XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow 2011 X5 and X5M Fall Updates Summary (Beginning September Production)

BMW Model Year 2011 Fall Update

* Press Release

Woodcliff Lake, N.J., September 8, 2010... For most BMW models, the 2011 model year began in spring 2010. Below, we outline each of the 2011 models including the changes that will take place from September production.

BMW’s new inline-6 gasoline engine.

Beginning with model year 2011 production, several BMW models (135i, 335i, 535i, 535i Gran Turismo, X5 xDrive35i, and X6 xDrive35i) will switch to the new, single twin-scroll turbocharged inline-6 “N55” engine. The newest BMW inline-6 engine is the first BMW inline-6 to combine turbocharging, High Precision direct fuel injection, and Valvetronic variable intake technology. It features a single, mid-sized turbocharger with a “twin-scroll” housing to boost performance and minimize the response lag. Together, this combination produces the same at 300hp and 300 lb-ft of the previous N54, but the fuel efficiency improves and the emissions are reduced.

A further advantage of turbocharging is that this is the most weight-efficient method to boost engine power and performance. The N55 turbocharged inline-6 weighs approximately 150 lbs. less than an equally powerful eight-cylinder engine displacing 4.0 liters. This lower weight means a significant advantage not only in fuel economy, but also in balancing the car's weight distribution.

Using Valvetronic for the first time on a turbocharged inline-6 allows the engine to “inhale” air for combustion with virtually no delay and with reduced pumping losses. As a result, the engine makes power more quickly than ever before, and this is proven by the N55’s ability to reach peak torque at 1200rpm, 200rpm earlier than its twin-turbo predecessor [N54].

Packaging is better for the new engine, as the BMW Digital Motor Electronics (DME) control unit is now mounted directly to the engine, shortening the required wiring harness length and providing more efficient cooling to the DME through the use of intake air. Furthermore, using a single turbocharger means only a single exhaust stream must find its way to the catalytic converter, so only a single catalytic converter is used on the new engine. The single catalytic converter can be activated more quickly at cold start than the preceding twin-catalyst configuration, so the new engine has a cleaner cold start emissions signature than its predecessor. The new “N55” engine will be installed in the 135i Coupe and Convertible, the 335i Sedan, Coupe and Convertible (excludes 335is models), the new 535i Sedan when it arrives this summer, the 535i Gran Turismo arriving this spring and finally, the X5 xDrive35i and X6 xDrive35i Sports Activity Vehicles® starting with April production.

2011 BMW X5 SAV®

For 2011, the BMW X5 models are enhanced with new powertrains and updated design. Innovative new design elements and powertrains are the result of over 4,000 new parts created by BMW designers and engineers for the 2011 BMW X5. Two of the X5’s powertrains are all-new for 2011, creating the new X5 xDrive50i ($59,275) and X5 xDrive35i ($46,675), in addition to the familiar BMW Advanced Diesel X5 xDrive35d ($52,175). All models receive a design update that enhances the brilliant focus and aesthetic appearance of the X5 brand. The gasoline models receive BMW’s new 8-speed automatic transmission for better acceleration and fuel efficiency.

The X5 xDrive50i features BMW’s 4.4-liter “reverse flow” V-8 engine with 400 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque, coupled to the new 8-speed automatic transmission. The X5 xDrive35i features BMW’s newest inline-6 engine (see Page 1), with 300 horsepower and 300 lb-ft, also coupled to the 8-speed automatic. These two models are capable of 0-60mph acceleration in 5.3 seconds and 6.4 seconds, respectively, while achieving EPA highway fuel efficiency ratings of 20 and 23 miles per gallon, respectively.

The updated body design of the 2011 BMW X5 is characterized by well-balanced proportions that accentuate the vehicle’s powerful presence and agility. A long wheelbase, short front and rear body overhangs, and large light-alloy wheels provide a visual balance between the front and rear of the vehicle. Square-shaped, carefully flared wheel arches hint at the X5’s all-wheel drive traction and other-roads capability. The body lines sweep upwards from the front and rear wheels, communicating BMW’s near-perfect 50-50 front-rear weight distribution which is so essential to the X5’s legendary driving dynamics.

The sides of the X5 are elegantly stretched though the strong horizontal lines of each side. The surface of the hood flows seamlessly into the waistline, while the prominent, gently inclined contour line at the door handle level extends from the front wheel arches to the rear of the vehicle. These character lines symbolize power, stability, and presence.

