XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

09-26-2015, 12:46 AM   #1
DrMattN40
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

carbon filter delete

Anyone running X5M or X6M with the carbon filters removed?

Positives?
Negatives?

Thanks for the input.
      09-26-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

That thinking is from the 60's and 70's muscle car era ... when paper air filters were restrictive. Nowadays it's part of your federal emission requirements, and can be fined if caught, but that's not the most important part ...

Nowadays, BMW engines (as well as others) are carefully designed and highly calibrated machines. Computers monitor airflow and combustion efficiency for optimum operation, etc etc. Changing or removing the air filters would alter that air-to-fuel ratio and you may not pass emissions.

Plus it's not good for your BMW engine to inhale unfiltered air ... and you gain zero benefit from removing them!

EDIT: BTW, are you referring to the first or second filter picture? The first two carbon (charcoal) filters are CABIN air filters ... I wouldn't remove them either ...

But since you have an M, you may have carbon pre-filters for you engine on your car ... don't know.

... and according to the this post - http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=24, there is nothing to be gained (and I agree!).

Last edited by PAX5; 09-26-2015 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, i3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
That thinking is from the 60's and 70's muscle car era ... when paper air filters were restrictive. Nowadays it's part of your federal emission requirements, and can be fined if caught, but that's not the most important part ...

Nowadays, BMW engines (as well as others) are carefully designed and highly calibrated machines. Computers monitor airflow and combustion efficiency for optimum operation, etc etc. Changing or removing the air filters would alter that air-to-fuel ratio and you may not pass emissions.

Plus it's not good for your BMW engine to inhale unfiltered air ... and you gain zero benefit from removing them!
This guy hasn't a clue what carbon filters are.

To the OP:
Sure, remove them. They are in place to stop fumes escaping the engine through the intake when the car is OFF. Less restriction is always good.

CURRENT ll F10 M5 l E85 Z4MR l I01 i3 REX
SOLD ll E70 X5M l E85 Z4MR VF570 l E36/7 Z3MR l E36 328i
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

I removed mine and passed emissions inspection with no problem...as for any gains, I didn't really notice a difference
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #5
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M Roadster View Post

To the OP:
Sure, remove them. They are in place to stop fumes escaping the engine through the intake when the car is OFF. Less restriction is always good.
What he said....

Yea I've removed them on my previous e90 and my 4th gen 4runner. I installed k&n in both those too. No side effects and no u will never be fined or anything. It's not part of your required emmisions.

I have yet to be unlazy and go do it to the e70 now
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #6
DrMattN40
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M Roadster View Post

To the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattivo View Post
I removed mine and passed emissions inspection with no problem...as for any gains, I didn't really notice a difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by racermp View Post
What he said....

Yea I've removed them on my previous e90 and my 4th gen 4runner. I installed k&n in both those too. No side effects and no u will never be fined or anything. It's not part of your required emmisions.

I have yet to be unlazy and go do it to the e70 now
Thanks guys! I appreciate the input.
      09-27-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
I have a Canadian spec car. There are no carbon filters in mine from factory.

Appreciate 0