XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-08-2024, 02:26 PM   #1
StJNIS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 E70 xDrive 35i

Yet another crank no start issue but this one is weird

I recently bought a non-working blue 2012 E70 xDrive 35i (218k miles) with a crank and no start issue for dirt cheap (1300$) well optioned, underside almost factory clean, and came with another set of OEM wheels. It feels like it wants to start but doesn't. Engine is the 'new' N55

So here is what has been done:

-The Valvetronic servo motor was making a crackling noise so I replaced it and the noise is gone, but I can still hear the servo running which is great.
-No metal shavings in the oil filter
-Spark plugs are all firing
-Compression is around 200 on all cylinders
-Replaced injector seals with new Elring seals and put injectors back in the same cylinders they came out of
-Timing was checked with #1 at TDC and QR codes on both camshafts were facing up
-Borescope inspection reveals nothing bad inside the cylinders.
-Fuel rail pressure nominal 12MPa, actually got it up to 11MPa after a few cranks. Low-pressure fuel when engine off, but ignition on is 700kPa. I don't have any clue if these numbers are good. Can someone tell me what a healthy fuel system on these should read?
-Initially, I used a cheap generic OBD scanner which gave me these codes:

P10F5 Valvetronic Control Phase V Circuit Open Bank 1
P10DF Valvetronic Overload Protection Output Stage System Shutdown
P10E5 Internal Control Module Error, Control Circuit Valvetronic
P15FE Engine switch-off time, signal: missing |||| External Engine Off
Timer: No Signal
P0300 Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
PXXXX Cylinder 2,3,6 Misfire (separate codes)

Now that the engine is assembled I ordered an actual K-Dcan cable and hooked it up to ISTA+ 4.32.15. Cleared all the faults and watched for which faults would come back on.
See the attached picture for what faults came back on.

When trying to read SAE permanent codes I get hit with error:

Step 2 of 12
Please wait!
Error in testmodule: ABL_DIT_AS1236_SAE_PERM_ANZ
Any way this could be fixed?

Now it seems like it almost started but still no luck. What else could be the problem? What should I do now?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 10:05 AM   #2
jbash87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M5, 2012 X5d, 2008 E91

Garage List
2012 BMW X5 35d  [10.00]
2006 BMW M5  [10.00]
Might want to try calculating the test plan and running through the valvetronic motor diagnosis. That seems to be the only fault that could be related to your no start condition.

what does the "SAE Fault code input" tab say?
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2024, 05:21 PM   #3
StJNIS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 E70 xDrive 35i

SAE fault code input tab just lets me manually search for what those codes mean. I can't read any SAE fault codes as I get hit with an error.

I suppose the Valvetronic fault is because I replaced the servo motor but didn't program it to the car yet as that requires the engine to run.

Next on my list is going to be replacing High Pressure fuel sensor as that might be showing too high pressure and that way giving the pump signals to give less fuel and ultimately ending up depriving the engine of fuel. By the sound the engine makes when cranking it is getting some fuel just not enough. Minor combustion can be heard and felt every few turns.
Appreciate 0