With its distinctively contoured hood, large BMW kidney grille and dual round headlights, the new BMW X5 boasts an expressive front end that symbolizes power and presence.

The newest interpretation of the X5’s look is led by the redesign of the front fascia and position of the standard fog lamps. Due to an increase in the number of elements painted body color, the front end gives the impression of being lower. At the same time, the increased size of both the central and outer air intakes hint at the boosted engine output. The black trim at the bottom edge of the body is now considerably narrower. A matte-finished silver protection plate extends across the entire width of the central air intake, emphasizing the muscular features of the SAV, and accentuates the new X5’s character.

An M Sport Package is now available on most X5 models, with sporty components perfectly matched to each vehicle. Last year showcased the introduction of the BMW Advanced Diesel-powered X5 xDrive35d. It features a 3.0-liter sequential twin-turbo inline-6 diesel engine with 265 horsepower and 425 lb-ft of torque. The X5 xDrive 35d offers class-leading performance and fuel efficiency: 0 – 60 mph in 6.9 seconds and an equally impressive 19 mpg city/26 mpg highway EPA rating.

2011 BMW X5 M AND X6 M

The X5 M and X6 M are unchanged for the 2011 model year.

Finding new ways to expand the boundaries of what is possible with existing BMW models has always been the singular purpose of the craftsmen at BMW M. The BMW X5 M and the BMW X6 M are the first all-wheel-drive models to offer the remarkable performance, dynamic driving experience, athletic design, and premium quality of a BMW M product.

Both models are powered by a new-concept BMW M engine that departs purposefully from the established ultra-high-revving V-8 and V-10 M engines powering the M3, M5 and M6 models. For power, torque, and response characteristics, BMW M has adapted twin turbocharging, High Precision direct fuel injection and accompanying new technologies that achieve the ever-consistent BMW M goal of the highest levels of performance and refinement.

Thanks to a special, M-tuned version of BMW’s Integrated Chassis Management, on-board systems including xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive and Dynamic Performance Control torque-vectoring system are maximized for handling while braking and accelerating under the most extreme circumstances. As a result, the X5 M and X6 M are able to maximize traction while precisely following the steering inputs of the driver.

The X5 M and X6 M are equipped with the M Drive system, which allows a driver to pre-configure the vehicle for maximum performance and feedback at a touch of the steering wheel-mounted M Button.

BMW EfficientDynamics

The Intelligent Way to Reduce Fuel Consumption and Emissions.

BMW’s commitment to reduce harmful emissions and help protect the environment is unique in the automobile industry. BMW applies its EfficientDynamics principles to each model by using lightweight components in key areas, new technologies for improved powertrain efficiency and more importantly, planned sustainability for the long term reduction of fuel consumption and emissions output.

A recent Environmental Defense report shows that BMW’s fleet average for CO2 emissions was reduced by 12% from 1990 - 2005 and its fuel economy improved by 14%, despite the introduction of many new passenger cars and light-duty trucks. This not only demonstrates our long-standing dedication to help the environment, but our ability to do so with every vehicle that wears the BMW roundel.

In this period of time, BMW has introduced many industry-leading technologies across its entire model range, such as Valvetronic throttle-less engine control, on-demand coolant and hydraulic pumps for reduced parasitic losses, and High-Precision Direct Injection. In 2009, BMW added two 50-state BMW Advanced Diesel models for an unprecedented combination of performance and low emissions. In some 2010 and 2011 models, BMW introduced Brake Energy Regeneration, Auto Start-Stop technology and two BMW ActiveHybrid models. It is our unending goal to develop technologies and vehicles designed to combine the efficiency our customers desire with dynamics and performance our customers expect.

BMW ConnectedDrive Innovations: Advanced on-board use of mobile phones and music players.

Beginning with September production there will be enhancements to BMW Assist with Bluetooth and the iPod/USB Adapter. These enhancements extend the functionality through improved integration of mobile devices into the vehicle. These new features are made possible by hardware advances. (All Models)

BMW Assist with Extended Bluetooth

The Bluetooth functionality is extended beyond hands-free and phonebook support with multiple innovations. Feature support is dependent upon compatibility with the mobile device.

