XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-16-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

Rear airbags microleak...

2011 x5m, around 65k miles ,

Car was parked for a few days and noticed the driver side rear sagging. fired up the car self leveled and was ok. After about a week or so again.

Took it to the dealer , since no codes were thrown charged me for diagnostics and got the car back.

a week later car was sitting on the back driver side again. This time took plenty of pictures.

Dealer found out there was a micro leak after soaking the airbags, replaced under extended warranty. while doing the driver side they also noticed a micro leak on the passenger side.

Also fixed under extended warranty.

I swear these cars are engineered to break.... and thank goodness for extended warranty. I have 5 more years left on the extended warranty

Joe
      02-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #2
dpie
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by novablackm3 View Post

Car was parked for a few days and noticed the driver side rear sagging. fired up the car self leveled and was ok. After about a week or so again.

Took it to the dealer , since no codes were thrown charged me for diagnostics and got the car back.

a week later car was sitting on the back driver side again. This time took plenty of pictures.

Dealer found out there was a micro leak after soaking the airbags, replaced under extended warranty. while doing the driver side they also noticed a micro leak on the passenger side.

I swear these cars are engineered to break.... and thank goodness for extended warranty. I have 5 more years left on the extended warranty

Joe
Which company is your extended warranty through? Im CPO until 2020 but interested in knowing.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
F06msportmia
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by novablackm3 View Post

Joe
I like what you said! "Engineered to Break" WTF BMW...

Couldn't agree more.

I wonder if the F platform has the same or less issues as the E platform.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Those airbags leak, it's a fact of life, and a poor design IMO. Luckily for folks without a warranty, there are 3rd party parts that are super inexpensive, and most any shadetree mechanic, even in your own garage can swap them out. e.g. arnott

Rather than all the electronic dohickery, BMW could have removed the compressor, wiring, hosts, bags, etc in favor of a proper shock/spring.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
captpilly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5D

I replaced these by myself - ordered bags off amazon - took 1.5 hours - longer to take the cover off were the air pump is located.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 05:10 PM   #6
GregWX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 ///M

I've replaced both of them, did the passenger side and then within 2 months the driver side started to leak! Very easy DIY....and not crazy expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

extended warranty is from dealer called 'the mechanic' zero deductable , they process all claim paper work. 60k additional miles unlike the BMW one which is from original miles.

no claims on my m3 , well over 16k in warranty claim since being out of warranty 2 years and 1 month .