XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-14-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
CFCodeMonkey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 xDrive35d

Thumbs up Proud New Member, Proud New 2009 35d Owner!

Hi all! I am currently a member of e46fanatics.com as I have been driving a Jet Black 2006 BMW 325Ci ("facelift coupe") since 2007.

Ever since I saw the facelift X5 I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for the right time to get in an X5. Last weekend I decided to start researching the X5 again as it became a necessity to tow my 2 motorcycles (Blue 2001 Suzuki SV650s and Black/Matte Black 2008 Suzuki GSXR-1000) from FL to NY in July.

It turns out that there was not one single X5 (30i, 35d or 48i) in the entire United States that matched my exact package specifications (not listed below). So, after the entire week of corresponding with the Fields BMW internet folks, I decided to come in Saturday (June 13) to special order my custom built X5 30i:

Black Sapphire
Leatherette seats (cheaper, less maintenance, lasts forever, cooler in FL weather, etc.)
Technology Package
Running boards

Nothing else was necessary and I wanted to keep my lease payments low. So I was at the dealership for over 5 hours and test drove an X5 30i (non-sport), an X5 30i (sport) and finally, due to an overwhelming void in pickup on the highway while flooring the 30i, an X5 35d (fully loaded for the most part...non-sport). First of all, let me say, while driving the 35d, I haven't smiled that much since I was in my 2000 Mustang GT. The void I was referring to was completely forgotten about and suddenly made the $3000+ extra for the diesel worth every single penny.

Long story short, when it came time to building out the (extremely basic) custom X5 and then finding out the extremely high lease payment, I jokingly threw out a counter offer that made me and the saleswoman laugh. I go, "that number's not TOOOOOO ugly, but it's also not all that pretty either. If we can get closer to XXX or YYY for that one over there," pointing at the Alpine White 2009 xDrive35d I just parked in the service entrance lane, "I'll drive that off the lot today." The funny part about it was, YYY was just $25 higher than XXX while the sticker price for YYY was $8000+ more.

She came back and was just about in shock when she delivered the deal (or should I say agreement) that her manager sent her back with. What I ended up walking away with was a payment lower than what I would have paid for a base 35d with Nevada leather and nothing more. The options I got are:

Alpine White
Sand Beige Nevada Leather
Dark Burl Walnut wood trim
Premium Package
Rear Climate Package
Technology Package
3rd Row Seat
Running Boards
iPod and USB adapter
Satellite radio with 1 year subscription

Apparently this car has barely been driven as it was one of the first ones on the lot when they were first shipped and has only 35 (15 of which were my own, lol) miles on it. It was costing them too much to keep on the lot and, from what I can tell, I came to the right place at the right time.

Now, I haven't officially signed any paperwork yet (deposit has been made, though) but I'm wondering...do you think I got a good deal or should I pass on the offer?

Here she is at the end of a build:

Last edited by CFCodeMonkey; 06-14-2009 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

So what are the numbers???? Under invoice?

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #3
CFCodeMonkey
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 xDrive35d

I honestly don't know how they're doing the numbers. This is my first time leasing a vehicle. I bough a black 2000 Mustang GT in 2005, traded that in for a jet black 2006 BMW 325Ci in 2007, and now decided to get an X5 as I need a vehicle to tow my 2 bikes and obtain more room for various cargo purposes. I think I am the perfect candidate for leasing but time will tell. That new iDrive looks sweet so I'm hoping I can retrofit the controls. I'm a DIY kind of guy so I'm not worried about the lease part. This morning, I swapped out my coupe's Pioneer Avic Z2 with the OEM radio, original relocation kit, etc.

Okay so I suppose my original post didn't provide enough information to render a reply of "yay" or "nay". Here are the numbers that I was given:

For the original Black Sapphire 30i I was going to custom build with the options listed in my OP, the number they came back with was $896 with a $0 down payment (NEVER give a down payment if you lease).

In my OP, XXX is equal to $825 and YYY is $850. For what it's worth, my highest payment I was willing to pay was $900 so I started off really low.

The number they came back to me with for the Alpine White X5 35d, with the options depicted in the OP, was $857. This is what my monthly payment will be after taxes for a 36 month, $15,000 mile lease term.

I did the "Estimate Payment" on bmwusa.com with the exact options I am getting (shown in OP) and for the same terms with $0 down, the total monthly payment would have been $994!!!

All in all, what I had to sacrifice was settling for the Alpine White color (a color I secretly wanted all along cause I'm tired of spending so much time and money on keeping black clean but hid that from my fiance cause she wanted black), gaining over $8,000 in additional options, saving almost $5000 in lease payments, and GETTING A TWIN-TURBO DIESEL WITH OVER 400 POUND-FEET OF TORQUE!!!!!!

Last edited by CFCodeMonkey; 06-14-2009 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 07:20 AM   #4
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

I don't know if it matters to you but if you lease you will not get the 1800.00 tax credit. Also if you are a BMWCCA member you are in for another 1k back. I am in the same boat but decided to do the select with the ballon to get the tax credit. I was just wondering how close to invoice you are, or if you are under.

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #5
Mrchntmarine
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFCodeMonkey View Post
I honestly don't know how they're doing the numbers. This is my first time leasing a vehicle. I bough a black 2000 Mustang GT in 2005, traded that in for a jet black 2006 BMW 325Ci in 2007, and now decided to get an X5 as I need a vehicle to tow my 2 bikes and obtain more room for various cargo purposes. I think I am the perfect candidate for leasing but time will tell. That new iDrive looks sweet so I'm hoping I can retrofit the controls. I'm a DIY kind of guy so I'm not worried about the lease part. This morning, I swapped out my coupe's Pioneer Avic Z2 with the OEM radio, original relocation kit, etc.

Okay so I suppose my original post didn't provide enough information to render a reply of "yay" or "nay". Here are the numbers that I was given:

For the original Black Sapphire 30i I was going to custom build with the options listed in my OP, the number they came back with was $896 with a $0 down payment (NEVER give a down payment if you lease).

In my OP, XXX is equal to $825 and YYY is $850. For what it's worth, my highest payment I was willing to pay was $900 so I started off really low.

The number they came back to me with for the Alpine White X5 35d, with the options depicted in the OP, was $857. This is what my monthly payment will be after taxes for a 36 month, $15,000 mile lease term.

I did the "Estimate Payment" on bmwusa.com with the exact options I am getting (shown in OP) and for the same terms with $0 down, the total monthly payment would have been $994!!!

All in all, what I had to sacrifice was settling for the Alpine White color (a color I secretly wanted all along cause I'm tired of spending so much time and money on keeping black clean but hid that from my fiance cause she wanted black), gaining over $8,000 in additional options, saving almost $5000 in lease payments, and GETTING A TWIN-TURBO DIESEL WITH OVER 400 POUND-FEET OF TORQUE!!!!!!
Just curious - why did you say never put money down on a lease? My dealer made me put money down on my x5 and 1st month's payment before they would take the order to build it?!? It's a lease.... Tks
Appreciate 0