RIM Smart Phone Integration
  • * Mobile Office: The industry-first mobile office integration of BlackBerry Smartphones, a customer can access email, text messages, and notes through the iDrive system providing seamless integration with the vehicle. Safety and avoiding driver distraction is paramount at BMW. In order to maintain the driver’s focus on the road, the vehicle’s voice control system (included with navigation) will read messages aloud via text-to-speech. The central screen will also display the only the first three lines of text. The full text can only be displayed when the vehicle is parked. Compatible BlackBerry hardware, firmware, and feature set will be announced later.
  • * vCard photo support: Images of contacts stored in your phonebook are downloaded from the device and shown on the vehicle display. When the mobile phone rings, a picture of the caller will appear on the vehicle display.
  • * External Call Lists: External call list handling downloads the “re-dial” and “received calls list” at every reconnect of the mobile device and after each call.
  • * Bluetooth Music Streaming: Bluetooth music streaming offers wireless audio streaming from the mobile device to the vehicle. Music stored on the mobile phone is played and controlled through the iDrive controller.

iPod/USB Adapter

· iPod One-wire integration: The iPod connection no longer requires the “Y-cable” for separate aux-input for sound. The iPod USB cable supplied with the iPod is all that is required to connect the device to the vehicle. The music is transferred directly from the iPod digitally to the sound system via the USB connection.· Album Cover Art: If cover art is contained in the metadata of a particular song, it will show on the vehicle display while the song is played.· Voice Control of Devices: The driver can control external devices and select genre, artist, album, and song title with the voice control system included with Navigation System.· Mobile Phone Device Driver Update: In combination with BMW Assist, the USB port can be used to upload new mobile phone and audio player device drivers. (Release timing for this feature and device driver availability are subject to change.)
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
jps8750
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5

Garage List
2006 x5 3.0  [0.00]
Thanks for this great data.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
Crispen
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 x5 and BMW Conti Car

I just bought a new X5 today. How do I know if I got this new engine or not?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Rattmann
Rep
Drives: 2011 TURBO X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispen View Post
I just bought a new X5 today. How do I know if I got this new engine or not?
Just step on gas !!
Open hood and look for "TURBO"
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
pamooch
punch it
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M Black/Black

thanks for that....just ordered my X5M yesterday....coming next week...can't wait!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
needspeed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 X5 M/05 F430/12 CTS-V Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamooch View Post
thanks for that....just ordered my X5M yesterday....coming next week...can't wait!!!
Good for you......You are going to love it.....I know it puts a big smile on my face every day.......Steve
05 F430 F1 - Giallo
08 BMW M3 Interlagos Blue Metallic - DCT (Traded)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

Yea. Just got my 2011 X5M. So fast; dare I say it's the perfect M3 replacement???
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4/ 15 328d

Sorry for slight thread hijack, but do the 2011 X5 M come with LED angel eyes??

Thanks!
      09-13-2011, 05:12 AM   #9
stella123
Rep
Drives: x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
BMW Model Year 2011 Fall Update

* Press Release

Woodcliff Lake, N.J., September 8, 2010... For most BMW models, the 2011 model year began in spring 2010. Below, we outline each of the 2011 models including the changes that will take place from September production.

BMW’s new inline-6 gasoline engine.

Beginning with model year 2011 production, several BMW models (135i, 335i, 535i, 535i Gran Turismo, X5 xDrive35i, and X6 xDrive35i) will switch to the new, single twin-scroll turbocharged inline-6 “N55” engine. The newest BMW inline-6 engine is the first BMW inline-6 to combine turbocharging, High Precision direct fuel injection, and Valvetronic variable intake technology. It features a single, mid-sized turbocharger with a “twin-scroll” housing to boost performance and minimize the response lag. Together, this combination produces the same at 300hp and 300 lb-ft of the previous N54, but the fuel efficiency improves and the emissions are reduced.

A further advantage of turbocharging is that this is the most weight-efficient method to boost engine power and performance. The N55 turbocharged inline-6 weighs approximately 150 lbs. less than an equally powerful eight-cylinder engine displacing 4.0 liters. This lower weight means a significant advantage not only in fuel economy, but also in balancing the car's weight distribution.

Using Valvetronic for the first time on a turbocharged inline-6 allows the engine to “inhale” air for combustion with virtually no delay and with reduced pumping losses. As a result, the engine makes power more quickly than ever before, and this is proven by the N55’s ability to reach peak torque at 1200rpm, 200rpm earlier than its twin-turbo predecessor [N54].

