XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

04-04-2014, 04:53 AM   #1
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

Suggestion for downpipes on x6 35i

Hey guys, im looking for some new downpipes, and im asking for some suggestions in brand i should look for. I want a deeper sound without changing my whole exhaust system. Any good brands within the 500 range?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
RaceTruk
Major
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by askylitdrive View Post
Hey guys, im looking for some new downpipes, and im asking for some suggestions in brand i should look for. I want a deeper sound without changing my whole exhaust system. Any good brands within the 500 range?

Thanks
i have the ER F10 dp on my N55 x5.
should be the same for you.
but if you dont plan of tuning, an exhaust would be a better option if noise is all your going for.
or start with removing the valve on the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTruk
Quote:

Thanks
i have the ER F10 dp on my N55 x5.
should be the same for you.
but if you dont plan of tuning, an exhaust would be a better option if noise is all your going for.
or start with removing the valve on the exhaust
Did you notice your exhaust being louder? And where d you order it? I might do a jb4 stage 1 in the next year but for noq, i might just go with a DP. One last thing, did you have to chop anything from your stock exhaust?

Thanks for the reply
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

I am not sure anything is available for $500, without a tune it is likely your check engine light will come on and possibly you could go into limp mode.
      04-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
badblkX6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6 35i

If you are looking to change the exhaust note and not run a tune I would recommend removing the exhaust valve on the muffler like RaceTruk said. I did this to mine and it made the exhaust a little bit louder and more aggressive.

If that still doesn't do it for you, then I would look at replacing the muffler or doing a muffler delete. That should be loud enough for you.

If you want to do a downpipe with the stock muffler, you will increase sound and performance, but you will have a check engine light on since you will no longer have a catalytic converter on your car so you will throw codes. You will need a tune to clear/hide this from being a light on your dash. I wouldn't recommend doing a catted downpipe. I find it to be pointless even though others will say differ.

Try the exhaust valve first. It takes a few minutes to do and is easily reversible.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the input and suggestions! Badblk, i just did the "golf tee" mod today but not with a golf tee. I did the stainless steel zip tie for now. I noticed the difference in idle and driving a little but i was wondering, if i did the golf tee way, do i NEED to plug the actuators nipple or can i leave it? If i do leave it what will happen?
Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
badblkX6
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6 35i

Quote:
Thanks for the input and suggestions! Badblk, i just did the "golf tee" mod today but not with a golf tee. I did the stainless steel zip tie for now. I noticed the difference in idle and driving a little but i was wondering, if i did the golf tee way, do i NEED to plug the actuators nipple or can i leave it? If i do leave it what will happen?
Thanks again
You do not need to use the golf tee on the X6. You did the same thing as the golf tee mod by using the zip tie.

On the 335i, there was a tube which you would unplug and put a golf tee in its place, hence the ""golf tee" mod. This tube would go into the muffler. Our X6's have a slightly different layout, but making the change with the zip ties has the same effect on the exhaust note as a golf tee would if you had a 335i.

You should be all set and hope you are enjoying it a little more than stock exhaust. Good luck going with full custom soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblkX6 View Post
You do not need to use the golf tee on the X6. You did the same thing as the golf tee mod by using the zip tie.

On the 335i, there was a tube which you would unplug and put a golf tee in its place, hence the ""golf tee" mod. This tube would go into the muffler. Our X6's have a slightly different layout, but making the change with the zip ties has the same effect on the exhaust note as a golf tee would if you had a 335i.

You should be all set and hope you are enjoying it a little more than stock exhaust. Good luck going with full custom soon!
Alright good to know! ill upload some videoclips of the new exhaust soon. You've been very helpful, I appreciate it, Thanks!
Appreciate 0