XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-08-2024, 12:56 PM   #1
grkmspr
Rep
Drives: X6 xdrive35i

Can i use standart battery instead of AGM battery?

Hello, I bought a 2013 model xdrive35i X6 from the gallery yesterday. It was a vehicle waiting to be sold for 2 months. I bought it yesterday and parked it, today I tampered with the car a little bit and when I tried to start it, the car did not start, I thought it was the battery. When I bought it, there was already a 38A4 ibs missing error.

When I opened the battery, a 100ah standard local brand battery was placed. It was not AGM, I tested the battery and the battery was completely dead. (Soh %19 soc %0)

The question is, I have a very good condition 110ah VARTA battery, I want to install it. What problems does installing a non-AGM battery cause? Is AGM necessary? After all, there is no start/stop in the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 10:29 PM   #2
jaitoon
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X6 50i

These vehicles are equipped with IBS (Intelligent Battery System) monitor. Wrong batteries can create a host of issues with the DME module.
AGM batteries can withstand deep cycle discharges. And these engines do tend to run a bit hot - especially the N63s with twin turbos. This may not apply to you, but putting in the incorrect battery can create more headaches - that you can do without.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2024, 11:37 AM   #3
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaitoon View Post
These vehicles are equipped with IBS (Intelligent Battery System) monitor. Wrong batteries can create a host of issues with the DME module.
AGM batteries can withstand deep cycle discharges. And these engines do tend to run a bit hot - especially the N63s with twin turbos. This may not apply to you, but putting in the incorrect battery can create more headaches - that you can do without.
I agree with what jaitoon has said - however as you have a good battery...I would say try it...if you can register it, which you should be able to do by various means....this link should explain:

https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/ite...h%20BimmerTech

I would also get a good charger and put your vehicle on life support when away for a week or more, or if you mainly do short trips.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 11:16 PM   #4
grkmspr
Rep
Drives: X6 xdrive35i

Hello,

At the same time, my car also has 3446 fault. "Oil Condition sensor missing."

I bought a new IBS cable and a new oil level sensor, the malfunctions continue. I bought a new AGM battery yesterday EXIDE. If I find time tomorrow, I will change it at the service and register it. But it doesn't seem like the problem will go away again.

The service technician says the DME module may be broken.
Do you have any suggestions about this malfunction?

I will keep you informed of the news after I replace the battery.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 11:40 AM   #5
1er_vert
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si; 2010 BMW X6

Go with the AGM. Highly recommended...