a Vipec standalone ECU.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
If by local to Sylvan Lake you mean Lightspeed, I'd run for the hills before entrusting my $100k vehicle to the tuning there. And you'd probably leave with a Vipec standalone ECU.
No I go to ECUProgram in Calgary they tuned my X5 Diesel and did a great job, the owner has a X5M with exhaust, down pipes and a tune he let me take it for a drive it was a huge difference over mine, it made mine feel like i was driving a Prius.

Someone did tell me LightSpeed tunes BMWs his wife has a 335xi, I am not sure how true it is or what software he is using to tune.

I would leave LightSpeed with a ViPEC and a manual boost controller because he can't figure out electronic ones seriously ask anyone that went there with an electronic boost controller they left with $110 turbos mart manual boost controller

Sorry for the off topic OP.
      09-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #10
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
No I go to ECUProgram in Calgary they tuned my X5 Diesel and did a great job, the owner has a X5M with exhaust, down pipes and a tune he let me take it for a drive it was a huge difference over mine, it made mine feel like i was driving a Prius.

Someone did tell me LightSpeed tunes BMWs his wife has a 335xi, I am not sure how true it is or what software he is using to tune.

I would leave LightSpeed with a ViPEC and a manual boost controller because he can't figure out electronic ones seriously ask anyone that went there with an electronic boost controller they left with $110 turbos mart manual boost controller

Sorry for the off topic OP.
OT: You're probably thinking of Airboy in Calgary. His wife drives an E92 335i. The difference is, Airboy knows how not to blow up engines. Good to hear you're going to ECU Program.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #11
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
So I received my package from Velos on Friday - it contained the tuner, the tuner to OBD II cable, and the USB to tuner cable, as well as a thumb drive with the instructions and software for the the tuner loaded on it. Had one small issue updating the software, so I called Velos to make sure I didn't screw it up. I immediately got Omar on the phone, and he walked me through the issue. Unfortunately, Omar also alerted me that Velos was closing down early Friday for the holiday weekend, so I wouldn't be able to get my tune until Tuesday! Oh well, I guess they deserve vacations too. Omar also cautioned me to make sure I used a battery tender when downloading the original tune, because it WILL kill the battery if you don't. Good thing he warned me, because I probably would have tried it.

I picked up a battery tender over the weekend, and downloaded the tune last night. It basically went off without a hitch, the instruction sheet with the screen shots of the tuner screen as it works through the steps was helpful. Start up was just a touch different than they had it, and it doesn't explain what "switching on the dashboard means (is that just pressing in the key or is it hitting the start button without your foot on the break? I just pressed the key in and that seemed to work. PLan on about an hour to get it downloaded.

I reconnected the tuner to my PC this morning quickly downloaded the file from the tuner to my desktop, dragged it into an email to Velos and sent it off. Took only seconds to download the tune to my desktop using the software - seemed almost too quick, so I hope everything is right.

Now I'm just waiting for the tune to modified and and sent back to me. Can't wait!

Also, as an update to my initial post, after a couple weeks of driving the thing harder, the adaptive drive seems to be kicking in - it is definitely responding better, even without the M button. Can't wait for 95 more HP and 100 more ft/lbs of torque, with better mileage!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Great review of the whole process so far. For the tune installation I used "switching on the dashboard" to mean two presses of the start button without holding the brake. You don't want the car to go to sleep on you while the tune is uploading (ask me how I know). The install is also twice as quick as the oem download was, less than 30 minutes if I remember correctly. Your X5M will make all types of noises and warnings during the process so don't mind it.

The reasons you mentioned for the tune were my goals as well. I was looking for daily driver friendly enhancements, not Sunday driver specials. The velos tune has satisfied them all. Regarding mpg you will see an increase if you can keep your foot out of it, which I haven't been able to do yet.

Do give the tune some miles to fully adapt to your vehicle and driving style. It took mine a little over 1000 miles to fully adapt. Most say the adaptation happens quicker, but I was still experiencing improvements up until that point. Particularly with stop and go driving in terms of part throttle application and power delivery. I only use m mode and the paddles so I can't comment on the tunes automatic shift mode improvements. I can say the shifts with the paddles are quicker yet smoother at the same time.

Speed safely!
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
airshaq20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M, E60

How much for the tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #14
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by airshaq20 View Post
How much for the tune?
PM Omar, he'll get back to you pretty quick.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
hansel22
Rep
Drives: X5M - B8S4

[u2b]http://youtu.be/dcD7uDWk6WQ[/u2b]

Your truck must be broken. Here's what I did to a mustang on a slick that sounded pretty healthy. My M was stock here.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
hansel22
Rep

Your truck must be broken. Here's what I did to a mustang on a slick that sounded pretty healthy. My M was stock here.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #17
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel22 View Post
[u2b]http://youtu.be/dcD7uDWk6WQ[/u2b]

You got the jump on a bad driver and then slowly pulled away - exactly what one would expect when a high 12's vehicle races a low 13's vehicle. You missed my point entirely.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #18
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
and you should have been DQ'd for jumping the light.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
hansel22
Rep

That's a .002 light my man and yes I have the time slips to back that up.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #20
hansel22
Rep

Also I think that was a 12.56 pass too.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #21
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
That's a .002 light my man and yes I have the time slips to back that up.
The eyes don't lie. You are moving when the light turns green.

Regardless, the fastest Human reaction time ever recorded is .01 seconds. Really, really fast without being a total freak is .13 seconds. But you are .002? You are wasting your time in a BMW. Every top fuel team in the country would hire you on the spot and pay you millions.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #22
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M - Carbon Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateX5M View Post
Yes, underwhelmed. Drive them back to back before you judge my critique. Yes they weigh 2000 more than a tuned mustang - and yes they are completely different vehicles. And yes, an X5M is faster on the road than a tuned mustang, but not by a lot. I doubt most of the mustangs that have trouble keeping up with you are tuned GTs driven by competent drivers, because when that properly tuned GT motor hits 3000 rpms it pulls as hard as anything out there. But you are missing my point. I'm not comparing the two, I'm comparing the accessability of the power of the two. We will see whether the tune unleashes the beast I believe to be hiding inside the X5M.
dude, you are comparing an american muscle coupe with a 5000 lb german suv. seems sort of absurd. why didn't you get an M3? X5M is fastest, best handling SUV out there...save for P-cay turbo S. The X5M is supposed to be for those of us who don't have room/interst in having two cars and want best of both worlds. just not fair to compare to something so different in my opinion.

all that said, thanks for sharing about your experience w/tune.
Appreciate 0