XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-09-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
EX6
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 5.0

Batteries

Having had 3 flat batteries in 3 months.....BMW have now replaced mine (after exhaustive tests) with a heavy duty battery.

I think that BMW are starting to realise that they made a significant design error in calculating the power consumption with all of the "boot up" and systems requirements.....not to mention ALL of the interior and exterior convenience lights that come on when unlocking the car.

Anyone else experienced similar?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Battery Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by EX6 View Post
Having had 3 flat batteries in 3 months.....BMW have now replaced mine (after exhaustive tests) with a heavy duty battery.

I think that BMW are starting to realise that they made a significant design error in calculating the power consumption with all of the "boot up" and systems requirements.....not to mention ALL of the interior and exterior convenience lights that come on when unlocking the car.

Search for battery issues dated late '08 early '09 for part numbers.
read Car & Driver's article about their longterm x6 tester which had the WRONG BATTERY installed from the factory!.
Most dealers mechanics ASSUME THAT THE CAR COMES W/ the correct one...WRONG!
i HAD BATTERY ISSUES UNTIL I READ THE C/D ARTICLE & put 2 & 2 together!
& had them check.
DEtailed in past posts. Do a search back.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by EX6 View Post

If you do a search on this forum you will find a lot folks had battery issues due to the wrong battery being installed. There was an SB on this. BMW knew this in 08 and started replacing batteries. Anyone that has pre 10 should have there SA check the SB (easy to check part number), the wrong battery manifests itself in all kinds of ways ( bad fuel pump, clock reset, setting not saved,etc).
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Battery problems are also attributed to those who have Comfort Access. If you have CA and leave your key in the car overnight..(say in an attached garage) your ECU remains awake and drains your battery. My parents used to do this every night. Both of their cars had CA and both of their cars had their batteries replaced after a couple months. If this does not apply to you then you may be one of those people who had an incorrect battery installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

CA draining battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
Battery problems are also attributed to those who have Comfort Access. If you have CA and leave your key in the car overnight..(say in an attached garage) your ECU remains awake and drains your battery. My parents used to do this every night. Both of their cars had CA and both of their cars had their batteries replaced after a couple months. If this does not apply to you then you may be one of those people who had an incorrect battery installed.
Would that still be a problem if you lock the car in the attached garage? & leave the key close by?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 06:11 AM   #6
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

From what I understand it is 10 feet. You have to take the key over 10 feet away from the car to halt communication between the fob and the ecu.
Appreciate 0