XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #1
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2016

Quality of the rims

guys i`m thinking to buy my self a new set of Giovanna Dollar, anybody can say how is they quality ?? tia
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #2
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Giovanna's are very very expensive rims. Buying rims like those works sort of like this...

Say the rims cost.. $7,000.00... Take that money and split it into 4 piles. Right off the bat you are burning the first pile. They are now used rims. So you lose that. One year later you can burn the second pile, and so on until they are worthless.

Their quality is very high. Their maintenance requirements are ALSO very high. If you are willing to be out there cleaning your rims 4-5 days a week. I say go for it. But even if you do, the rim valuation I spoke about still applies.

Rims are literally the worst investment you can make. It is solely for personal satisfaction. I have had rims on the last two cars I had, I loved them. They were awesome. But I did not, and will not put them on the X. It is a truck, I live in NYC and our roads are fucking terrible. You can avoid all the potholes you want, until you can't. And then you have to replace a $2,000.00 rim and a $600.00 tire.

Just some stuff to think about.

Last edited by NYCGP; 06-23-2011 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

This is true. Big waste of money. You will need to clean them often. Being from NYC just adds to the headache with potholes and curb rashes on the wheels. So far I done it twice to my stock wheels and it broke my heart :/
But those wheels are nice, personally I would get HRE's though
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
mohit
Rep
Drives: BMW x6

here is my 2cents...

I was in the market for rims for my X6, i considered giovanna and forgiato but my rim guy told me to stay away from those brands, he said their quality is not very good, i ended up buying the HRE P90L 22" which should come in a month. I would suggest you go with HRE, Vellano or DPE and if you are willing to $$$ then go for hamman. You need to understand the difference between a 3 pieces and a 1 piece wheel. If your living in a pothole/damage prone place then you should consider a 3 piece like vellano, if the wheel gets damaged you can change just that part and not the whole wheel, you can also do some sweet customizations to the wheels (check out vellanos site). Here is a picture of a 24" vellano on a x6 that my rim guy installed...

http://www.permaisuri.com/autoshow/a...--Update-.html

and another one with AUTOCOUTURE

http://www.permaisuri.com/autoshow/a...TOCOUTURE.html
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
GMP - MATTHEW
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
here is my 2cents...

I was in the market for rims for my X6, i considered giovanna and forgiato but my rim guy told me to stay away from those brands, he said their quality is not very good,
+1 Stay away! Trust me. HRE makes the best wheels money can buy and some of the most classy wheels money can buy, ADV.1 has some nice wheels too, I would stick with a sporty wheel since that's what the X6 is "Sporty", also check out Modulare Forged Wheels. I think between those three brands you will be able to not only find something you like, but guaranteed a quality forged wheel. If you want a wheel that looks good, finish is great, strong and fits perfect everytime check out those three brands.

With that said I have some of the best prices on all these brands so feel free to contact me.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Is that just me?? Cuz i cant see any good HRE rims, for me they looks ugly, i mean.........i dont know.........they relly looks ugly....unless i havent seen some thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Whatever you do, just make sure it will stand the NYC pothole abuse
I cracked and bent so many rims on my 335i (19s)
Thousands of other people had their tires bubbled
Now, when i go there on my stock 20s, i feel much less paranoid
It's not super-low profile, so it has some cussion
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
DK35
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: The MONSTR

Garage List
2010 X6 50i  [9.34]
its not so much the low profile that gets you on these roads as is a deep lip.....i.e...deep dish....there is no support for the rim and crack.....if you have a wheel without a lip its much stronger and can withstand more abuse........i was never a fan of deep lipped rims anyhow..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DK35 View Post
its not so much the low profile that gets you on these roads as is a deep lip.....i.e...deep dish....there is no support for the rim and crack.....if you have a wheel without a lip its much stronger and can withstand more abuse........i was never a fan of deep lipped rims anyhow..
All of my rims (mostly rears, see sig) cracked in the inner section (inside)
No lip at all
And trust me, it's the low profile that gets you
Impact has to translate its force somewhere
When you riding on rubber bands, rim has to take the majority of this energy
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
DK35
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: The MONSTR

Garage List
2010 X6 50i  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
All of my rims (mostly rears, see sig) cracked in the inner section (inside)
No lip at all
And trust me, it's the low profile that gets you
Impact has to translate its force somewhere
When you riding on rubber bands, rim has to take the majority of this energy
well yeah...there are a bunch of factors that contribute...overall its risky no matter what way you look at it i guess....
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 02:37 PM   #11
UAxDEATH(NYC)
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok any good picture of rims on x6 ?? something like 22'' ?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

My X6 is on 22"s and I have to tell you that most of these guys in the City are right. I'm usually between Queens and BK and unless you don't mind keeping her at 30 -40 MPH so you can react quickly and dodge potholes, you will have issues. I do love the look of the 22"s on the X6, but to be honest, unless i go to L.I., i can't drive her the way she wants to be driven. The potholes are murder on the low profile tires but like I said, if you don't mind slowing it down abit to avoid hitting them, you should be fine. Just keep a lil stash of cash in reserve to relplace the wheel/rim if it happens. Drive safe!!
      06-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
KPB75
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 sedan

Here is what I can say, all aftermarket rims are junk, no matter what way they are forged and how many pieces.....3 piece, 1 piece whatever, they are all junk and money is literally thrown away....I have seen tons of HRE, DPE and Adv wheels bend and crack like twigs on NYC roads....

Stay with BMW OEM RIMS and you will be happy and DO NOT go over 21" unless you have money to burn ......rest is your decision....
Appreciate 0