XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
Blivit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Rear hatch calibration?

If nothing is replaced, and the hatch will move up and down, if the latch itself or the rubber bumpers are moved is there any calibration that needs to be done?

Again, I cannot get my rear hatch to latch completely. This has been an issue off and on for a few years. The hatch will open and close automatically but will not fully latch which turns on the "trunk open" error and usually leaves the back interior lights on.

I have adjusted the main latch several times and can usually get it to close completely. Then out of nowhere it will start doing it again. I will adjust again, it's fine...then starts not latching again. I have also tried moving the rubber bumpers. Sometimes that works but always it will start not latching again.

This last time I got it working completely and marked every position with a marker. It was fine for a few weeks then started not latching again. I checked my marks and nothing had moved out of position. How is that possible? Could the latch motor be failing? Is there a relearn that has to be done any time something is moved?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #2
Nyc Dito
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35d

Once in a blue I get that "trunk open" message and I have to re-adjust the latch on the lower lid. I've also raised/lowered the bump stops and even the catch hooks on the inside to the left and right. Its pretty annoying when it happens.

Anyhow from what I remember, Newtis didnt show anything about calibration. If it does, I may have missed it. Hopefully someone can confirm Newtis or provide calibration info.
      03-11-2021, 10:57 AM   #3
Blivit
Private
Rep

lol This POS...

Last night it wouldn't latch. Trunk open error, rear lights on...I messed with it for a bit before it got dark and couldn't get it to latch. Gave up, pulled the light bulbs out so they didn't stay on, "closed" the hatch and left it like that.

Wife goes out this morning to the store where she opened and closed the hatch. "oh the trunk was fine this morning. it closed and latched completely and no error message" WTF!?!
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      03-18-2021, 10:52 AM   #4
Blivit
Private
Rep

More of the same. It was great for 1 week. Then, at the end of our family camping trip, trunk open error again.

It seems in my case the motor is not able to consistently pull the door fully closed. I am going to try a second motor/latch. Found a few used...we'll see...
Appreciate 1
Nyc Dito112.50
      03-19-2021, 03:41 PM   #5
Molez93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M, 2001 740i

I've never had that exact dynamic or problem, but my own latching "process" made irregular noise and occasionally failed to latch completely.

Issues went away after I replaced the locking mechanism. I made a modest write-up of it. The part was pretty inexpensive and only required an hour or two of effort.

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...ear+hatch+lock

Last edited by Molez93; 03-19-2021 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: link for prior thread
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #6
Blivit
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molez93 View Post
I've never had that exact dynamic or problem, but my own latching "process" made irregular noise and occasionally failed to latch completely.

Issues went away after I replaced the locking mechanism. I made a modest write-up of it. The part was pretty inexpensive and only required an hour or two of effort.

https://www.xbimmers.com/forums/show...ear+hatch+lock
Thanks. Hadn't really looked at the upper portion. I am not getting any noises though (other than sounds made when it's not fully latched.)

My situation is usually that the liftgate always moves up and down and will latch to the bottom but then the bottom motor cannot always pull the liftgate completely closed. All the motors cycle and do not grind. The bottom motor pulls the liftgate in some then like it stops and releases it back out 1/4" or so.

Eh, the damn thing started working again today lol. It would appear it will be a cycle of every few days my blood pressure goes up and I feel like driving this thing off a cliff when the liftgate decides it doesn't want to close anymore lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 07:06 PM   #7
Molez93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M, 2001 740i

Iirc, mine struggled to open cleanly. If it's the same mechanism, hopefully that could solve the problem regardless.
Appreciate 0