XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
JIMX681
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M Comp

Tire tread wear from being lowered?

I have the truck lowered with H&R springs. The inside tread of my tires has worn really bad and fast. The rest of the tire tread still has about 60% tread left, and the inner inch of the tire is bald. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how to correct it. I am about to put new tires on and I don't want the same thing to happen to the new ones. I had it aligned at a BMW dealer and they told me they got it as close to factory spec as possible, and it was still far off.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
I dont know if this any help to you, but on my 335i rears inside were wearing off much quicker than stock wheels
All i did is upgraded from 18s to 19s from 255 to 265 width
No lowering or other suspension mods
One thing to note though, offset was a bit more aggressive than stock
Wheels in the rear looked more flush with the fender
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4/ 15 328d

[QUOTE=JIMX681;9816363]I have the truck lowered with H
      06-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Glina
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

When you lower a car you also need Camber/Toe kit. Only if you want to do it right!!!!

http://www.iapdirect.com/product.php?productid=42174
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda, bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMX681 View Post
I have the truck lowered with H&R springs. The inside tread of my tires has worn really bad and fast. The rest of the tire tread still has about 60% tread left, and the inner inch of the tire is bald. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, how to correct it. I am about to put new tires on and I don't want the same thing to happen to the new ones. I had it aligned at a BMW dealer and they told me they got it as close to factory spec as possible, and it was still far off.

I'm no X6 expert, but sounds like your suspension geometry is off, and the stock adjustment range apparently can't accommodate for the degree of drop. it's just a matter of geometry, no real way around it with the fixed lengths and mounting points of stock suspension pieces.

cars tuned for track racing often run negative camber (top of wheels tilting toward the middle of the car) to improve tire contact during hard cornering, but uneven tire wear is inevitable. I'm assuming you don't autocross your x6 or anything, so if you want to prevent uneven wear you may need to get an aftermarket "camber kit" or a custom-fabricated linkage.

try asking H&R if they make any pieces for the x6.

?anyone have thoughts about unmounting the tires and swapping L <--> R?

pretty steep price to pay for the lowered look, but your car is quite stunning. alas, nothing for free... *sigh*
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glina View Post
When you lower a car you also need Camber/Toe kit. Only if you want to do it right!!!!

http://www.iapdirect.com/product.php?productid=42174

yeah.

like he said.

(beat me to it, Glina!)
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
JIMX681
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5M Comp

I already looked around for the camber kit and asked a few local shops and could not find one. The link you posted I think is for a rear kit. My rear tires are wearing perfectly. I guess I need to call H&R
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 12:34 AM   #8
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMX681 View Post
I already looked around for the camber kit and asked a few local shops and could not find one. The link you posted I think is for a rear kit. My rear tires are wearing perfectly. I guess I need to call H&R
sometimes they can even out front wheel tire wear by futzing around with the toe angle, but that results in lot of scrub / wasted rubber / wasted energy and isn't optimal from either an economic or a handling standpoint. This MAY NOT (i really dunno for sure) extend the life of the tires much, but the wear may be more even from inner to outer edge so you won't be fooled into thinking you have good tread when half your tire is bald.

let us know if you find a front camber kit.

until you get this sorted sorted out, DRIVE SAFE and watch out for puddles!
Appreciate 0