XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
karkid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

X6 5.0?

Looking to move from my 335 to a X6... just wondering what you guys think? Inputs opinions anyone else made this jump?
      06-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Rek
Dark Knight Rises
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X6 3.5/2009 FX35

You're going from pure speed to a beast with lots of power. The handling is different and if you've never owned a truck/SUV or crossover type vehicle, it will be a challenge. You will feel the weight of the X6 but the ride is smooth.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Rek is spot on. I went from a M5 to the X6 (my first truck, albeit an amazing vehicle) and I have not been thrilled. I miss having a car for my day to day driving*. Long trips are wonderful and hitting a pothole is a non-event compared to the 335 with run-flats. Snow and bad weather are a lot more fun too!

In a PERFECT world, you would keep your 335 AND get the X6. One for winter, one for summer (make that one for summer and one for winter).

*I ended up picking up a car, so now I'm lucky enough to have the best of both worlds - I just need a bigger garage.

edit - this is going to sound terrible, but... I had a 335xi loaner while my hatch was being repainted and I realized that I would have been THRILLED with the 335xi as a daily driver. My kids less so (they love the back seat of the X6 - heated and a lot more room than the 335xi). My wife is not a fan however - at 5' 2" she can't get into the X6 without hitting her head and/or giving the world a peep show (I did not get running boards and there is no passenger or driver's side grab handle) - so it is a jump and turn for her.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
evandro13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6

i had a 335i in stick shift and i can't lie i miss it... but i do love the x6, although mine is only a 35i...I needed a car with more space i play hockey go skiing and mountain biking and the x6 is just more practical for all that. that being said i think its the best mix available for practicality (believe it or not) and fun...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
I went from 335i with LSD and sway bars upgrades to X6M
I do miss 6MT a bit, but no regrets at all
It's a bit different fun with X6, but lots of it
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

I wouldn't make the move unless you are ready to go to a truck.

Using myself as an example, I had an S4 before my X6, and I only switched after getting sandwiched in a 7-car accident. Around the time the insurance company was totaling the car, I said to myself, "Self, you need a truck." Why? Well: a) my new commute was going to have me stuck in the same rush-hour traffic that killed my S4, surrounded by the same crap drivers; b) my advancing years meant I cared even less about being "more faster more furiouser" than the next guy and instead valued something that would not ravage my lower back; and c) the state and federal government's ongoing financial budget crises meant our roads were probably going to be sh!t for the foreseeable future, so I would need a fast mover with capacity that could run even on bad roads for when the zombie apocalypse started.

Based on all that, I decided to make the move to a truck and the X6 fit my needs beautifully, but I definitely miss the experience of driving a small, more nimble vehicle with a manual transmission. If you feel you have similar needs, then by all means go for the X6, but you might want to test the 35i engine. Most reviews I've read agree that it's more agile than the 50, but rightfully ding it on power. However, you can do some simple modifications to address that issue. But there is definitely no replacement for the V8 sound.

Anyway, good luck with your decision!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygel XXV View Post
I wouldn't make the move unless you are ready to go to a truck.

Using myself as an example, I had an S4 before my X6, and I only switched after getting sandwiched in a 7-car accident. Around the time the insurance company was totaling the car, I said to myself, "Self, you need a truck." Why? Well: a) my new commute was going to have me stuck in the same rush-hour traffic that killed my S4, surrounded by the same crap drivers; b) my advancing years meant I cared even less about being "more faster more furiouser" than the next guy and instead valued something that would not ravage my lower back; and c) the state and federal government's ongoing financial budget crises meant our roads were probably going to be sh!t for the foreseeable future, so I would need a fast mover with capacity that could run even on bad roads for when the zombie apocalypse started.

Based on all that, I decided to make the move to a truck and the X6 fit my needs beautifully, but I definitely miss the experience of driving a small, more nimble vehicle with a manual transmission. If you feel you have similar needs, then by all means go for the X6, but you might want to test the 35i engine. Most reviews I've read agree that it's more agile than the 50, but rightfully ding it on power. However, you can do some simple modifications to address that issue. But there is definitely no replacement for the V8 sound.

Anyway, good luck with your decision!
good points! How do you like the dinan tune?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #8
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Thanks bulldog.

Personally, I love the Dinan tune. It doesn't cure the off-the-line lag, at least in standard drive, but there's a noticeable improvement over stock in the midrange. I know there are more powerful tunes out there, but since I'm not that experienced with modifying my car, I'm ok with something more conservative with a warranty. Plus Dinan is located in my city, so I had to support the local business.

Anyway, given the weight of the X6 I'd definitely recommend a tune for the 35i, whether factory, Dinan or other aftermarket. Turns a competent but somewhat pokey car into something surprisingly fast and agile.

On a side note, I saw your avatar- you a rugby player? I played in college, rotated between lock and prop. Hence the need for a car easy on my back.
Appreciate 0