Packaging is better for the new engine, as the BMW Digital Motor Electronics (DME) control unit is now mounted directly to the engine, shortening the required wiring harness length and providing more efficient cooling to the DME through the use of intake air. Furthermore, using a single turbocharger means only a single exhaust stream must find its way to the catalytic converter, so only a single catalytic converter is used on the new engine. The single catalytic converter can be activated more quickly at cold start than the preceding twin-catalyst configuration, so the new engine has a cleaner cold start emissions signature than its predecessor. The new “N55” engine will be installed in the 135i Coupe and Convertible, the 335i Sedan, Coupe and Convertible (excludes 335is models), the new 535i Sedan when it arrives this summer, the 535i Gran Turismo arriving this spring and finally, the X5 xDrive35i and X6 xDrive35i Sports Activity Vehicles® starting with April production.

2011 BMW X5 SAV®

For 2011, the BMW X5 models are enhanced with new powertrains and updated design. Innovative new design elements and powertrains are the result of over 4,000 new parts created by BMW designers and engineers for the 2011 BMW X5. Two of the X5’s powertrains are all-new for 2011, creating the new X5 xDrive50i ($59,275) and X5 xDrive35i ($46,675), in addition to the familiar BMW Advanced Diesel X5 xDrive35d ($52,175). All models receive a design update that enhances the brilliant focus and aesthetic appearance of the X5 brand. The gasoline models receive BMW’s new 8-speed automatic transmission for better acceleration and fuel efficiency.

The X5 xDrive50i features BMW’s 4.4-liter “reverse flow” V-8 engine with 400 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque, coupled to the new 8-speed automatic transmission. The X5 xDrive35i features BMW’s newest inline-6 engine (see Page 1), with 300 horsepower and 300 lb-ft, also coupled to the 8-speed automatic. These two models are capable of 0-60mph acceleration in 5.3 seconds and 6.4 seconds, respectively, while achieving EPA highway fuel efficiency ratings of 20 and 23 miles per gallon, respectively.

The updated body design of the 2011 BMW X5 is characterized by well-balanced proportions that accentuate the vehicle’s powerful presence and agility. A long wheelbase, short front and rear body overhangs, and large light-alloy wheels provide a visual balance between the front and rear of the vehicle. Square-shaped, carefully flared wheel arches hint at the X5’s all-wheel drive traction and other-roads capability. The body lines sweep upwards from the front and rear wheels, communicating BMW’s near-perfect 50-50 front-rear weight distribution which is so essential to the X5’s legendary driving dynamics.

The sides of the X5 are elegantly stretched though the strong horizontal lines of each side. The surface of the hood flows seamlessly into the waistline, while the prominent, gently inclined contour line at the door handle level extends from the front wheel arches to the rear of the vehicle. These character lines symbolize power, stability, and presence.

With its distinctively contoured hood, large BMW kidney grille and dual round headlights, the new BMW X5 boasts an expressive front end that symbolizes power and presence.

The newest interpretation of the X5’s look is led by the redesign of the front fascia and position of the standard fog lamps. Due to an increase in the number of elements painted body color, the front end gives the impression of being lower. At the same time, the increased size of both the central and outer air intakes hint at the boosted engine output. The black trim at the bottom edge of the body is now considerably narrower. A matte-finished silver protection plate extends across the entire width of the central air intake, emphasizing the muscular features of the SAV, and accentuates the new X5’s character.

An M Sport Package is now available on most X5 models, with sporty components perfectly matched to each vehicle. Last year showcased the introduction of the BMW Advanced Diesel-powered X5 xDrive35d. It features a 3.0-liter sequential twin-turbo inline-6 diesel engine with 265 horsepower and 425 lb-ft of torque. The X5 xDrive 35d offers class-leading performance and fuel efficiency: 0 – 60 mph in 6.9 seconds and an equally impressive 19 mpg city/26 mpg highway EPA rating.

2011 BMW X5 M AND X6 M

The X5 M and X6 M are unchanged for the 2011 model year.

Finding new ways to expand the boundaries of what is possible with existing BMW models has always been the singular purpose of the craftsmen at BMW M. The BMW X5 M and the BMW X6 M are the first all-wheel-drive models to offer the remarkable performance, dynamic driving experience, athletic design, and premium quality of a BMW M product.

