XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Exclamation BMW Announces Voluntary N54 Engine (HPFP) and X5 Recall

This just in:

ABC aired a story segment on this morning's Good Morning America (video) on the BMW high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) issue as well as a full-length piece on tonight's Nightline. This has helped prompt BMW to take the following action.

Also see the main discussion thread for this topic - http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=447262

Quote:
BMW to Conduct Voluntary Emissions and Safety Recalls

* Press Release

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – October 26, 2010... BMW of North America has notified the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) of its intent to conduct a voluntary recall of some model year 2007-2010 BMWs equipped with twin-turbo inline six-cylinder engines, all of which feature BMW’s High Precision Injection direct fuel injection system. It has also asked for approval from the California Air Resources Board to conduct this action. Affected vehicles may experience a failure of the high-pressure fuel pump.

Symptoms include long-crank engine starting times along with the illumination of the “Service Engine Soon” light. In certain cases, the driver may experience reduced engine performance in a Safe Mode accompanied by a tone and the illumination of the “Engine Malfunction” light.

Based on the individual service history of the vehicle, the action will entail replacement of the high-pressure fuel pump and/or a software update.

Approximately 130,000 vehicles are potentially affected with about 40,000 expected to require a new high pressure fuel pump. Affected BMW models include:
  • MY 2007–2010 335i models.
  • MY 2008–2010 135i, 535i and X6 xDrive35i Sports Activity Coupes
  • MY 2009 – 2010 Z4 Roadster sDrive35i

In a separate action, BMW has notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that it will voluntarily recall approximately 20,800 MY 2008 X5 Sports Activity Vehicles equipped with normally-aspirated inline six-cylinder engines to replace the low-pressure fuel pump. In this case, should the fuel pump experience a failure, the engine will stop running and the driver will lose power assist for the steering and brakes although both the steering and the brakes remain operational.

Letters will be sent by First Class mail to owners of affected vehicles in the coming weeks, requesting the scheduling of a service appointment with an Authorized BMW Center to have the update performed.

No injuries have been reported with either of these issues.

In the case of either issue, if the customer experiences a problem, they should contact their authorized BMW Center. Customers with additional questions should contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-563-4269 or email CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
imposss
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 Comprtetion

does it affrct canada?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Lol!!

It's about time.....
      10-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Henry1515
Private
Singapore
Rep
Drives: X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by imposss View Post
does it affrct canada?
What about Singapore? They come from the same factory right? If they export to Asia then it should affect too right? Very confused.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 02:07 AM   #5
raceman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82

Official Statement of Raceman

Dear BMW listen now!

THIS KIND OF ACTION SHOULD COVER ALL WORLD.
I PAID ALMOST 160.000 USD TO GET X6 IN MY COUNTRY (OPPOSED TO LOUSY 65-75 K AMERICAN BUYERS PAY).
IT IS LUXURY PRODUCT, AS I CAN GET SAME SIZE, LESS POWER, BUT ENOUGH AND SIMILAR FUNCTIONALITY FOR 75.000 USD FROM SEVERAL ADMIRED COMPETITORS.
ALL X6 OWNERS OF AROUND THE WORLD SHOULD REQUIRE SAME, AS THIS PUMP ISSUE SEEMS TO BE REGULAR PROBLEM.
I EXPECT THAT DEALER WILL BE FORCED TO REPLACE IT ASAP.
IF NOT, I'LL TRIGGER STRONG ACTION AND CAMPAIGN AGAINST BMW IN MY COUNTRY (I KNOW AT LEAST 15 OWNERS PERSONALLY).
WE ALL, LOVE BMW AND EXPECT LOVE OF BMW TO BE SHOWN TO US, TOO.

Raceman
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I wish ABC would have asked tough questions.

i.e. Do you have a fix? According to online reports you don't. Is the recall a smoke screen or will you really be solving the issue?
      10-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
x6xdrive50i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6 50I

If they replace the HPFP with the exact same ones these engines came with, it won't be a fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by imposss View Post
does it affrct canada?
Nope, not according to BMW Canada.

My father has been back and forth with the dealer and BMW Canada recently as his HPFP has been going for a while. Long starts, enging hesitation, limp mode. Their initial solution was the magical "software re-flash" which of course did nothing.

There are conflicting reports however, as apparently Transport Canada has said that BMW is issuing a recall....even though BMW Canada denies it.

If you are having issues report it to Transport Canada so that they will log and track the multiple issues. Maybe then BMW Canada will get their ass in gear and resolve the issues up here as well.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...s-index-76.htm
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Nope, not according to BMW Canada.

My father has been back and forth with the dealer and BMW Canada recently as his HPFP has been going for a while. Long starts, enging hesitation, limp mode. Their initial solution was the magical "software re-flash" which of course did nothing.

There are conflicting reports however, as apparently Transport Canada has said that BMW is issuing a recall....even though BMW Canada denies it.

If you are having issues report it to Transport Canada so that they will log and track the multiple issues. Maybe then BMW Canada will get their ass in gear and resolve the issues up here as well.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/s...s-index-76.htm
Apparently Transport Canada actually listened and has got BMW Canada to deal with this issue. My father received a personal phone call and this email after lodging a formal complaint.

It is silly that they are calling this an "emissions" issue and not a safety one. As such, this will not be posted on Transport Canada's website.

Quote:
Dear Mr. XXX XXXX:

We are pleased to provide you with an update to your inquiry to Transport Canada concerning the fuel pump problem you reported to us.

BMW Canada has determined that an emissions-related problem exists on some 17,798 -2007 to 2010 model year BMW vehicles. These vehicles are certain BMW 1 Series, 3 Series, 5 Series, X6 and Z4 vehicles equipped with the N54 twin-turbo in-line 6 Cylinder engine.

Owners will receive mailed notification beginning in November 2010. Corrective action will consist of replacement of the high pressure fuel pump and/or a software update on all affected vehicles.

This notice and recall is being conducted in Canada by BMW Canada, as a requirement under Environment Canada's Canadian Environmental Protection Act, (CEPA) 1999. This is not part of Transport Canada's Motor Vehicle Safety Act, (MVSA). This recall will not be listed on Transport Canada's Website.

Should you require additional information, we are pleased to provide the following contacts:

Environment Canada: email - vehicleandengineinfo@ec.gc.ca

BMW Canada: email - customer.service@bmw.ca Telephone: (800) 567 2691

Thank you for your inquiry to Transport Canada, and for your participation in our Road Safety Programs.

Yours sincerely,

XXX XXXX
Senior Investigator | Enquêteur Principal
Recall and Defects | Rappel et Défauts
Transport Canada | Transports Canada, ASFAD
Road Safety | Sécurité routière
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
coachk101
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6

I have had 2 fuel pumps go bad in my 2009 X6.....I'm on my 3rd.

Keep my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0