XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
thesus
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M (Carbon Black)

20" X6M Snow Tires - Found Them!

It took a while, but I found some 315/35/20 snow tires for my new X6M. The only brand/model that are available are the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow RFT. Tirerack.com has some but I got mine through Discount Tire. So far, I would rate the tires about a 6 out of 10 in terms of winter weather performance - hopefully they improve a little bit before I get up to the mountains for ski season. . .

http://http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Ice+ %26+Snow+RFT[/URL]

Note: The 275/40/20 tires for the front are widely available, but the 315s are much harder to find. . .
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
scottyv
Modding Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 5.0

Oh man!

Nice find, I just ordered 4 x 20" replica style 214 Y-spoke 9.5" rims to put my 275/40/20 Scorpions on all fours for $1069, this option you found would have saved me some dough. I should have them by next week.

I have the staggered summer 20" setup on my X6 5.0, and 295 was the widest snow tire I could find for my rears until today.

I'm thinking the slightly narrower 9.5 rim vs the 10" standard (front) will help give a little more rubber on the face of the tire to protect the rims & hopefully I can do the carwash without any scuffs. My existing summer 275's are right at the edge of the stock 10" fronts rims on the OEM setup.

I am also thinking that's an awful wide rear tire for snow no matter how good the snow tire is, 275 is really even a bit of stretch.

I'd like to hear from you on how the rear end does in the deep snow, I'd be real curious.

So for the $1069 I spent on the winter rims, I don't feel so bad I guess.

I'll have no mounting & dismounting and a narrower set of cheaper rims I can abuse in the wonderful Michigan salt & pothole filled roads, and save my summers rims & tires for better weather.

We'll see how the Pirelli's do in this arrangement soon enough. BTW I didn't do Run-flat snow tires as I have a compact spare.

But nice find all in all.
2010 Alpine White X6 5.0 with Oyster Leather / Dark Wood Trim -- Sport Package with 20" Style 259 Wheels, Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, 7RR Performance Pkg, Active Steering, Running Boards, Rear View Cam & Top view, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Climate Pkg, Comfort Access, Space Saver Spare, Sat Radio, Smartphone Integration
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
Rac10000
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyv View Post
Oh man!

Nice find, I just ordered 4 x 20" replica style 214 Y-spoke 9.5" rims to put my 275/40/20 Scorpions on all fours for $1069, this option you found would have saved me some dough. I should have them by next week.

I have the staggered summer 20" setup on my X6 5.0, and 295 was the widest snow tire I could find for my rears until today.

I'm thinking the slightly narrower 9.5 rim vs the 10" standard (front) will help give a little more rubber on the face of the tire to protect the rims & hopefully I can do the carwash without any scuffs. My existing summer 275's are right at the edge of the stock 10" fronts rims on the OEM setup.

I am also thinking that's an awful wide rear tire for snow no matter how good the snow tire is, 275 is really even a bit of stretch.

I'd like to hear from you on how the rear end does in the deep snow, I'd be real curious.

So for the $1069 I spent on the winter rims, I don't feel so bad I guess.

I'll have no mounting & dismounting and a narrower set of cheaper rims I can abuse in the wonderful Michigan salt & pothole filled roads, and save my summers rims & tires for better weather.

We'll see how the Pirelli's do in this arrangement soon enough. BTW I didn't do Run-flat snow tires as I have a compact spare.

But nice find all in all.
You're set-up sounds good! Where did you order the rims from?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
scottyv
Modding Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 5.0

RAC PM me and I'll give you the links
2010 Alpine White X6 5.0 with Oyster Leather / Dark Wood Trim -- Sport Package with 20" Style 259 Wheels, Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, 7RR Performance Pkg, Active Steering, Running Boards, Rear View Cam & Top view, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Climate Pkg, Comfort Access, Space Saver Spare, Sat Radio, Smartphone Integration
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
DoctaM3
500+ HP Club
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i8; 2023 BMW M4 CSL

Garage List
2023 BMW M4 CSL  [0.00]
2008 Audi S6 V10  [0.00]
2014 BMW i8  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [0.00]
I bought mine over a week ago. Very happy I won't have to change the setup for my ride with smaller rim. Tirerack is a good place to get them. I doubt they will have tons of these. I am waiting to put these on-when the snow hits, then they go on. Until then, rock on!
Appreciate 0