Both models are powered by a new-concept BMW M engine that departs purposefully from the established ultra-high-revving V-8 and V-10 M engines powering the M3, M5 and M6 models. For power, torque, and response characteristics, BMW M has adapted twin turbocharging, High Precision direct fuel injection and accompanying new technologies that achieve the ever-consistent BMW M goal of the highest levels of performance and refinement.

Thanks to a special, M-tuned version of BMW’s Integrated Chassis Management, on-board systems including xDrive intelligent all-wheel drive and Dynamic Performance Control torque-vectoring system are maximized for handling while braking and accelerating under the most extreme circumstances. As a result, the X5 M and X6 M are able to maximize traction while precisely following the steering inputs of the driver.

The X5 M and X6 M are equipped with the M Drive system, which allows a driver to pre-configure the vehicle for maximum performance and feedback at a touch of the steering wheel-mounted M Button.

BMW EfficientDynamics

The Intelligent Way to Reduce Fuel Consumption and Emissions.

BMW’s commitment to reduce harmful emissions and help protect the environment is unique in the automobile industry. BMW applies its EfficientDynamics principles to each model by using lightweight components in key areas, new technologies for improved powertrain efficiency and more importantly, planned sustainability for the long term reduction of fuel consumption and emissions output.

A recent Environmental Defense report shows that BMW’s fleet average for CO2 emissions was reduced by 12% from 1990 - 2005 and its fuel economy improved by 14%, despite the introduction of many new passenger cars and light-duty trucks. This not only demonstrates our long-standing dedication to help the environment, but our ability to do so with every vehicle that wears the BMW roundel.

In this period of time, BMW has introduced many industry-leading technologies across its entire model range, such as Valvetronic throttle-less engine control, on-demand coolant and hydraulic pumps for reduced parasitic losses, and High-Precision Direct Injection. In 2009, BMW added two 50-state BMW Advanced Diesel models for an unprecedented combination of performance and low emissions. In some 2010 and 2011 models, BMW introduced Brake Energy Regeneration, Auto Start-Stop technology and two BMW ActiveHybrid models. It is our unending goal to develop technologies and vehicles designed to combine the efficiency our customers desire with dynamics and performance our customers expect.

BMW ConnectedDrive Innovations: Advanced on-board use of mobile phones and music players.

Beginning with September production there will be enhancements to BMW Assist with Bluetooth and the iPod/USB Adapter. These enhancements extend the functionality through improved integration of mobile devices into the vehicle. These new features are made possible by hardware advances. (All Models)

BMW Assist with Extended Bluetooth

The Bluetooth functionality is extended beyond hands-free and phonebook support with multiple innovations. Feature support is dependent upon compatibility with the mobile device.

RIM Smart Phone Integration
  • * Mobile Office: The industry-first mobile office integration of BlackBerry Smartphones, a customer can access email, text messages, and notes through the iDrive system providing seamless integration with the vehicle. Safety and avoiding driver distraction is paramount at BMW. In order to maintain the driver’s focus on the road, the vehicle’s voice control system (included with navigation) will read messages aloud via text-to-speech. The central screen will also display the only the first three lines of text. The full text can only be displayed when the vehicle is parked. Compatible BlackBerry hardware, firmware, and feature set will be announced later.
  • * vCard photo support: Images of contacts stored in your phonebook are downloaded from the device and shown on the vehicle display. When the mobile phone rings, a picture of the caller will appear on the vehicle display.
  • * External Call Lists: External call list handling downloads the “re-dial” and “received calls list” at every reconnect of the mobile device and after each call.
  • * Bluetooth Music Streaming: Bluetooth music streaming offers wireless audio streaming from the mobile device to the vehicle. Music stored on the mobile phone is played and controlled through the iDrive controller.

iPod/USB Adapter

· iPod One-wire integration: The iPod connection no longer requires the “Y-cable” for separate aux-input for sound. The iPod USB cable supplied with the iPod is all that is required to connect the device to the vehicle. The music is transferred directly from the iPod digitally to the sound system via the USB connection.· Album Cover Art: If cover art is contained in the metadata of a particular song, it will show on the vehicle display while the song is played.· Voice Control of Devices: The driver can control external devices and select genre, artist, album, and song title with the voice control system included with Navigation System.· Mobile Phone Device Driver Update: In combination with BMW Assist, the USB port can be used to upload new mobile phone and audio player device drivers. (Release timing for this feature and device driver availability are subject to change.)
Good information, thanks for the post
Appreciate 0