XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

10-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #1
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
Left Window Control Switch

Greetings,

I have recently purchased a 2103 X5 and noticed the driver door control switch is starting to peel. I found a replacement part on FCP Euro for $230 but I have also found plenty of other replacement parts online for around $20-$30. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and which part do you recommend going with.

I don't mind spending the extra cash but if these other parts are truly just as good then I cant justify the price difference.

Part

FCP EURO $230
BMW Trim Door Pull Left (Black) - Genuine BMW 51416975791
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ck-51416975791

Ebay Listing $15
https://www.ebay.com/itm/17372787439....c101111.m2109
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 06:06 PM   #2
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I purchased this one from amazon and it looks good and has held up well so far. Probably the same manufacture as the ebay link, but can't confirm that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
argento538.00
      10-26-2022, 02:19 PM   #3
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx View Post
I purchased this one from amazon and it looks good and has held up well so far. Probably the same manufacture as the ebay link, but can't confirm that.

Thank you so much! I will be purchasing it here shortly! How hard was the install! Did you have to remove the door card?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 04:18 PM   #4
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnytx View Post
Thank you so much! I will be purchasing it here shortly! How hard was the install! Did you have to remove the door card?
I will be doing this same job, for the same reason. But I have to do it to all 4 doors as the rears have the sticky inner handle problems.

If history is any lesson on BMWs... you will have to remove the door card to install.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 09:49 PM   #5
X535dee
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Wow. What a difference in price. Granted FCP products will prob last longer but Amazon n ebay are such good deals. I just restored the shifter bezel/cover and cup holder cover also. Came out very nice. I wonder why a 10 year old car has chipping/pealing trim pieces which I'm not to happy about being a "bmw" in all ����
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 11:40 PM   #6
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
I will be doing this same job, for the same reason. But I have to do it to all 4 doors as the rears have the sticky inner handle problems.

If history is any lesson on BMWs... you will have to remove the door card to install.
oof... well thats going to suck.

Time to start looking up youtube videos and figuring out how to do it without breaking any clips.

Good luck on your projects!

Let me know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 11:42 PM   #7
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X535dee View Post
Wow. What a difference in price. Granted FCP products will prob last longer but Amazon n ebay are such good deals. I just restored the shifter bezel/cover and cup holder cover also. Came out very nice. I wonder why a 10 year old car has chipping/pealing trim pieces which I'm not to happy about being a "bmw" in all ����
Its such a crazy price difference. I figured there was a better option out there. I just didn't want to go too cheap and truly get what I paid for. It's crazy how common the pealing is
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 10:39 AM   #8
dmppdx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

You actually don't have to remove the door cards, at least for the driver's door, but I don't think that is needed for the other doors eithre.

You just need to use a plastic pry tool to lift up on one side and it pops out. Can't remember if its the front or back you want to pry first, but there are a few videos around and you can kind of tell from looking at the tabs on the replacement piece as well.
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #9
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
You actually don't have to remove the door cards, at least for the driver's door, but I don't think that is needed for the other doors eithre.

You just need to use a plastic pry tool to lift up on one side and it pops out. Can't remember if its the front or back you want to pry first, but there are a few videos around and you can kind of tell from looking at the tabs on the replacement piece as well.
That's awesome news. Can do 3 of the doors like this I assume. Will look into the driver's door further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg3VmHvt-bc

Edit: And here's the driver's door handle. So stoked that I'm not going to have to spend all day pulling door cards (especially the window shade rears) to replace all this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tqCKx914Yo
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2022, 01:15 PM   #10
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:

WOW!!!! Thats great to know! Thanks for letting us know! Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 01:16 PM   #11
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
That's awesome news. Can do 3 of the doors like this I assume. Will look into the driver's door further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg3VmHvt-bc

Edit: And here's the driver's door handle. So stoked that I'm not going to have to spend all day pulling door cards (especially the window shade rears) to replace all this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tqCKx914Yo
Good Job finding the video! I just got my part in the mail today! Ill most likely replace it sometime this weekend!

Good luck on your project! Let me know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 04:46 PM   #12
Chrisnytx
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:

UPDATE:

I purchased the panel from the link provided above. I used a plastic trim piece remover tool to take off the the module from the door, then I took it to my work bench and used a tiny flat head screw driver to remove the panel from the window switches and clipped them into the new panel.

When I went to install the panel back into my door, I noticed the new panel was slightly longer than the OEM piece. It made installing it a little tricky since the opposite side kept coming out as I tried to pop in the other side. Install tip is to start from the center and work it little by little until you get both ends clipped in.

Once the part was fully in, it felt and looked great! I would (9/10) recommend this part for anyone else looking for a replacement.

Install took me ~ 30 mins since I did take the panel inside to switch the buttons inside.

Best of luck to anyone who is doing this in the future. Hopefully this was helpful to someone
Appreciate 0